Do you weigh yourself everyday? Why or why not?

Options

Replies

• michelejoann
    michelejoann Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz says that it is ok. I agree with the others who gave their input.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but you think it's OK because Dr. Oz says that it's OK? Yeesh.

Think for yourself!
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just can't help myself - I guess I'm a bit obsessed. I even have two scales - one digital and one manual and of course they both give different readings. I use the higher total, however, I just do this for myself and don't log it in until I've lost at least two pounds and have maintained that weight for a few days.
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Every day and just because - I am at least as much interested in making sure I am hydrated for cycling purposes than in my weight. Also, I do like to see the fat percentage below 10.

^^^ This (Only I wish my BF% was below 10! :-/ ) ^^^
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day and log it on my computer (not MFP) for a permanent record. Sunday I was 7 pounds higher then Friday, Monday I was 2 pounds higher, today I am 1 pound higher then Friday.

If I only weighed on Sundays - it would look very scary (7 pounds over!!)- but it does indicate I slipped, since I should be 1 pound less. If I had not weighed myself Sunday I would not have seen the warning and would not have been alert to cut down and be diligent yesterday.

I only record my weight in MFP if it clearly drops (not a drop from sweating workouts), or it stays more that 2 pounds higher for 3 days.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in everyday but would get frustrated because ur weigh does go up and down. I weigh in once a wk although I am tempted to weigh in more than that. The scale is not my enemy anymore like it was in the past........:wink:
  • MrsSweetT
    MrsSweetT Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I do...I just can't help but to know how I'm progressing and it keeps me motivated. However, I know there will be days when I want lose a pound or even gain a pound and I've just recently experienced a weight increase for several days but I didn't let that discourage me b/c I know I'll have days of fluctuating weight. Most of the time seeing the weight going down on the scale have me pumped to workout even harder for better results. I think I'll always weigh myself every morning...
  • senseimartin
    Options
    I try to concentrate on the positive. I weigh myself every single morning and as soon as the scale shows a weight that is less than previously logged, I log that weight. It's like a commitment to me. Today I was 205 - a full pound lighter than 5 days ago. I'm committed now to maintaining that weight / losing more. I understand that there will be fluctuations and if I get on the scale tomorrow, I may be 206 or 207, but I don't record that. My goal is now to be less than 205.

And in another 5 - 7 days I should be 204. :happy:
  • bethanylaugh
    bethanylaugh Posts: 237
    Options
    This is definitely a personal thing... I prefer to because it keeps me in check and keeps me on track! BUT you have to be really reasonable about it and realize it can go up and down a LOT. I only actually document it on Thursdays. If it's going to mess with your head and break your motivation, only do it once a week (or month) on the same day/time!!!
  • herstrawberri
    herstrawberri Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day. It keeps me accountable. I've also become in tune with my body flucuations, so it doesn't ruin my day if there is a huge gain. I know it will go back down. Not everyone can do this though.
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. More data gives you a better understanding of what is happening with your weight.
  • amylou1977
    amylou1977 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    only once a week,
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I have started weighing myself every day, but only log on Mondays. But I am not one of those people who gets depressed if there no change so its ok. I like to see what my body is up to. :)
  • pagingdoctork
    pagingdoctork Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself maybe one a month or so, but I'm not trying to lose. If I do it more often, it kind of freaks me out to where I want to lose weight, even though I'm already underweight.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I do it every day because I'm anal. That's pretty much it. :P I only log every week or so though.
  • beezlebubb
    beezlebubb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
    I'd rather correct a 2 lb. gain than a 10lb. one. And although I know "they" say it fluctuates daily, when I'm maintaining I try to stay within a alb range of my goal. Weighing myself daily also lets me know how different foods affect my body.

I really don't see the bad that could come from it. Like when people say "You'll obsess over your weight that way", um, HELLO!? I already do. This just gives me more information, and most likely reassurance.
  • beanie1119
    beanie1119 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    No, I don't anymore. I used to weigh myself every day, night, and a few times in between, but I really believe it was hindering my weight loss. I saw the number on the scale inch down each day, but those tiny losses (even if they were happening every day) were not motivating. And if I stepped on the scale and found I was the same or even a little heavier I would get discouraged. Now I weigh myself once a week (without fail, no cheating in between) and it's really enouraging to see a 2 pound loss! And another plus, I set my weigh in day to Monday so I have that in my mind over the weekend, which is when I'm prone to being bad!

To each their own, but for me weighing every day was kind of obsessive and I worried too much about the numbers! :wink:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I get so much good information on how food affects my body by weighing in daily. Even if it's just water weight, if I've picked up some pounds, I want to know the next day so I can go over what I ate the day before and possibly modify or avoid.
  • angeeishere
    angeeishere Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do. It helps me stay motivated and helps me understand the effect that certain foods or situations have on my body. Yesterday, for example I did a ton of yardwork and was fairly sore this morning, and sure enough, that soreness had a couple pounds of swelling water weight to go with it. I find it a great way to receive feedback and adjust my behavior patterns as necessary.

I do the same...
  • Krakenzmama
    Options
    When I was young I used to weigh myself obsessively and after awhile I gave up because I never felt I could live up to the standard a scale would set for me - in my own messed up way of thinking I gave up not taking care of my weight. :brokenheart:

I weigh everyday to make sure I am staying on track but I decided to only count the weigh-in at the beginning of the month. I retain more or less water due to my period or if I eat an item that had 810mg of sodium in it ( I am looking at you WW Smart Ones) and I wasn't paying attention when I bought it :):grumble:

Anyhow what I am trying to say is that obsessing over a number is not always good for your mind - eating properly, drinking plenty of water, getting active will help. Pick an arbitrary day, like once every two weeks on a Friday morning or once a month on the first. That will be your number to work with until your next official weigh-in, you can weigh yourself everyday if you like but it's only to make sure you don't lose too much water or eat too many cookies or to keep yourself motivated.