Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles- The Continuation

Options
finallychelle
finallychelle Posts: 349 Member
My original post, "Let's Talk About Shirataki Noodles" (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536767-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles) hit the artificial limit of 500 comments and was closed by MFP. If you'd like to read the many great comments offered on that thread I would recommend following the link.

Because there is so much interest in shirataki noodles I'm starting a fresh thread by copying the original post.

EDIT: It looks like they "rolled" it for me-- so this post is a duplicate of something they did for me automatically. Whoops! I'll keep track of both threads, though. Here's the link to the other "automatic rollover post":

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/667003-let-s-talk-about-shirataki-noodles

There are so many questions and misconceptions about shirataki noodles that I thought I'd go ahead and do a post just about them.

I have eaten well over 350 pounds of shirataki noodles since I started my diet, over 400 days ago. This website-- and shirataki noodles-- are the reason that I've been so successful on my weight loss journey.

Why?

They allow me to be full. I do a lot better on my diet when I'm full.

I often say that "hungry people make lousy dieters."

Thanks to shirataki noodles I haven't been hungry for a single minute of my diet.

"But Chelle, I've never even heard of shirataki noodles..."

Then you've come to the right place.

Shirataki noodles are made from a Japanese yam (that isn't actually a yam, but it IS a vegetable) instead of wheat or rice. They aren't exactly like pasta noodles-- but they're awful durn close-- and they have zero (or close to zero, depending on what brand you buy) calories.

"What? Noodles with zero calories? You can't be serious???"

I'm serious.

They dry the yam and grind it into a powder/flour-- then make noodles from it. I'm sure you can think of lots of vegetables that have practically zero calories-- and the konjac plant (the Japanese yam I mentioned) is one of them.

Depending on how they process them hey come out nearly clear-- or dark brown. I have eaten both kinds and there is very little difference.

They come packaged in water and, technically, are "ready to eat," although I don't care for them straight out of the package.

When you first open the bag you will notice a slightly fishy odor. Get over it. A quick rinse with hot water and the smell will be completely gone.

You can heat them up lots of ways, but there is only one way to cook them, in my opinion-- dry fry them.

Simply spray a pan with non-stick cooking spray and cook them, on high, until they're bone dry. (about 8 minutes) By cooking them in this fashion the end result is much closer to wheat or rice noodles.

"But Chelle, I've HAD shirataki noodles and I didn't like them."

Did you dry-fry them?

I didn't think so.

Go dry fry a batch and then come back and tell me you don't like them. You'll be singing a different tune.

"Chelle, I just found some at the supermarket and they say that they're 40 calories for a half pound bag. Why would you lie to us like that?"

You bought TOFU shirataki noodles. Tofu HAS calories-- shirataki flour does not.

When you buy shirataki noodles that have been blended with tofu you'll find the appearance and texture are closer to wheat pasta-- but when you add tofu it contributes some calories.

Plus-- tofu has to be refrigerated.

So if you have to order shirataki noodles online you'll only be able to get them without the tofu since there is no way to refrigerate them on the way to you.

"Chelle, I just bought some shirataki noodles without tofu blended in and they say you should keep them refrigerated."

I've noticed that some brands say that-- and I won't recommend that you ignore manufacturer's recommendations-- but everything I've read says that shirataki noodles do not have to be refrigerated.

Perhaps refrigeration extends the shelf life-- I don't know.

What I DO know is that I only refrigerate my shirataki noodles if I have room in the 'fridge. Since I've eaten over 350 pounds of them and I'm not dead (yet) I'm going to continue doing what I've been doing.

"Where can I buy these, Chelle? I didn't see them in my grocery store."

The BEST place to buy them is in Asian grocery stores. There are 5 within a half hour of my house-- and I live in rural Georgia. Your next best bet is in a health food or grocery store, and your last resort is online (where you'd have to pay for shipping).

Half pound bags of shirataki noodles cost me $1.19 at the Asian market and $2.00 at Whole Foods.

Half pound bags of tofu shirataki noodles cost me $1.35 at the Asian market, $1.49 at Harris Teeter (grocery store), $2.49 at Publix and Kroger. (You'll find them in the refrigerated produce section with the tofu products.)

"So what do I do with them after I dry fry them?"

Practically anything. I make them too many ways to count. I find that I get on "kicks." I'll make them in various Asian styles for a few weeks, then I'll combine them with crushed tomatoes and come up with various Italian concoctions for awhile, then I'll use various Cuban mojo sauces (all zero or nearly zero calories) and then I'll go back to just Smart Balance, garlic powder, salt and pepper.

I also use them when I make Pho (I love to cook Vietnamese). I also stuff whole chickens with them. They're extremely versatile.

Once you dry fry them they microwave very nicely-- so if you want to take leftovers to work, for lunch, feel free.

I also frequently dry fry them with bean sprouts. They seem to really compliment each other and the bean sprouts get extra yummy once they just start to brown. (The bean sprouts don't reheat in the microwave quite as nicely.)

"Chelle, do you always talk to yourself in your blog and forum posts?"

I do it quite a lot, now that you mention it. Does that make me weird or something?

"No, it doesn't make you weird."

Whew! Thank goodness. But wait-- isn't that just me telling me that I'm not weird? Does that even count?

"I was hoping you wouldn't notice that."

BTW-- If you'd like to look at lots of low-calorie recipes (most of them are original to me) you can check out my MFP blog here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/finallychelle/view/my-lo-cal-recipe-collection-195763

There are newer posts in my blog that haven't made it into my list so I would recommend perusing around in there for other tips and recipes.

I'm a fearless and adventurous cook and I've done a pretty fair job of taking the calories out of my recipes without taking out the taste, too.

My cauliflower mashed potato recipe (original to me) has practically made me famous.

Well, sort of.

Here.

On MFP. (Everything's relative.)

I DO get tons of emails about it, though.

So go buy some shirataki noodles and stuff your face-- then watch the pounds just fall off while you do it.

It sounds too good to be true-- but it really IS true.

-theneverhungrydieterchelle

Replies

• mrtobias50
    mrtobias50 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just got a bunch of these and really needed this information and the recipes!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    I've read these before, but I still read them, from time to time, so that maybe...perhaps...I can make my own recipe! THANKS, CHELLE!!
  • JoeyB56
    JoeyB56 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    We really appreciate you sharing this information with us.
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    great idea...never even heard of these noodles before reading your post. i'm going to pick some up for dinner tonight & try one of the recipes fro your blog. thanks :)
  • larabell69
    larabell69 Posts: 61
    Options
    Thak You Bunches! Its great you reposted the topic :) I plan to get some this weekend! :):happy:
  • kiminor
    kiminor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I ordered some to try again your way. I remembered a bag of kelp noodles in the back of the fridge that I had bought to try but then chickened out. I took them out and did just like you do with the shirataki noodles. They aren't like rubber bands as I remembered the miracle noodles being like. The texture was more like spaghetti squash. Is that how the miracle noodles are like when you fix them your way? I can deal with that. Have you tried kelp noodles? If so are they about the same?
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I ordered some to try again your way. I remembered a bag of kelp noodles in the back of the fridge that I had bought to try but then chickened out. I took them out and did just like you do with the shirataki noodles. They aren't like rubber bands as I remembered the miracle noodles being like. The texture was more like spaghetti squash. Is that how the miracle noodles are like when you fix them your way? I can deal with that. Have you tried kelp noodles? If so are they about the same?

I've never had kelp noodles (although I've looked for them) so I can't really compare. If you were to cross the texture of cooked pasta with a raw mushroom I think that would get you close.

If you're very sensitive to texture you should mix other textures with the shirataki noodles, like bok choy, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, etc.

Also, try the tofu shirataki instead of the non-tofu shirataki. They're a little closer in texture.

-Chelle
  • kiminor
    Options
    It's more like spaghetti squash than pasta/mushroom combo. There is a bit of a crunch almost and there is no doubt a squeeky on the teeth thing going on that others have talked about. I think they are going to be pretty much the same. I'll let you know when I get my order next week. This texture while different is not bad at all. If the miracle noodle aren't like this I can stick with these.
    I mixed them with bean paste. a bit of balsamic and just a touch of sesame oil. I'll have this with dinner tonight. My SO will be happy he can have all the mashed potatoes to himself lol
  • larabell69
    larabell69 Posts: 61
    Options
    I had to share!! I made tofu shirataki angle hair noodles 1 bag is 2 servings , ate the whole thing..mmmmm so good, added crab and few veggies, soy sauce. The best find ever if you havent fix these befor you should try them, a great way to help in out eating that is satisfies!
    Thank you Finallychelle!! :)
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks i will try them :flowerforyou:
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 bags at my local Asian market, will keep following these posts of yours as well as all the websites with recipes for something that will float my boat and get me to open a bag of these. They were $1.59/1.69 in my markets refrigerated section. They also had the Tofu ones which I passed on.

I'd like to try the other "shapes" out there, read about a rice one and other "pasta shapes", guess online ordering only. I'd really love some real rice (but the carbs just don't pay for the small serving amount)
  • dorwade
    dorwade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I can only find the tofu shirataki noodles locally, but they were good with an Italian-style homemade sauce. I will try dry frying them and look for the tofu-less noodles when in Dallas. Thanks for sharing the information!
  • angmilla
    angmilla Posts: 1
    Options
    Ive accidentally stumbled upon this post and I.m so glad I did! Ie never heard of these noodles before and by havijng a quick look on the net I see they do Shirataki rice too. I'll Be going straight to my local Asian supermarket tomorrow I have to try these Im carb crazy, I'll also be trying your Cauliflower Mash!!! I really hope I like them, I'll keep you posted and thanks for the ideas and the recipes =D
  • Janrr
    Janrr Posts: 12
    Options
    Chelle, I am so excited to read about the Shirataki Noodles.. I am dying to eat something different that is low calorie. Many thanks
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I can only find the tofu shirataki noodles locally, but they were good with an Italian-style homemade sauce. I will try dry frying them and look for the tofu-less noodles when in Dallas. Thanks for sharing the information!

There is nothing wrong with the tofu shirataki noodles-- in fact, I've been eating those most of the time, lately. They've got protein and fiber-- and the advertised package weight seems to be much more accurate.

If you're getting them for a good price-- stick with them!

-Chelle
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Just tried them last week for the first time. I used them in place of rice noodles with a sweet chile pork stirfry...they were amazing!!!!
  • kcrozell
    kcrozell Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I was looking for these at the grocery last night. Can't wait to try them!
  • neutralize
    neutralize Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've had a bag of the tofu noodles in my fridge for awhile but I've been afraid of them. I just took them, washed 'em off (that smell.....:indifferent: but it did go away!) and tried the method you posted. I like them! The texture is a little...odd but I can eat them. And I can have pasta dishes again, yay!. :love:
  • kiminor
    Options
    I went to my local Asian grocery yesterday. After walking through the store squinting at labels (as if that would help me read them lol) I found the shirataki noodles. I got 2 pounds of the brown noodles for $1.99 a pound and a bag of the ones with tofu. I don't remember what those cost. I also picked up some soy bean sprouts, eggplant and bokchoy.
    I rinsed one pack of each of the noodles while stir frying the sprouts. The brown noodles look too much like worms to me so may just stick with the white ones and pay the few cents more. Once the sprouts were lightly browned I put them in a bowl and fried the noodles in a tiny bit of coconut oil. I cut up the other veggies while the noodles were working. When they were almost done I added the rest of the veggies and stir fried them with the noodles until tender crisp. I emptied the pan and fixed some black bean sauce. When that was done I mixed it all together. It turned out really well. I didn't notice the texture of the noodles at all. Even the worm look didn't bother me with the other stuff mixed in. I've got enough for several meals.

This morning I scrambled 2eggs and added about a cup and a half of my mixture. I had a huge amount of food that I wasn't able to finish for right around 300 calories most of which were the eggs.

For eating without veggies mixed in I like the tofu ones best. I think with red or cheese sauce these would be best. I'm a happy happy girl to have given these another try
  • finallychelle
    Options
    I went to my local Asian grocery yesterday. After walking through the store squinting at labels (as if that would help me read them lol) I found the shirataki noodles. I got 2 pounds of the brown noodles for $1.99 a pound and a bag of the ones with tofu. I don't remember what those cost. I also picked up some soy bean sprouts, eggplant and bokchoy.
    I rinsed one pack of each of the noodles while stir frying the sprouts. The brown noodles look too much like worms to me so may just stick with the white ones and pay the few cents more. Once the sprouts were lightly browned I put them in a bowl and fried the noodles in a tiny bit of coconut oil. I cut up the other veggies while the noodles were working. When they were almost done I added the rest of the veggies and stir fried them with the noodles until tender crisp. I emptied the pan and fixed some black bean sauce. When that was done I mixed it all together. It turned out really well. I didn't notice the texture of the noodles at all. Even the worm look didn't bother me with the other stuff mixed in. I've got enough for several meals.

This morning I scrambled 2eggs and added about a cup and a half of my mixture. I had a huge amount of food that I wasn't able to finish for right around 300 calories most of which were the eggs.

For eating without veggies mixed in I like the tofu ones best. I think with red or cheese sauce these would be best. I'm a happy happy girl to have given these another try

Grrl, you're cooking for ME!

I agree that the brown ones can be aesthetically challenging, but they taste and cook the same. I buy them when my favorite Asian market is out of the other ones.

Scrambled eggs are probably my FAVORITE ingredient to add to shirataki stir fries. A few ounces of meat is probably my second favorite addition.

It sounds like you did FANTASTIC. Great job!!!

-Chelle