Man to Man: A Support System for Men

Options
Hey Guys!

Let's get together and make sure that we create a space and a place where we can come to exclusively share trials and triumphs. At some point in our lives we all participated in some type of activity: whether it was grade school, high school or college. But life happens to the best of us and sometimes without even thinking about it we get into a position where we need cut back, trim down, tone up or simply lose some weight. Whatever your reason is for being here it is important enough for you to make the effort to commit to logging your food and your exercise. You are not alone, we all have a story to tell and sometimes we need to do just that and other times we just want show up to motivate someone or to just get a good laugh. Man to man, we need to stick together so that we can all be successful. So after you are done reading this go ahead and post something that is fun, challenging, encouraging, or inspirational. And if you have question or a concern let us know, we will do our best to provide you with the most helpful information that is available. Best wishes on your journeys.......MAY THE BEST MEN WIN!!!

Replies

• iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I can get with this. I'll post more later, but I'm running my first 5K tomorrow and I have to hit the rack.

I'll be dispointed if no one calls me a wuss for going to bed early.:bigsmile:
  • gr8dad1975
    gr8dad1975 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hey, I can't judge. I have never run a 5K. I hope you do well, come back later and let us know how you did!
  • jiminoregon
    jiminoregon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm up for this...but it's 11:30pm...Thinking is offically over for today.

Jim

P.S. iplayoutside19 is a wuss... :laugh:
  • jhb090107
    Options
    count me in

and I don't know who you are but yes Iplayoutside19 is a wuss
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • Phatdaddymike
    Options
    sounds "manly"...im in and will post again soon..im at work atm....
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Guys!

I have been eating green apples for breakfast (sometimes I even add them to oatmeal), and I also snack on them in between meals. I have noticed that they do a really good job of curbing my appetite and I don't eat nearly as much after having a green apple and a couple cups of water. I choose green apples because I like the flavor, but perhaps you could try the apple of your choice and incoporate it into you daily routine. By the way, I recently learned that apples are naturally : fat free; saturated fat free; sodium free; cholesterol free; and an excellent source of fiber. So now, how do you like them apples?!
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Guys!

I am sure that many of you have heard about a pedometer and walking the recommended 10,000 steps a day. Well, I have a pedometer and while I did not start out walking 10,000 steps (which is approximately 5 miles), I have increased my steps to the point that I have found it quite easy to accumulate 100,00 steps by the end of the day. By no means am I trying to replace the gym memberships or take away your daily crunches, but this is just another "easy" exercise that can be incorporated into your your routine. If you are not very active you will probably average somewhere in the neighborhood of 1,000 to 3,000 steps, but by increasing steps each week by 500 or per day until you can see how easily you can manage to get to 10,000 steps per day.

I know some of you maybe thinking about how you may look to everyone else around you when you wear this pedometer, but think about how they will be looking at you when the results are visible. Wearing a pedometer is an awesome way to help you keep track of how many steps you take each day. And did I mention that you can log this down in your MFP exercise log!!

By the way, most pedometers are fairly inexpensive, costing between an average of $5.00 to $7.00. Or if you prefer, can go high tech and get one with a radio and other gadgets but the more features it has, the more costly the pedometer will be. Most pedometers come equipped with the ability to track your steps, calories burned, and miles walked.

So what do you think? I figure that since you walk everyday anyway, you might as well give yourself some credit for it. When you get a chance, pick up yourself a pedometer and come back and let us know how it's going. Until then, get to steppin'.
  • agarlits
    agarlits Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Good deal, I'm in
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm in,,, why not.

Iplay's gonna pass me. I think I'd lost 50lbs or more when he joined the site, now I'm down another 10 and he's lost a Labrador Retriever. He cheats, has more to work with. Well over 6' tall.

Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise. g'night dude.

Oh ya',,, done the pedometer thing. When I teach a double BRC motorcycle class I walk 18,000 steps on saturday and 15,000 on sunday. And on monday I rest.
  • agarlits
    Options
    What, no posts today?

Thats not very manly!
  • CasperO
    Options
    This is just how the "Guy posts" go. We're just not that chatty.

Most times, a guy will make the decision to do it, and just do it. We know what to do (everybody knows what to do - get some exercise and don't eat so damn much,,, duh). We don't whine/piss/moan/rant/wail or gnash teeth. We just do it. When we have a question we'll ask, but just talk talk talking about this stuff ain't something we do.

Besides, I like girls. And I'd rather talk with them than hang out at the international house of sausage with you guys any day. :bigsmile:

And so it goes.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Guys!

We need to talk about late night cravings and binge eating. As a fellow male who is on the go during the daytime, I understand the urges and cravings that come calling late at night. I have come to realize that I am not eating a massive amount of foods, but I am eating the wrong foods (at night). This is not good especially when your body is not burning many calories late at night. I have found a great friend in green apples and oatmeal. These are just examples of foods that I am eating more of nowadays. Particularly, I am not one that likes to eat a lot at breakfast time or during lunchtime (usually because I am pretty busy). But grabbing one or two green apples in the morning really helps maintain my energy level and keeps my blood sugar intact. I also eat a bowl of oatmeal for a snack and if this is not convenient, I will choose a granola bar. I constantly drink water which keeps me full and quenches my thirst (sometimes thirstiness is satisfied with high calorie drinks without thinking about it). I keep a squeeze bottle or one that allows me to sip and work or walk or whatever I am doing (basically I have a portable water container that is always neaby). I am also learning to eat healthier snacks when I get home from work, such apples (again), carrots, cucumbers (or pickles) just to name a few. Never eat the heavy stuff as soon as you walk through the door, a big no-no. When you decide to eat your evening meal, make sure that there are vegetables that are included (again this will help fill you up and depending upon how they are prepared they will have fewer calories). Remember the 4 B's (baked, boiled, broiled, bbq'd (grilled)) when preparing your foods. Every once in a while fried foods will be become really enticing so trying to completely abstain may increase your chances of "cheating". So I usually pick a day of the week that I will have fried foods or reserve this until a special ocassion (by the way, limit the number special occasions that you have per week where you will be eating fried foods). Lastly, make sure that you keep you some herbal tea handy. Make you a cup (with Splenda) before you go to bed, this help curbs my appetite and soothes me before I go to sleep. I hope this information will help you. If you need additional support or few tips, just let me know. Good Luck!
  • agarlits
    Options

Most times, a guy will make the decision to do it, and just do it. We know what to do (everybody knows what to do - get some exercise and don't eat so damn much,,, duh). We don't whine/piss/moan/rant/wail or gnash teeth. We just do it. When we have a question we'll ask, but just talk talk talking about this stuff ain't something we do.

Besides, I like girls. And I'd rather talk with them than hang out at the international house of sausage with you guys any day. :bigsmile:

And so it goes.

Lol, I couldnt agree more.

I was just making sure you didnt all die or something
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    I cannot die until I reach my goal :laugh:
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    These sure are a lot of words.........I wonder who posted this? :huh:

And so it goes.
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Hey Chatty (Oops!) I mean CasperO
    You sure did post a lot for a man of few words :bigsmile:
  • CasperO
    Options
    I'm efficient, I posted what I had to post to say what I had to say. And now I've done it again
  • gr8dad1975
    Options
    Yeah you did again...with only 2 sentences this time. You Rock!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Today I strapped 45 pounds of weight to my waist and completed 10 full range pull ups!