PSA: Muscles do not weigh more than fat.

Options

Replies

• 57silverfox
    57silverfox Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    true a pound is a pound from water to fat
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have to use sarcasm tags. 4 obvious tells and a veiled monty python reference are not enough.

No, please don't do that. Detecting sarcasm is a skill learned through practice. If you give it to them, they'll never get it.

You know, that old teach a man to fish thing...

BAZINGA!
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I think the important question is:

If an MFP -Master- Debator dies in the middle of the Forrest...

Would any one care ?
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Got me there, although it is gone 2300 here and I have no idea why I am reading this thread rather than sleeping...

:laugh:

I'm going to have to use sarcasm tags. 4 obvious tells and a veiled monty python reference are not enough.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    First, I'll apologize for being in a bad mood. I'm sick. Please forgive me.

Some of these forum topics are petty...who cares? I think we all know what people mean when they say 'muscles weigh more than fat'. I think you're being as rude as the spelling police! Everyone KNOWS a pound is a pound. You aren't making youself sound smarter by pointing that out.

Try to be constructive and really help people, not put them down.

That is all.
  • MagnoliaBliss
    MagnoliaBliss Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Some of these forum topics are petty...who cares? I think we all know what people mean when they say 'muscles weigh more than fat'. I think you're being as rude as the spelling police! Everyone KNOWS a pound is a pound. You aren't making youself sound smarter by pointing that out.

Try to be constructive and really help people, not put them down.

That is all.

Maybe a dose of your own advice will make you less bitter.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • ShawnMueller
    Options
    I think you know what people mean when they say it.

I don't see what's wrong about saying "muscle weighs more than fat" ... if you take a blob of fat and then take a blob of muscle of the same size, the muscle will weigh more. I wish people would stop nit picking everything that is said on here.

Sounds good and I agree. But my endocronologist told me i was obese due to height/weight ratio. at 5'3 and 172 i am classified as obese. When I told her that i was in a size 9/10 and did insanity 6 days a week and muscle weighs more that fat she laughed and told me to lose 30 pounds.

I lost the doctor!!!

Good choice!

Oh I forgot this part. that was after she told me to go on the scarsdale diet to lose the weight.... Ahhh No!!!

Yeah, the Scarsdale Diet is pretty good. I've lost weight on it for sure, but I'm still not at my goal. There are a bunch of them on the internet that all differ, but I used http://www.scarsdale-diet-plan.com I dropped about 20 pounds on this, but it was kind of hard, but it still worked.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Weight has nothing to do with it: it's all about leverage.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    None of this even matters...

...until you stop lifting and your muscle turns to fat.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    None of this even matters...

...until you stop lifting and your muscle turns to fat.

that's why lifting anything over 15lbs makes women so bulky.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I've seen at least 4 threads started on the same exact topic in the past 2 months, with only one of them being an intentional troll. It's very annoying! Forum guidelines DO suggest searching the forums for an answer (or topic) before posting a similar--or in this case, identical--topic.
    Yeah, let's move on instead to less-oft discussed topics such as "How often do you weigh yourself?", "Should I eat my exercise calories back?", or "Is starvation mode real?".

Three things made this thread worthwhile - Monty Python, bacon and chocolate.
  • AnnFord87
    AnnFord87 Posts: 7
    Options
    Sorry off the subject was kinda skimmin thru here reading everything happened to notice your weight loss is off your chart....WAY TO GO!!!
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    well i can say that a pound lost weighs less then a pound still here...
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I feel like this exact thread happens every 6 days.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    that's why lifting anything over 15lbs makes women so bulky.
    ...and then they don't lose weight because "their fat turns into muscle".

Whoops, that's another rant for another thread.....
  • new_blossom
    new_blossom Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Correct, 1 pound is 1 pound- if you have 2 rump roasts and one has a lot of fat on it and the other is very lean, but both weigh 5 pounds, which one weighs more? Neither, they both weigh the same, just one is leaner than the other. Fat takes up more space, because it is loose and muscle is compact and lean and takes up less space. That is why sometimes the scale may not show weight loss, but if you measure yourself, it will show inches lost. You most likely have gained muscle mass.
  • PhatAv8r
    PhatAv8r Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    that is correct, a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound poo, no difference at all.. now the cubic space required to hold one pound of each, is probably significantly different
  • thisisjl
    thisisjl Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have nothing of importance to add other than thank you for helping me waste some time at work tonight in a very enjoyable fashion. Nothing is more comical than adults trying to argue over whether or not the statement muscle weighs more than fat is refering to actual poundage or if the statement is refering to volume. I thought everyone understood it was volume I don't know ANYone who thinks 1 pound weighs more than 1 pound.

It's all about the size ;-)
  • Alex729
    Alex729 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    BUMP

(just because I'm hoping that this thread makes it to page 10)