Why 3 meals a day doesn't work...

Options
1234568»

Replies

• capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    You all can continue to take shots at me, that's fine. I will be more careful in the unlikely event I ever post again.

Rejoice.gif
  • purplegoboom
    purplegoboom Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I have another question- and it may be a stupid one but i'm asking anyway.
    I've heard there are bad calories and good calories. True/ False? If true- what kind of calories should I steer clear of or does it not matter what kind I eat as long as i'm at or under my calorie goal for the day?

Haha it depends on who you ask.

I don't know if there are "bad" foods or not, I just eat whatever I want in moderation. :smile: I only avoid gluten, dairy, and soy because I have intolerances the gluten and lactose and I have PCOS and too much soy will mess with it.

I say, as long as you don't have an allergy to that particular food, or have a specific dietary need like diabetes that requires you to stay away from said food, feel free to have it. If it fits your macro and calorie goal for the day, why not?
  • JackShow70
    JackShow70 Posts: 49
    Options
    Yea, I do IF a few times a week. Maybe I am already dead and don't realize it. Maybe I am a zombie!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wow,
    I have to say I didn't expect this. Just so we're clear I am not the one who wrote this, I got it from here

http://www.highimpacttraining.org/HighImpactTraining.org/Eating_often.html

and I've seen it in numerous other places, magazines, books, etc. from people who know way more about this stuff than I do. If anyone cared to show me why I was wrong I would have appreciated that, but instead you all just hurled insults at me. I was just trying to post something that was helpful to me, and I thought might be helpful to others. But thank you, thanks you for all of this.

Oh good. Now I can report the post for copyright violation.
  • marylynn04
    marylynn04 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I only eat one meal a day, but it starts about an hour after I wake up and ends about an houre before bed... unless there is some extra bacon left, then it ends after I am already in bed... nom nom nom... bacon crumbs..

HAHA i LOVE bacon! :laugh:

This! :)

1342026886140_8926904.png
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Despite disagreeing with your points, my main problem is you wrote an essay...not a post. If the info was found elsewhere, I think a link would have been a better option.

And you didn't make suggestions...you said don't do THIS or you should stop THAT. Makes it sound like you know what will help everyone. But you don't. Try using your blog to reach the people you think will better benefit from your observations. Good luck.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I only eat one meal a day, but it starts about an hour after I wake up and ends about an houre before bed... unless there is some extra bacon left, then it ends after I am already in bed... nom nom nom... bacon crumbs..

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • CDMAGS
    CDMAGS Posts: 150 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS!!!!
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    I've always heard you're not supposed to go more than 6 waking hours without eating something...True or False?

This is a serious question.... i'm new to this dieting thing and trying to figure out the best way for me. I've been led to believe I should eat 4 to 5 small meals per day 3 to 4 hours apart?

This idea will always be around. You will have no advantage with 6 meals as you would with 3. Being at a caloric deficit at the end of the day is all that matters.

When bulking up and trying to keep your calorie intake a specific calorie range it may make it tough for some people to eat huge meals. Splitting meals is a perfect way to remedy that. Instead of eating 3 1100-1500 meals then why not eat 6 600-700 meals?

Because who really has time to eat 6 meals a day? Not everyone has that ideal where they can sit down every two to three hours and bust out a 600-700 calorie meal.

Plus eating bigger meals are pretty easy to do if you eat calorie dense foods. You can pack a lot of calories in with very little amounts of food that way.

Guess you are missing the point. Most women are looking to lose weight so they wouldn't understand how it feels to eat massive amounts of healthy calories. This is mostly for men when they are bulking up slowly and healthy. Just illustrated how helpful it is to meet a 4500 calorie goal by splitting those meals into 6 meals rather than eating 3 huge 1500 meals. Whole food pasta is great, and sweet potatoes are great as well but most starchy carbs give you feeling of being full too quick and some people may not like that.

That's exactly it. I actually always found it easier to lose weight than gain weight. I find it almost impossible to divide my calorie intake into only 3 meals. I'd bloat like crazy to the point where it gets really painful. I feel like I went to the Chinese buffet and ate 5 plates three times a day. So I actually eat 5-7 meals a day, with them being 2-4 hours apart. So there isn't really anything wrong with IF or eating more meals a day. So long as you get your macros, whatever works is fine.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS!!!!

Hahaha. I actually said this to my husband at lunch today. No kidding.
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    bumping this to find later
  • BigWin20
    BigWin20 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry it took awhile to respond, I was going through all the peer-reviewed studies that you cited.

BUAHAHAHA!
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    When bulking up and trying to keep your calorie intake a specific calorie range it may make it tough for some people to eat huge meals. Splitting meals is a perfect way to remedy that. Instead of eating 3 1100-1500 meals then why not eat 6 600-700 meals?

Wow. That actually really makes me want to become a bodybuilder.

1500 in a meal isn't that hard, though. Just upsize your combo and have a few beers. If you're trying to eat healthy, then it gets a little harder.
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    You guys were pretty harsh on the guy. Not really the best way to embrace people in this community.

^^^this and rude too
  • stargazer008
    stargazer008 Posts: 531
    Options
    The metabolism is so much more, it carries out chemical processes to ensure survival. Do you really think the metabolism will shut down just because it isn't fed every two/three hours. The body is smart and has other sources to use as energy. Your metabolism only shuts down if you are DEAD. Now are you going to die if you don't eat every two/three hours. As long as you are getting an appropriate amount of calories, you'll be safe. Plus why tax the body with more food, give the poor guy a break!
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this!

I used to skip meals all the time, because I felt like if I ate as little as possible, I would lose weight.
    I actually ended up in the other direction!
    I kept gaining weight! I also put myself into hypoglycemic conditions, because of it! I later found out I was anemic...which made everything even worse!

People think that because you are overweight, or have a belly, that you are lazy and eat all the time..or eat garbage!
    I beg to differ!
    I was always active (walked and rode my bike..worked 2 very stressful jobs)
    I very rarely ate anything but dinner
    I also ate very healthy foods! (Lean meats, fresh fruits & veggies, whole grains)

My metabolism was just screwed up....and my body thought it was starving to death, which made it store every bit of food as fat.

After several years of this idiotic thinking (only eat once a day)..I went to a trainer who is also a certified nutritionist. She basically FORCED me to eat 6 times a day!
    She had me eating my healthy foods throughout the day, instead of at one meal.
    She also got me on a protein shake (I was very deficient) 3 times a day.

She saved my life!

I am now eating better..still exercising (incorporating weight lifting in as well)...and still having my 3 protein shakes per day!

I am living proof that 3 meals a day doesn't work (or in my case: one meal)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Ya know, it's really not photoshopped. I know there is no chance I could get any of you to believe that but w/e. Your choice. I'll admit, I screwed up on this one. I really was just trying to help, but I shouldn't have posted that under the guise I had written it myself, that was never my intention, and frankly never even crossed my mind. So for that I am truly sorry. You all can continue to take shots at me, that's fine. I will be more careful in the unlikely event I ever post again.

LIttle buddy, you've taken the shots and handled it like a man. Really, don't believe everything that you read. If unsure, see what kind of studies you can find that either refute or confirm what you are reading. You have made kind of a rookie mistake but I truly believe you meant to be helpful. Thing is, there is a lot of myth and misinformation that gets posted here and elsewhere and some people take it seriously and try to follow it and then get discouraged when they don't get results.

There are only a few things that anyone needs to do to get to a healthier weight. Eat less than you burn is the key one. Get enough of each macronutrient and get exercise. That's pretty much it. The rest is all personal preference. Lesson learned.