Paleo Diet!

Options

Replies

• kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Lunch I enjoy onion burgers (wrapped in lettuce) with avocado, tomato, pickle and mustard.

LOL, I thought I was the only person in the world who eats burgers on lettuce 'bread'. :smile: I'm not paleo or primal or anything really, I've just never seen the point of wrapping a delicious (cheese)burger in so much bread that you can't taste the meat.

No one ever really took note of or said anything about it until late 90's or early 00's when people at BBQs would constantly ask if I was on the Atkins diet. Now occasionally someone will ask if I'm doing paleo, which is slightly less annoying, but still makes me feel like the only person in the world who just doesn't like rolls.

I have a friend on paleo, she's a doctor and is always trying to convert me, but I seriously don't want to give up my yogurt and sweet Jersey corn. The way I figure, my ancestors have been eating these things for tens of thousands of years, so it can't be that bad. I do limit packaged foods though.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Peanuts are a legume and are full of anti nutrients...

First part true (they are a legume), second part utter nonsense. Peanuts contain good fats, protein, iron, potassium, and many other nutrients our bodies need.

Peanuts contain lectins- these are toxic proteins. They do act as a natural pesticides and in that they are found to be toxic... I never said they don't contain fat, protein, and other minerals, but this is WHY they are not eaten in the Paleo diet.

But they are not "full" of lectins. Many foods have toxins in them but are still good for us. Lectins are found in many healthy foods other than legumes such as quinoa, eggplant, mushrooms, radish, nightshade vegetables, and others.

Capsaicin is toxic too. That doesn't mean eating hot peppers is unhealthy.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Even if nothing else, I refuse to believe that such a highly allergenic food should be consumed... much less classified "good for you".
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Even if nothing else, I refuse to believe that such a highly allergenic food should be consumed... much less classified "good for you".

Your not believing it doesn't change all science showing legumes as healthy. Bananas are a common migraine trigger, but they are not an unhealthy food. Spinach contains oxalate, which inhibits absorption of calcium, but it's not an unhealthy food.

Generally speaking, of course. Any food can be unhealthy on an individual level.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    I'm primal, flirting with paleo but I love cheese and butter. My diary is open for all to see. As you can see I've been pretty successful as my ticker indicates below.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

To suggest that people are addicted to bread is absurd.

Absurd? Really?

Perhaps you and I are working with different definitions of the word "addiction". I would argue that people whose primary objection to a particular diet is that they are unable to stop eating a particular food are addicted to that food. We can argue to what extent the source of that addiction is physical or psychological (to which I contend it is likely both), but I do not understand your position that it is not an addiction.

(EDIT: to delete an adverb that didn't read quite right.)

We must be. I know what real addiction is like vs. obsession or emotional/psychological problems.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Peanuts are a legume and are full of anti nutrients...

First part true (they are a legume), second part utter nonsense. Peanuts contain good fats, protein, iron, potassium, and many other nutrients our bodies need.

Peanuts are awesome! I :heart: them!
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

I know what real addiction is like vs. obsession or emotional/psychological problems.

To claim you know what real addiction is and that others don't, sounds a bit absurd to me...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

It's only harmful if you are the allergic one.

George Washington Carver...:love:...my hero!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I know what real addiction is like vs. obsession or emotional/psychological problems.

To claim you know what real addiction is and that others don't, sounds a bit absurd to me...

I am currently addicted to nicotine. I have been psychologically dependant on any number of activities. When I get a new Final Fantasy game, I often obsess over it to the point of being unhealthy. I have been psychologically addicted to a number of things over the years. A psychological problem is overcome very differently than a true physical addiction.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories following Paleo/Primal? It was hard for me because on the one hand I wanted to track everything but then got worried about going over my calorie limit. I also didn't have a sense of portion control and felt like I was eating too much protein.
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

I don't think that it's absurd. I completely believe that someone can be addicted to food. Whether it's bread, chocolate, cookies.....addiction is not limited to a drug, ie. nicotine, caffeine or any other "drug".
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't think that it's absurd. I completely believe that someone can be addicted to food. Whether it's bread, chocolate, cookies.....addiction is not limited to a drug, ie. nicotine, caffeine or any other "drug".

The difference is that food is a requirement for living. You can't be addicted to food. You might have psychological dependencies, you might use food as an emotional crutch or stress reliever, or any number of bad habits, but it's not the same as a physiological addiction.
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    Options

The difference is that food is a requirement for living. You can't be addicted to food. You might have psychological dependencies, you might use food as an emotional crutch or stress reliever, or any number of bad habits, but it's not the same as a physiological addiction.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....I have a bad day at work, I'm stressed out....all I can think about is having that piece of chocolate when I get home because it'll make me feel better.
    You have a bad day at work, stressed out....all you can think about is when your next break is so you can have that cigarette because it'll make you feel better.
    An addiction is an addiction, regardless of whether it's physical or psychological. It's a dependancy. A way to deal.
  • TallyGal97
    TallyGal97 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is petty much how I have been eating over the past month. The most important benefit for me has been in the reduction of painful headaches. Makes it worth it to me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Correct me if I'm wrong.....I have a bad day at work, I'm stressed out....all I can think about is having that piece of chocolate when I get home because it'll make me feel better.
    You have a bad day at work, stressed out....all you can think about is when your next break is so you can have that cigarette because it'll make you feel better.
    An addiction is an addiction, regardless of whether it's physical or psychological. It's a dependancy. A way to deal.

AHA! You stumbled on the key word: dependency. You can become dependent on anything. It is not the same as a physical addiction, but it is still unhealthy. I am simply providing the difference. We can find different ways to deal with stress, but overcoming physical addiction causes very real physical symptoms not present when breaking psychological dependencies. Therein lies the difference. The difference is of note to me personally because I have suffered both. That's why I originally stated that I know the difference.

I can go months at a time without thinking about something, and I'm fine. I can't go more than a couple of hours without a cigarette before my body physically reminds me that it is low on nicotine. My body actually believes that nicotine is a required susbtance, even though we all know that it is not.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Odd. I didn't notice this "requirement for living" exception in the definition when I looked it up yesterday. I'll have to go back and re-read it again. And if it isn't in there, I'll let the word authorities know they should add it (when they more narrowly revise their current definition, of course).

When I'm wrong on the internet, I admit it...but in this case, I'm not wrong. I believe where *you* are wrong is not specifying that *your* definition of the word does not include food. Every definition I've found for the word would lead me to believe otherwise. Nothing personal, but I'm going to go with their definitions over yours. In no way am I saying you have to change your definition, but for you to say that everyone else should change theirs is...

...well, absurd.
  • mantisladyx
    mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    bump to read later
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

^^^^^THIS!!
  • bcattoes
    Options

AHA! You stumbled on the key word: dependency. You can become dependent on anything. It is not the same as a physical addiction, but it is still unhealthy. I am simply providing the difference. We can find different ways to deal with stress, but overcoming physical addiction causes very real physical symptoms not present when breaking psychological dependencies. Therein lies the difference. The difference is of note to me personally because I have suffered both. That's why I originally stated that I know the difference.

I can go months at a time without thinking about something, and I'm fine. I can't go more than a couple of hours without a cigarette before my body physically reminds me that it is low on nicotine. My body actually believes that nicotine is a required susbtance, even though we all know that it is not.

Addictions don't have to be physical. One can have a psychological addiction. Addiction causes trauma when denied the substance to which one is addicted. While I'm sure it is possible to have a true psychological addiction to a food, it's not that common. Craving chocolate when stressed does not necessarily mean an addiction. You don't hear of many people robbing the local 7-Eleven to buy chocolate.