Paleo Diet!

Options

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I follow Primal, because I still eat cheese-for my milk I drink almond milk.

Primal here too.

Get Grok-hard.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    the pale diet is not the way our caveman ancestors ate.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

AHA! You stumbled on the key word: dependency. You can become dependent on anything. It is not the same as a physical addiction, but it is still unhealthy. I am simply providing the difference. We can find different ways to deal with stress, but overcoming physical addiction causes very real physical symptoms not present when breaking psychological dependencies. Therein lies the difference. The difference is of note to me personally because I have suffered both. That's why I originally stated that I know the difference.

I can go months at a time without thinking about something, and I'm fine. I can't go more than a couple of hours without a cigarette before my body physically reminds me that it is low on nicotine. My body actually believes that nicotine is a required susbtance, even though we all know that it is not.

But in the real world, what difference can it possibly make to someone? I just don't get the point ... You win?

To me, it's a world of difference. Kicking a psychological dependency is as easy as a slap in the face, "Stop it!" But with a physical dependency, there is pain and suffering involved. Watch someone detox off heroin and you will see what I mean.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    the pale diet is not the way our caveman ancestors ate.

Tru dat with whipped cream on top! :laugh:
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

To suggest that people are addicted to bread is absurd.

I don't think that it's absurd. I completely believe that someone can be addicted to food. Whether it's bread, chocolate, cookies.....addiction is not limited to a drug, ie. nicotine, caffeine or any other "drug".

The difference is that food is a requirement for living. You can't be addicted to food. You might have psychological dependencies, you might use food as an emotional crutch or stress reliever, or any number of bad habits, but it's not the same as a physiological addiction.

Correct me if I'm wrong.....I have a bad day at work, I'm stressed out....all I can think about is having that piece of chocolate when I get home because it'll make me feel better.
    You have a bad day at work, stressed out....all you can think about is when your next break is so you can have that cigarette because it'll make you feel better.
    An addiction is an addiction, regardless of whether it's physical or psychological. It's a dependancy. A way to deal.

AHA! You stumbled on the key word: dependency. You can become dependent on anything. It is not the same as a physical addiction, but it is still unhealthy. I am simply providing the difference. We can find different ways to deal with stress, but overcoming physical addiction causes very real physical symptoms not present when breaking psychological dependencies. Therein lies the difference. The difference is of note to me personally because I have suffered both. That's why I originally stated that I know the difference.

I can go months at a time without thinking about something, and I'm fine. I can't go more than a couple of hours without a cigarette before my body physically reminds me that it is low on nicotine. My body actually believes that nicotine is a required susbtance, even though we all know that it is not.

Addictions don't have to be physical. One can have a psychological addiction. Addiction causes trauma when denied the substance to which one is addicted. While I'm sure it is possible to have a true psychological addiction to a food, it's not that common. Craving chocolate when stressed does not necessarily mean an addiction. You don't hear of many people robbing the local 7-Eleven to buy chocolate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/food-addiction-could-it-e_b_764863.html

Article on how food is biologically addicting. Take it or leave it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Odd. I didn't notice this "requirement for living" exception in the definition when I looked it up yesterday. I'll have to go back and re-read it again. And if it isn't in there, I'll let the word authorities know they should add it (when they more narrowly revise their current definition, of course).

When I'm wrong on the internet, I admit it...but in this case, I'm not wrong. I believe where *you* are wrong is not specifying that *your* definition of the word does not include food. Every definition I've found for the word would lead me to believe otherwise. Nothing personal, but I'm going to go with their definitions over yours. In no way am I saying you have to change your definition, but for you to say that everyone else should change theirs is...

...well, absurd.

My point is not to state the dictionary definition. It was simply that physical dependency is very different than psychological dependency. And my original point was that it is absurd for you to believe that someone who doesn't choose your lifestyle has a psychological problem. That is arrogant at best.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/food-addiction-could-it-e_b_764863.html

Article on how food is biologically addicting. Take it or leave it.

That's fine. I don't see it the same way, but I realize that others do. My whole point in the beginning though is that people have the right to choose their own lifestyle, and that choosing one diet or another is not, in and of itself, an addiction issue.

That was the only reason I commented in the first place. Psychiatrists and psychologists don't even agree about addiction.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if you non Paleo/Primal peeps would take your personal little cat fight to private messages and leave this thread for giving helpful information to those interested in Paleo/Primal
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Do you count calories following Paleo/Primal? It was hard for me because on the one hand I wanted to track everything but then got worried about going over my calorie limit. I also didn't have a sense of portion control and felt like I was eating too much protein.
    I count calories, and have had to learn portion control with Primal. I am over every day on my protein, and if anything it has made losing weight easier.

You can change your macros under 'Goals'.

I put mine at 50/35/15 for F/P/C. You should definitely be eating more protein than MFP suggests. I'm guessing that's a real 'bottom-line' number. Many say you should eat 1g per lb of lean body weight (and even 1g per lb of body weight).

I log because it helps me keep my macros in check and keeps my conscious of what I'm putting in my mouth. Generally though, I'm not hungry enough to overeat when eating primal unless I eat too many nuts.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I follow the primal diet. I started about 6 weeks ago. I couldn't give up cream in my coffee since I gave up sugar in my coffee so I just switched to heavy cream. I also use cheese in my recipes cause my boys love cheese. I still keep other non-primal food in the house for children and husband. We all eat the same supper, but sometimes I will add pasta or grains to their plates if they want it and not mine, I also still buy bread for their lunches. This is still a new lifestyle in my house and I felt that if I restricted them too hard and too fast it would not be good, so I am letting them move into it in their own way. In truth I feel a lot better now. I made the switch because of my crohn's disease. The grains and beans made my life miserable, and I needed a lot of B12 supplements to function. A doctor had suggested I try the primal/paleo diet to see if it would help me start to feel normal again. In truth it has worked. Not as many 'flare-ups' and I get to enjoy life a lot more. The weight loss right now is an added bonus :) But what worked for me may not work for others, so I suggest do your research and if your body doesn't like what you are eating or doing listen to it. What I do works for me and not just for weight loss, but for a healthier tummy and life. But in no way would I say it is the only right choice, it was just the right one for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It would be nice if you non Paleo/Primal peeps would take your personal little cat fight to private messages and leave this thread for giving helpful information to those interested in Paleo/Primal

It would be nice if people had respect for each other instead of claiming they have psychological problems because they choose a different lifestyle. :ohwell:
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options

I think it started when a paleo advocate suggested that others are addicted to grains.....

And you really don't have to read posts you don't like, even block people if you wish.
  • vbruce3
    vbruce3 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the weight loss guy!!! Thats awesome!!!! If only...... if only.........
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bonk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

It would be nice if people had respect for each other instead of claiming they have psychological problems because they choose a different lifestyle. :ohwell:

I would suggest that you go back to the origin and re-read it with the understanding that your interpretation of what I originally said is incorrect. To call your summary of it a misrepresentation would be an understatement.

If anyone is confused about what I originally said (after re-reading it) and would like to discuss it further, please message me.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here tried eating the way our caveman ancestors did? How did it go for you? Did you lose weight? Did you drink milk?

Here's an article for it:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/10/04/the-beginners-guide-to-the-paleo-diet/

Let me know what you guys think!:flowerforyou:

I eat this way as my lifestyle. We use raw milk from a local dairy farmer or the Amish. We don't consume much dairy anymore due to allergy issues.

Dairy is allowed as long as your body is tolerant to it and accepts it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Enjoying the taste of something is not the same as an addiction. I've been addicted before. I am currently addicted to nicotine.

Sorry, but its not.

Hearing people say they can't give up bread, pasta, crackers and such is an addiction just like that nicotine.

Besides, bread, pasta and crackers have no taste, what taste is there to enjoy? These things are merely "carriers" for the stuff that does actually taste good.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Peanuts are a legume and are full of anti nutrients...

First part true (they are a legume), second part utter nonsense. Peanuts contain good fats, protein, iron, potassium, and many other nutrients our bodies need.

Peanuts contain lectins- these are toxic proteins. They do act as a natural pesticides and in that they are found to be toxic... I never said they don't contain fat, protein, and other minerals, but this is WHY they are not eaten in the Paleo diet.

But they are not "full" of lectins. Many foods have toxins in them but are still good for us. Lectins are found in many healthy foods other than legumes such as quinoa, eggplant, mushrooms, radish, nightshade vegetables, and others.

Capsaicin is toxic too. That doesn't mean eating hot peppers is unhealthy.

The foods you listed are taken out of ones eating when there are inflammation issues such as chronic fatigue, rheumatoid arthritis, etc. Especially the nightshades, eggplant and mushrooms.

Most of us that eat the Paleo lifestyle don't partake in seeds such as quinoa either due to the inflammatory effects.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

I don't think that it's absurd. I completely believe that someone can be addicted to food. Whether it's bread, chocolate, cookies.....addiction is not limited to a drug, ie. nicotine, caffeine or any other "drug".

The difference is that food is a requirement for living. You can't be addicted to food. You might have psychological dependencies, you might use food as an emotional crutch or stress reliever, or any number of bad habits, but it's not the same as a physiological addiction.

Food addiction is VERY real.

The fact that someone says I can't live without ____________ is showing the signs of addiction.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I prefer a Bronze Age diet.