Ahhhhh! Just read a post that said.....

Options
Don't eat bananas !!! Too much sugar! I eat them everyday, frozen, very ripe, in my post workout shake. Am I wrong for doing this ???????

Replies

• jealous_loser
    Options
    Some days I eat 2 bananas.

The only time I figure it would be bad is if you are trying to limit carbs. If you are losing, don't sweat it. I eat them for the potassium ;)
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    fruit has sugar, that's a fact, lol.. I love bananas, and I wouldn't give them up!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bananas have a ton of sugar and most bananas are 2 servings unless really small. Definitely not for low carbers or for diabetics, PCOS, Insulin resistance.

BTW - You can get more potassium, more fiber and a ton less sugars with an avocado. Bananas are not even in the top 10 for potassium rich foods. Just an FYI.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eat them. They are not bad for you. People freak out too much about sugar. If you feel fine, are meeting your other macros, and are losing weight then don't listen to them. I eat one every day before my workout and don't have any issues.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have a banana most mornings for breakfast. Seems to be working ok for me..... Maybe don't eat six or eight of them, but go ahead and enjoy them!
  • MonkeyFlower
    MonkeyFlower Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i have one almost every day for breakfast with cinnamon - yum i love them!! but saying that i do weigh them and then enter as i found just entering 1 banana didnt give me accurate cals.
  • sarabluebell
    sarabluebell Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas once in a while
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it - just know that they have calories (like every other food). :p Bananas do have more calories than most other fruit but just make sure you're accounting for it in your food diary :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    do you think you're going to get fat from eating a banana? seriously?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Bananas have a ton of sugar and most bananas are 2 servings unless really small. Definitely not for low carbers or for diabetics, PCOS, Insulin resistance.

BTW - You can get more potassium, more fiber and a ton less sugars with an avocado. Bananas are not even in the top 10 for potassium rich foods. Just an FYI.
    2vs3yic.gif

LOL

bananalolz.gif

FEAR MONGER!!!!!

Andrews-Gif.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    If you go by most of the stuff you read on MFP you will be simultaneously fat, hungry, and weak. Bananas are awesome.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lol, I don't understand why there is a banana police brigade on here. Bananas are fine. They're delicious and cheap and available everywhere. Ignore the banana police.

ETA: Especially, try a banana with peanut butter. You will be happy you did! :bigsmile:
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No one ever got fat from eating fruit.

Bananas have a higher GI, true, but there is no such thing as a bad fruit. If you like bananas, eat them. I eat them frequently.
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    if its snack time and the option is either a banana or a slice of pizza, stick with the banana.

im sure you could find something unhealthy or wrong about every food. healthy eating is all about variety and portion control.
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    If you go by most of the stuff you read on MFP you will be simultaneously fat, hungry, and weak. Bananas are awesome.

Hah. This.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Things that don't make you fat.

1. Sugar
    2. Carbs
    3. fats
    4. eating at or after a specific time.
    5. eating fructose
    6. eating lactose.
    7. eating high GI

The thing that makes you fat.
    1. Eating above your maintenance calories

^ This.

Sticky please.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they weren't being sarcastic?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Are you sure they weren't being sarcastic?

For what it's worth I have seen legitimate fear mongering over a banana and some corn.

Dead srs.

EDIT: In fact one of the banana bashers sent me a PM once to insult me. Totally unsolicited. I found out he was a Gary Taubes follower though and that's when I realized he obviously had mental issues so I didn't take offense.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Bananas come highly recommended by Doctor Who. What more do you need to convince you?