Why do vegans eat food products that represent animals?

Options

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    As there aren't sustainable vegan societies with their own food cultures what you're observing is dropouts from a carnivore culture without the imagination to come up with their own foods, so they emulate the foods they crave. LOL.

I object to vegans and vegetarians attending barbecues. Go graze somewhere else.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I think a better question is: If Vegans & Veggies care so much about animals, why are they eating their food? ;D
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I think anyone is entitled to ask any question they like on here.

If you think it's ridiculous then you can just ignore it.

But, I would say that burgers are not the form of an animal, it's just a shape.

This too... a burger is just a round patty of meat. Why can't a vegan eat a round patty of tofu/beans in a bun too?
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I object to vegans and vegetarians attending barbecues. Go graze somewhere else.

That's really rude. It's idiots like you that make me ashamed of my own species.
  • Blondefitbarbie
    Options
    Lots of vegans become so because they don't want to eat animals/animal products due to the environmental effects of meat consumption and the cruelty the animal faces before they are slaughtered. Many do not choose to stop eating meat and animal products because they just don't enjoy the taste or texture of it. Thus, the want to supplement it in their diet.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    My reasoning for not eating most meat (pescetarian) is not because I object to how meat looks. Seems like a ridiculous question.

It's like asking why people who don't eat worms will eat gummy worms because they look like worms. Don't eat teddy bears? Then why would you eat gummy bears?

This exactly. What a ridiculous question :laugh: :noway:
  • LillithBlack
    Options
    Cause some vegans want to.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm actually shocked at how many people wonder this. Forgot people choose not to eat meat because of the way it looks. Crazy.

It's like when people realise I'm vegetarian and ask "so what do you eat then?" :huh: Reaaalllyyyy?! Kinda embarrassed for these people tbh. :embarassed:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a cannibal, but I shape all of my meat products into what looks like a human baby. It just tastes better that way.
    Okay, you win the thread. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

You wouldn't say that if you saw my dinner tonight. I had some extra meat left over, so this time I shaped it into a baby eating another baby eating a boston terrier. Delicious.

That's some creative baby makin' right there. But, which end do you start eating first?
    Please say toes first. I always eat chocolate bunnies that way.
  • kirstiesharpe2209
    Options
    I buy it and eat it, I'd buy a quorn sausage if it was shaped like a sausage or a banana or a spaceship. I'm not secretly trying to trick myself into believing I'm eating meat or whatever, its just how theyre produced.
  • Dani_wants_to_be_fit
    Dani_wants_to_be_fit Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    why do carnivores eat cabbage?

^^ Love it =)

I'm definitely NOT vegan. But I do use vegetarian products such as Quorn to replace meat often. I tend to feel a little guilty about eating meat lately (A certain documentary I saw on meat kind of put me off for a long time) and I am use to eating it. Just because I don't want to eat an actual animal doesn't mean I don't enjoy the taste (most products taste very similar). So it's pretty much just a replacement for meat without the guilt. I have nothing against the shape and what it resembles, I just enjoy the taste. I mean why not? As already mentioned why do meat eaters like fruit?

Then again my comments probably invalid since I'm not vegan and do enjoy meat sometimes.
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    Because it's not ACTUALLY meat. so there's no problem. I don't think ye have Quorn in the US? We have it here in Ireland and in the UK and a few times I've used it in meals for non vegetarian friends and they didn't know the difference! Also, my Dad wa told by his doctor to cut down on red meat, so my Mom often gives him Quorn products and he doesn't notice! And even if she tels him he doesn't mind. So there's another reason.
  • t1sh
    t1sh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't remember the last time I saw sausage and burger 'shapes' running round a field . I sometimes wonder why a lot of meat eaters hate the idea of a hog roast rotating on a spit , and prefer their dead flesh pre cut and vacuum packed on a supermarket shelf . ....Just saying.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Oh sorry I thought we were just asking pointless questions that nobody cares about?

LOL
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I think a better question is: If Vegans & Veggies care so much about animals, why are they eating their food? ;D

You assume that all of us became so because we care about the animals. Your assumption would be wrong.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Because it's not ACTUALLY meat. so there's no problem. I don't think ye have Quorn in the US? We have it here in Ireland and in the UK and a few times I've used it in meals for non vegetarian friends and they didn't know the difference! Also, my Dad wa told by his doctor to cut down on red meat, so my Mom often gives him Quorn products and he doesn't notice! And even if she tels him he doesn't mind. So there's another reason.

We have it! It's the best chicken substitute out there.
  • ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    You could argue that carnivores eat burgers and sausages because they DON'T resemble meat. I can't think of many animals that come in neat little cylinder and disc shapes. I can't speak for all veggies but I eat them because they don't have veins, lips and eyelids in them :)
  • therealjanelle
    Options
    From a broader marketing perspective, vegetarian and vegan meat replacement products are not only for vegetarians and vegans. They are also being marketed to people who eat meat, too, as a healthy alternative and a compassionate choice. By mimicking the meat products that one would find in a meal a consumer finds it easier to use the meat-free product in the place of meat.

For example, Quorn mince looks pretty similar to minced beef. So, consumer A wants to make tacos. Consumer A has the vegetarian choices of tofu, quorn mince or a block of tempeh. Which one looks simplest to turn into tacos?
  • veggiebound
    veggiebound Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    First off nothing against vegans or the food as I have best friends that are and I cater to them when they come to visit. So yea I have always thought it funny that hard core Vegans eat foods that look like animals. Like burgers. The whole Morning star brand. Fakin bacon etc. Am I the only one that thinks that's funny?

Burgers don't look like animals, lol. Neither do sausages, bacon etc But I suspect it is because some are vegan because of the health benefits?
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've wondered more why vegans eat things that TASTE like meat. I'm a veg, and I like being able to grill out a boca or morningstar farm burger. But any of that fake crap that not only looks, but tastes like meat grosses me out. Fake chicken is nasty as hell! I've always said if I want to eat something that tastes like real meat, I'll just start eating meat again!