wearing black nail polish in a corporate job inappropriate?

Options

Replies

• HaloKelly1
    HaloKelly1 Posts: 17
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::

I think this whole post is an honest to god load of crap.

Black nail polish is actually quite fashionable now, but not that it should matter.

It's nothing to do with your personality, it's a statement of choice/fashion which shows more brass and character than having "nude" nails.

Wear what you want to wear on your damn nails for heavens sake.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Go as neutral as possible for the interview. While you're interviewing, you can get a feel for the office and what's appropriate. Beyond the color of your nails, keep them short and maintained looking. You always want to err on the side of cautious and conservative if all you know is that it's corporate and you're unfamiliar with the actual atmosphere of the office.

And I don't know who suggested a "vampy red" but that is far, FAR more inappropriate than black for an interview.
  • cassandradancer
    Options
    Get the job, then repaint nails.

Basically, this. Stay neutral for the job interview, let your personality speak to your individuality and once you're employed wear what you want (within the company's code). I do have to say that I've been a hiring manager for years and not once have I looked at someone's nails. But it's best to stay safe.
  • MrsORourke
    MrsORourke Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I work for a HUGE corp. I showed up to my job interview with teal hair and nails. No one batted an eye and I got a job offer before I pulled out of the parking lot. So I tend to disagree with the conservative peeps that say you shouldn't. *shrug*
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    So as a person who has done hiring before and helped people with interviews here's what I can offer

1. Everything should be neutral, use neutral coloored or just clear coat polish, it shows you care about your appearance but you don't have to worry about peoples perceptions on different colors, This goes with clothes too, Shoes color matches belt color, Whites, Taupe, black, and Neutral colors are a yes. Bright colors, loud patterns, the latest fashion, are all no. If it looks like you can wear it to a club or a night out, do not wear it to an interview, end of discussion.

2. Shoes, no high heels, flip flops, sneakers, sandals, or crocs (seriously, I refused to interview a guy who showed up in crocs once). Low heels, dress/conservative shoes, yes. Try to avoid open toe all together

3. Wearing a dress? Wear leggings, no I don't care what your excuse is, wear the damn leggings, sheer panty hose or black work best, seriously resist the urge to finally get those fishnets out of the back of your drawer.

4. Hair, conservative and neat, unless you are trying to be a nightclub manager whatever cool hairstyle you have doesn't matter so don't do it

5. As a person with tattoo's sleeved on my arms I will tell you it your tattoo's are visible you just cut your chance to get hired in half so cover them up. If you have neck, hand, or other blatent tattoos and you don't have a degree in graphic design just go apply at warehouse's, 7-11's, and hot topic now, that's your future, congrats on your dumbass placed tattoo.

6. Jewerly. Modest to none, Don't show up looking like Mr. T, period.

7.Facial piercings, take them out, end of discussion

8.perfume/calogne, little to none, different people get bothered by different smells, do not risk it! If you show up smelling like a *kitten* house or like you just dutch ovened yourself with a 12pack of axe body spray you can kiss that job goodbye.

9. Real communication. Yeah, uh huh, sure, yup, and other short dumb sounding responses need to go all together. Wait to speak, never interrupt.

There's a ton of other stuff but this will get you started

ALL true!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I have a corporate job and I wear pink glitter polish. However, I did just wear clear when I was going to interviews.
    Interviewers can reject you based on their own weird personal preferences.
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I agree too..as a person who has hired a lot of folks in my life, black nail polish wont make my decision for me, but it would make me wonder if this person is a goth or emo.. and what kind of baggage is she bringing into my work invironment that I'm going to have to deal with later....

What does the color of a person's nails have to do with their emotional state... :huh:
  • loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You want to look professional in your interview, so they get the best first impression possible. Afterwards, put the polish back on! I wear black and dark purple polish all the time, I just like the way it looks against my skin. But just a clear coat on your nails will make them look clean and classic, and that will def help with your *hopefully!!* new bosses. Good luck!

This!! make a professional appearance and then...once you have landed the job and shown them how great you are...bring the black back! :smile:
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I would say avoid all nail polish and just do something really tasteful like a French tip.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your friend. I'm in HR and do the hiring.... as long as your nails are well-kept, the color does not matter. Your personality and experience will catch my attention more so than your nail polish preference. GOOD LUCK!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If they care that much about nail polish I wouldn't want to work there anyway. BTW I have zebra nails today and no one's said boo.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I had a corporate job for nearly eight years and I always wore any colored polish I wanted. I am a fairly Goth girl so I wore black all the time. I never had any issues. I have a tat on my neck that is visible if my hair is up and quite often my hair was dyed random shades of blue, red, or black. I have plenty of piercings as well. Never had a problem and it never affected my work or ethics.

Just to be safe...don't wear it to the interview. It do ask questions about office policy regarding appropriate office attire.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's inappropriate in a corporate (read: typically quite conservative) environment. Once you get the job, some companies may not have a problem with it, others will, but not a wise choice for an interview when you are not yet sure of the corporate culture.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've been a manager in a corporate environment for a long time. Don't wear the black polish. Everyone looks good on their resume, and everyone has great references, so I'm looking for a reason to eliminate you. I'm not saying black polish would be a solid reason to toss your resume, but I want to see that if the occasion calls for it, you will represent me and my company in a very professional way. An interview is you putting your best foot forward. If you can't forgo the black polish and facial piercings for that, how are you going to make me look in front of my boss and my investors if I need you to support me at a board meeting? When in doubt, go conservative. I'm much more flexible on general workdays, after you have the job.
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I would take it off and make sure you have a nice manicure.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    wow, I am dis heartened to heat this. So the color of my nails determines how people will perceive me, WOW. It's just a color on my nails, why should that matter.

Basically i can have all the qualifications in the world and a great personality, but because of the color of my nails i might not get hired..WHAT!!!!! ::jaw drops::
    OK, pick up your jaw and just accept reality.
    The one thing you can never say again is that you weren't warned.
    Decide where you want to be in life.
    Success is always a choice.
    I wish you well!
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I don't think black nailpolish is necessarily inappropriate in a corporate setting.

However: I don't think it's appropriate for an INTERVIEW setting (or at least most of them). The thing is, the interviewer has a very, very short time to get to know you. And just because your resume and credentials are great, they will still be nervous that you won't be able to do the job - there's a lot of current research on how interviews actually aren't that successful at predicting the success of future employees.

So, given that they have a piece of paper with info, and only about 20-30 mins of getting to know you, they have to take "cognitive shortcuts" and make assumptions about your ability based on things like how you present yourself. They can teach you the hard skills, but they want to know if you'll fit in to the corporate culture - and part of fitting in is understanding appropriate dress (including nails) for their setting, especially if your job will be dealing at all with their clientele.

Essentially it's not about the nailpolish itself, but it's about the whole picture that you present in the interview. Why risk it, anyway? If you aren't certain just take it off, and reapply it later!

I am just trying to get a feel of what you all think. I have an interview in 2 weeks with a corporate office. And a friends of mine mentioned that i should not forget to take off my black nail polish,. I looked at her and i was like, why should that matter?

Opninions...Thoughts!!!!
  • kariebo
    kariebo Posts: 101
    Options
    I am currently in the process of interviewing people and I have never looked at their nails. Honestly, it doesnt bother me if someone has black nail polish on -- i have seen many people have black nail polish and have it look very nice.. with designs and whatnot. I am more concerned with their skills and answers to my questions, also with their body reactions to certain scenarios that are given to them.

It also matters what kind of job you are interviewing for... if it is a highly creative job, they will generally not notice something like that. If it is corporate business -- marketing, client relations --- they probably will notice.

If you do decide to keep your nail polish, make sure its not chipped, that your nails are nicely manicured and fully painted and that it looks like a solid accent to your overall look. It should not stand out overly much or be garish.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I wouldn't wear black nail polish to an interview. Unless you know the corporate culture and the expectations, it may not be deemed appropriate. That being said, they may not care, but I'd play it safe until you know for sure.
  • Serenstar75
    Serenstar75 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I am just trying to get a feel of what you all think. I have an interview in 2 weeks with a corporate office. And a friends of mine mentioned that i should not forget to take off my black nail polish,. I looked at her and i was like, why should that matter?

Opninions...Thoughts!!!!

It also depends on the job...keep that in mind. I work in call centers because it's the main staple of the town where I live. If you aren't military, in a restaurant or fast food...you're in a call center. Here, call centers don't care generally about small nose piercings or anything like that. They do care about your clothing, though, and about multiple tattoos if not well presented.