Protection from dogs.

Options

Replies

• DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Carry pepper spray or doggie treats. Try to strike any attacking animal in the nose.

Side note (and just personal opinion) any breed of dog can be dangerous. Stay aware when you're walking or running. I've been chased/threatened by everything from Chihuahuas to German Shepherds (and licked nearly to death by Pit Bulls, which I happen to adore).

I'm glad that you're ok and any dog, vicious or not.....regardless of breed, should not be out without being on a leash. Period. You never know what any of them should do and it should always be reported.
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Out walking today I was bitten by a pitbull, not the best walk ever but I survived it and will carry on. For the future what would you suggest? Pepper spray or something like https://cbgsafetyproducts.com/dogchaser.htm, both say the don't work on all dogs so maybe both? Opinions?

I don't want to hurt an animal but I don't want to be hurt either...

I've been attacked three times since December by loose dogs. Luckily, I was not bitten but it was scary and I reported each and every one. Of the three incidents, only one was a pit bull. I was treated condenscendingly by the police and animal control. I wrote an editorial to our local paper AND I started carrying pepper spray. Lettercarriers told me it works every time. I haven't had to use it.

However, six weeks ago, a man in my same city was attacked and nearly killed in his own yard by a stray pit bull. It was reported front page in the paper. The man spent a week in the hospital and is currently recovering. As a responsible pet "owner" myself, I am appalled that leash laws are not enforced.

Now, I suppose, the local authorities are taking the issue of loose, unleashed dogs more seriously. But I'm still carrying my pepper spray!

-Debra
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Dogs don't like when people run. When people run (no matter the breed) they think of hunting and chasing.

Well I am sorry to hear you were bitten by a dog. That is unfortunate. Best thing to do is stand your ground, don't let them sense fear, and YELL at them. Carrying around a stick with you, or dog treats...that sometimes works.

For little dogs that attack (which they are known to go for the ankles) get down on their level, be assertive and YELL at them. If you are standing and yelling it won't have any effect...you need to get on their eye level.

As for the breed of the dog, I think it is unfortunate for Pit Bulls that they are being demonized by people - by those who having fallen prey to the dogs’ misrepresentation in the media. People don't even know how to recognize an actual breed of pit bull! That and the fact that people take these 'bull breeds' because they have a tough looking exterior and train them to be aggressive!

I have had two pitbull mix and they were the most tender dogs I have honestly met. They were both kind hearted, scared of cats, and very smart. Everyone that met Knuckles and Chance adored them. They never hurt anyone, rarely barked, were very loyal, and both had a playful/goofy side. Knuckles was so good that we were asked to use him for helping to keep people calm at the hospital.

Something I read recently: "According to testing by The National Canine Temperament Testing Association, the Golden Retriever, Poodle, Border Collie, English Setter, and numerous other breeds are considered more likely to become aggressive than the breeds commonly referred to as Pit Bulls."
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You carry a hand gun when you walk? Where the heck do you live????? WTF?

I carry a Beretta 92FS 9mm handgun when I walk. I live out in the plains (country) of Colorado and there are plenty of animals around to be afraid of on my walks. Not the least of all, dogs who have **** owners. Sorry, but if its between someones pet getting shot, and my leg getting a chunk out of it, that dog is going to be put down.
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options
    Where I live, the danger is more of wild animals than dogs.

With dogs, the way you present yourself is really important, I know it's hard, but 'showing no fear' does help. I carry an air horn with me, as I prefer to not harm an animal if possible, that being said, I do also carry a knife, just in case. The air horn is usually enough to break the attacking animal's train of thought, and make it a little more wary of you.

Best of luck in future walks, stay safe OP!

Air horn is a fantastic idea!!! I never thought of that. I don't carry anything but my iPod, though.....probably won't be much help. :D
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I've been bitten by an Irish Setter and a terrier. When a dog runs up on me I take the control stance and yell with a firm voice "Stop" it usually surprises the dog into stopping at least briefly which means if the owner is nearby he/she can grab the dog.

People should keep their dogs in an enclosed yard or on a leash. My black lab/pit mix is a huge chicken, growling and barking but shivering in fear behind me. I still tell people not to approach her because she may react in fear.

I agree that it is usually the owners that are the problem, not the dogs.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

ANY breed of dog is capable of snapping and attacking a person. We had a Pit mix when my kids were little and she was one of the most sweet-tempered dogs I've ever owned. I know people that have pure bred Pits and they are lovers; not fighters. They will protect their people, though. I understand where the reputation comes from...but my experience with Pits has been nothing but good. So to say that the entire breed should be banned is utterly ludicrous.
  • childofares
    childofares Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I carry a retractable baton. It's small to carry but easy to use and dogs tend to back down when it snaps out. As far as pits...meh. It is an aggressive brred. That is just the way it is. I used to have an akita and that is also an aggressive breed but I never tried to bull people into thinking he was all sweetness and light. He was a large and powerful animal. Do teacup chihuahuas bite? Absolutely..but are they capable of fitting a childs head in their mouth? No. Being aware of what my dog was capable of made me a more responsible pet owner. I didn't encourage children near him, let strangers pet him etc. Was he a sweet dog? Absolutely! He never hurt anyone even when kids ran up and grasped his fur/poked him in the eye but the chance was there and I never lied to myself that it wasn't a possibility or that his breed was being prejudiced against. Are a large number of pits aggressive? yes. Sorry but it's true of most big dogs/purebloods. Doesn't mean your family pit is evil..it just means he needs to be watched and treated with caution from others.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Everyone that owns a pitbull thinks that with the right love and training their dog would never attack a person, but reality sets and instinct takes over. This particular dog breed should be banned.

You should consider speaking to an attorney.

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

You need to shut up SO MUCH.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You just need to run with a partner............and be faster than they are. Problem solved.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Pit-Bull-label-often-wrong-DNA-testing-shows.jpg

I love how every article in the news about a dog biting someone states the dog is a pit. I have owned a pit. he was the best behaved and nicest dog you could ever wish for. I currently have 2 boxer mixes which are constantly being called pit bulls.

I also carry a gun when I go out. We have had some close encounters with bear and mountain lions in my neighborhood. In a more urban area I would try the doggie biscuits though.

Do you have the source website for that photo? We adopted a stray that is often mistaken for a pitbull (I made the same mistake). We had DNA testing done and she is part American Bulldog (which is not a pit), Dalmation, Plott Hound, and Boykin Spaniel. We also know folks with a Boxer mix that is routinely mistaken for a pit. I'm not being down on Pit Bulls (I've found myself becoming a breed defender based on the frequent misidentification), but military bases ban Pits and I routinely gather data in case I need to use it.

Apologies for the off-topic post
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Back when I did some door-to-door sales stuff (Ugh!) I got bit & learned to carry pepper spray. I had to use it a few times on aggressive dogs. If you get em in the face they typically back away or try to rub their faces or rub it into the ground. I never had one yelp in pain or anything, but it at least gives you about 10-15 seconds to get out or whatever, for some dogs they'll completely stay away after a spray.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options

Running away from the animal doesn't help. Also, protect your neck. Given the chance animals will go for the jugular.

Wrong on both counts. Maybe read a book, a Wikipedia article, something before you go spouting off nonsense.
    The jugular is in the front, animals (when trying to kill, not just snapping) generally go for the back of the neck. Even big cats that go for the front of the neck of large animals are trying to close the windpipe, not sever the jugular. So, during an actual attack (not bite and back off), curl into a ball and get your hands on the back of your neck/head. Protect your spine.
    Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, not humans. Going all the way back to the beginning of the breed, a dog that would attack a person was culled and not bred. More recently there have been some morons breeding for aggression to humans but that is the minority. So the "instinct" to attack people doesn't exist. There has been some tendency towards human aggression bred in but only in a few lines and not long enough to be an instinct.
    There's always going to be a breed that's demonized in the media. It was German Shepherd Dogs in the 70s, Dobermans in the 80s and Rottweillers in the 90s. Now it's the bullies and I'd guess it's going to be one of the South American breeds next. In some areas of Africa they've moved past dogs altogether and the "tough" guys have hyenas.
    Pits used to be considered the ultimate All-American family dog. Remember The Our Gang/Little Rascals? Petey was a pit bull.
    I worked in a large national pet chain for 14 years. I met a lot of dogs. There was never a pit who gave me reason to be nervous. There were plenty of small dogs I wouldn't touch. The "scariest" looking pit who every came in was a big, blue-brindle male. Intact, short and very powerful. Heavily muscled, cropped ears. He looked like he could eat you. At least until you made eye contact with him and he fell over in a puddle on your feet and wiggled all over for a belly rub.
    A few more years and the media will move past pits and find another breed to pick on.
    If any dog charges, freeze, say "NO" in a very deep, very calm voice. Carry pepper spray. If pepper spray isn't legal an air horn is surprisingly effective.
  • EggTamOut
    EggTamOut Posts: 16
    Options

Wrong on both counts. Maybe read a book, a Wikipedia article, something before you go spouting off nonsense.
    The jugular is in the front, animals (when trying to kill, not just snapping) generally go for the back of the neck. Even big cats that go for the front of the neck of large animals are trying to close the windpipe, not sever the jugular. So, during an actual attack (not bite and back off), curl into a ball and get your hands on the back of your neck/head. Protect your spine.
    Pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs, not humans. Going all the way back to the beginning of the breed, a dog that would attack a person was culled and not bred. More recently there have been some morons breeding for aggression to humans but that is the minority. So the "instinct" to attack people doesn't exist. There has been some tendency towards human aggression bred in but only in a few lines and not long enough to be an instinct.
    There's always going to be a breed that's demonized in the media. It was German Shepherd Dogs in the 70s, Dobermans in the 80s and Rottweillers in the 90s. Now it's the bullies and I'd guess it's going to be one of the South American breeds next. In some areas of Africa they've moved past dogs altogether and the "tough" guys have hyenas.
    Pits used to be considered the ultimate All-American family dog. Remember The Our Gang/Little Rascals? Petey was a pit bull.
    I worked in a large national pet chain for 14 years. I met a lot of dogs. There was never a pit who gave me reason to be nervous. There were plenty of small dogs I wouldn't touch. The "scariest" looking pit who every came in was a big, blue-brindle male. Intact, short and very powerful. Heavily muscled, cropped ears. He looked like he could eat you. At least until you made eye contact with him and he fell over in a puddle on your feet and wiggled all over for a belly rub.
    A few more years and the media will move past pits and find another breed to pick on.
    If any dog charges, freeze, say "NO" in a very deep, very calm voice. Carry pepper spray. If pepper spray isn't legal an air horn is surprisingly effective.

Finally a voice of reason. Thank you for this informative, insightful reply!
  • DonniesGirl69
    Options
    petey.jpg

I love this :)
  • dirty_blonde
    dirty_blonde Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I've been bitten by more kids then dogs maybe we should ban kids!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options

Finally a voice of reason. Thank you for this informative, insightful reply!

Good advice, thank you!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options

Oh, here comes the ignorance. I wondered how far into the thread this would happen. Turns out, I didn't have to look far.

For the record, my 5 year old bully breed shakes when he is attacked by other dogs, including a beautiful Lab, and several tiny dogs.

He lives with a rabbit and a cat. And, yes, they all run around together.

He is well trained and well loved.

But, I guess it's okay to discriminate against animals because they can't speak for themselves, huh?

Any animal's instinct is to protect itself. If it feels threatened, it will attack or run away. If it has been mistrained or mistreated, it is more unpredictable. Not any more unpredictable than humans, though. Humans are far more dangerous.

I suggest you look at the facts. Plenty of them on here;

http://nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options

Thank you so much for this.
  • InnerFatGirl
    Options
    Have a look at this guys;

http://vickdogsblog.blogspot.co.uk/

These dogs were brutally killed and abused, forced to fight and visciously killed when they refused to fight by the scum that is Micheal Vick.

They were rescued, and instead of being put down, some amazing humans went through the journey of rehabilitating these dogs.

What they found is most of them were extremely frightened of humans. Cowering down and crouching in fear. Yet, they were labelled as the most 'dangerous dogs in America', simply because of the background they came from.

They rescued about 47 dogs. One died of injuries sustained by being kicked by one of the scum. One got hit by a car. And one had to be put down because she was viscious, due to being used as a breeding dog and subjected to constant rape and breeding. (this may need clarifying, it's been a while).

At least two of them are now therapy dogs and are living out their lives, happily, with people who love them and don't judge them for their breed. Thank DOG they were given a second chance.

More people are killed by cars and other humans than by pit bulls. More pit bulls are ABUSED and killed by humans than humans killed by pit bulls. Get some perspective.

I'll leave you with this gem :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qS8irL38JVc

I'd also suggest reading 'The Lost Dogs'. Very insightful and full of FACTS.

By the way, Lennox the dog was ripped away from his family home and killed just last week, due to ignorance surrounding this breed. He never done ANYTHING wrong, and was loved. They kept him locked up, the family weren't allowed to see him, for TWO years. His fur was falling out, he had sores all over his body and a wound on his neck. And they killed him. Don't add to the ignorance, please. Animals are LIVING BEINGS TOO.
This discussion has been closed.