Paleo Diet!

Options

Replies

• tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go primal (struggling with sugar. call it what you like but I'm a junkie.) and wondering: for those of you who've boosted to 50% or more of fats - HOW? I'm trying to kick it up and getting nowhere near 50%. I know some folks will eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, and while I love my coconut oil that's too much for me. suggestions? please?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The fact that someone says I can't live without ____________ is showing the signs of addiction.

I guess every human and every animal is addicted to food then. And food must also be a drug. :huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It would be nice if you non Paleo/Primal peeps would take your personal little cat fight to private messages and leave this thread for giving helpful information to those interested in Paleo/Primal

I think it started when a paleo advocate suggested that others are addicted to grains.....

And you really don't have to read posts you don't like, even block people if you wish.

Yep, that's how it started. No one likes to be called names.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try this diet, but I know for afact I wouldnt be able to stick to it...I love yogurt & cheese too much lol
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to go primal (struggling with sugar. call it what you like but I'm a junkie.) and wondering: for those of you who've boosted to 50% or more of fats - HOW? I'm trying to kick it up and getting nowhere near 50%. I know some folks will eat spoonfuls of coconut oil, and while I love my coconut oil that's too much for me. suggestions? please?

It's easier to get fats on Primal than Paleo.
    Look at my diary. Lots of nuts, whole milk, butter, and cheese. But also TONS of salmon. So much good fat.
    Oh, and fatty red meats too. Let's not forget those.

Macadamia nuts have an amazing fat content. But they cost their weight in gold.
  • chanson104
    chanson104 Posts: 859
    Options
    I accepted a challenge to eat paleo for six weeks. Within 24 hours of the diet bloating and constipation were no longer an issue for me. Three weeks into it I was ready to give it all up for a piece of cheese! I stuck it out though, and I am now five weeks into it. Not too long ago all that I could think was that I couldn't wait for these six weeks to be over so that I could have a bowel of steel cut oats and some Greek yogurt. Now I really couldn't care less if I eat those things or not. I think that at the end of next week I will consider my diet to be Paleo with some cheats thrown it. :wink: I am a little nervous though as to how my digestive system will respond to those cheats. :sick:

I would not call this way of eating restrictive! I have come across many delicious paleo recipes.

Give it a try and have fun with it. I strongly urge you to do it at least for five to six weeks so that you sufficiently get past that three week hump. Whatever you decide to do I hope you have fun learning about your body and diet options!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

The fact that someone says I can't live without ____________ is showing the signs of addiction.

I guess every human and every animal is addicted to food then. And food must also be a drug. :huh:

No, you are twisting the words to make it mean what you want it to mean.

I don't live to eat food. I eat food merely to live. Meaning if I didn't need it, I wouldn't even use it.

If for a fact (which you said) that eating natural whole foods is too restrictive for you, then there are DEFINITELY some addiction issues there.

Humans were never intended to eat industrial made FOOD LIKE SUBSTANCE. We were intended to eat REAL FOOD merely for sustanance.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Sugar and grains are drugs. Research it. They hit the area of the brain that sparks the same effects as drug or nicotine addiction.

We could actually learn a LOT from animals. They eat only to survive. And they eat what is biologically appropriate for them off their own instinct.

Humans are so smart that they are stupid. Thinking cake, cookies, bread, crackers, soda, ice cream, etc is going to keep them in good health.

It will catch up to you.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I'd love to try this diet, but I know for afact I wouldnt be able to stick to it...I love yogurt & cheese too much lol

There is nothing that says that you can't have dairy unless you are intolerant to it.

I am sitting here eating a whole 16oz container of Fage full fat yogurt with raspberries mixed in for breakfast this morning.

I brought a salad for lunch which has raw cheddar cheese in it.

The Primal / Paleo way of life is a coined term for eating VERY CLEAN.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Most of us that eat the Paleo lifestyle don't partake in seeds such as quinoa either due to the inflammatory effects.

Paleolithic people ate a LOT of seeds
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Check out Primal, it is less restrictive.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

AHA! You stumbled on the key word: dependency. You can become dependent on anything. It is not the same as a physical addiction, but it is still unhealthy. I am simply providing the difference. We can find different ways to deal with stress, but overcoming physical addiction causes very real physical symptoms not present when breaking psychological dependencies. Therein lies the difference. The difference is of note to me personally because I have suffered both. That's why I originally stated that I know the difference.

I can go months at a time without thinking about something, and I'm fine. I can't go more than a couple of hours without a cigarette before my body physically reminds me that it is low on nicotine. My body actually believes that nicotine is a required susbtance, even though we all know that it is not.

But in the real world, what difference can it possibly make to someone? I just don't get the point ... You win?

To me, it's a world of difference. Kicking a psychological dependency is as easy as a slap in the face, "Stop it!" But with a physical dependency, there is pain and suffering involved. Watch someone detox off heroin and you will see what I mean.

Oh good gravy, what nonsense!

People don't have the same detox symptoms when they detox of cigarettes as with heroin. So I guess that's just a psychological addiction then and a good slap in the face would cure it?

Psychological addictions can be just as intense as physical, and just as hard to kick.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Humans are so smart that they are stupid. Thinking cake, cookies, bread, crackers, soda, ice cream, etc is going to keep them in good health.

Do humans really think this?

Many correctly think that eating these things in moderation won't ruin your health, but I'd wager most don't think these things are what will keep them in good health.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options

No, you are twisting the words to make it mean what you want it to mean.

I don't live to eat food. I eat food merely to live. Meaning if I didn't need it, I wouldn't even use it.

If for a fact (which you said) that eating natural whole foods is too restrictive for you, then there are DEFINITELY some addiction issues there.

Humans were never intended to eat industrial made FOOD LIKE SUBSTANCE. We were intended to eat REAL FOOD merely for sustanance.

...win
  • onceabyrne
    onceabyrne Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to start eating Paleo today. I had already been eating clean (mostly) the past several months and had already ditched the processed foods (mostly) and grains because I know how my body responds to those types of carbs (not well at all). But, I had been drinking Body by Vi shakes for breakfast/dinner. These are a soy based product with a lot of additional added chemicals. That - along with milk - made me decide to give it up and go 100% Paleo. Regardless of your feelings about dairy, grains, etc. one of the main premises of eating Paleo/Primal is the quality of food that we are putting into our bodies. So whether I end up at some point adding dairy back or grains, it will be of the highest quality (no GMO's, no additives, etc.).

I also know it is easy to say organic, grass-fed, etc. is hard to do on a budget because we are so used to shopping for what is cheapest. But, since I rarely eat out anymore, it seems like it hasn't made an impact in my budget at all. I went in with a friend to buy a large volume of grass-fed beef, poulty, pork and wild-caught salmon since I have a chest freezer. I go to the farmers market each Saturday morning to buy my produce. What's great about going to the farmes market - you are not only buying local, but you are eating sustainablely by eating what is in season. This also helps you get a good rotation of different fruits and veggies. I'm buying a lot of blueberries right now and freeze them so I'll have them in the off season. I also realized that when I stopped buying frozen meals, processed foods, etc. I didn't spend nearly as much at the store.

If there are any other cavemen/women eaters out there -- or even non-cavemen -- that would like to add me, please do! It would be nice to have the support! :)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to start eating Paleo today. I had already been eating clean (mostly) the past several months and had already ditched the processed foods (mostly) and grains because I know how my body responds to those types of carbs (not well at all). But, I had been drinking Body by Vi shakes for breakfast/dinner. These are a soy based product with a lot of additional added chemicals. That - along with milk - made me decide to give it up and go 100% Paleo. Regardless of your feelings about dairy, grains, etc. one of the main premises of eating Paleo/Primal is the quality of food that we are putting into our bodies. So whether I end up at some point adding dairy back or grains, it will be of the highest quality (no GMO's, no additives, etc.).

I also know it is easy to say organic, grass-fed, etc. is hard to do on a budget because we are so used to shopping for what is cheapest. But, since I rarely eat out anymore, it seems like it hasn't made an impact in my budget at all. I went in with a friend to buy a large volume of grass-fed beef, poulty, pork and wild-caught salmon since I have a chest freezer. I go to the farmers market each Saturday morning to buy my produce. What's great about going to the farmes market - you are not only buying local, but you are eating sustainablely by eating what is in season. This also helps you get a good rotation of different fruits and veggies. I'm buying a lot of blueberries right now and freeze them so I'll have them in the off season. I also realized that when I stopped buying frozen meals, processed foods, etc. I didn't spend nearly as much at the store.

If there are any other cavemen/women eaters out there -- or even non-cavemen -- that would like to add me, please do! It would be nice to have the support! :)

Awesome. Sounds like you are doing it the "right" way, both in what you are doing and your thinking behind it. I expect you will find these final steps almost totally painless with some very likely noticeable results.

Enjoy your journey and good luck.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options

There is a Primal/Paleo group you can join, just search for it in the groups section.
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options

And you are DEFINITELY an idiot! You have no clue what it means to be addicted. If I enjoy peanuts as an occasional snack, that doesn't mean I have psychological problems. You are belittling true addicts when you make assanine statements like that.

It's unfortunate that you don't enjoy your Capt Caveman diet. I am enjoying my diet. It's too bad that some people confuse enjoyment with destruction. :smokin:

It's just too bad that a few people can't have respect for others around here. :yawn:

You call someone an idiot, then complain people don't have respect for each other. :laugh:
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Back to the calories... how do you determine how many to consume when you're doing Paleo/Primal? Do you just go by what MFP suggests?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    Back to the calories... how do you determine how many to consume when you're doing Paleo/Primal? Do you just go by what MFP suggests?

I pay no attention to calories. I try to make sure that my ratios are 50-60% fat, 20-25% protein and the remainder carbs.