The crazy things people say when you are losing weight...

Options

Replies

• maylene1853
    Options
    i had a bypass so i did go from 253 to 126 in less then a year. i was accused of being very ill and or doing drugs lol....

i have recently gained some weight back tho and am now 144. its way healthier looking but im scared of the regain and going back on track here at mfp.

oh and i also kinda dont like all the male attention i get now. at first it was flattering. the whistles and catcalls just walking down the street. but it got annoying. they are seeing my body, not ME. and well they would not have liked me at my worst so they have no chance with me at my best.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Every time my father-in-law would see me he'd say, "You still on that diet?" And I would say, "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change." Every single time he would laugh like I told the world's funniest joke and walk away shaking his head, saying, "lifestyle change." Then he'd laugh some more.

Eventually I just started saying, "No. I'm not on a diet."
  • LauraRose03
    LauraRose03 Posts: 140
    Options
    I did plan to have surgery, and I'm on a pre-op diet that's going so well that I may not qualify by the time my surgery date rolls around. I'm usually a super open person who doesn't mind answering questions honestly, as long as the person asking doesn't make me feel like a freak show.

I'll tell you the ones that get to me, though:

(Not a question, but a comment) "I don't see why you think you need to lose so much. You're not fat." Bless your heart...I DO own a mirror. I'm just fat, not blind or stupid.

"How much weight do you want to lose?" and when I tell them "oh...are you sure? That's going to be way too much. I think you should aim for (insert arbitrary number here)." Yeah, I don't remember your occupying a seat in the surgeon's office when we set my weight goals. Trust me, I've done my research. I know what a healthy weight is for me.

"Oh, that surgery will never work. My hamster's cousin's uncle's best friend's neighbor had that, and now she weighs 8 million pounds and needs a crane to use the bathroom. Have you tried (insert fad diet of the moment here)?" Why yes...yes I have. A few times. And guess what? It didn't work for me.

"Aren't you afraid you're going to die?" Well yes, as a matter of fact I am. That's why I'm doing something about my weight. I'd rather die knowing I made an attempt than die even more quickly from a preventable illness. P.S. We all die from SOMETHING...I just prefer that my weight not be that something.

And my favorite:

"Isn't it haaaaaaard (they always draw it out like that) switching your diet all up like that?" Yup, you bet it is. It's even harder lugging my extra-wide butt around, and watching my loved ones enjoy things I know I can't do. I promise you, I'm not likely to expire from the effort of eating better. Maybe you should try it, too.

Oh wait...one more...

"Don't you miss chocolate cake/ice cream/double cheeseburgers with extra lard and mayo?" Well, not until you said THAT! (except the double cheeseburger...I hate cheeseburgers and always have) But I'd rather experience a full, active life than repeat the feel of biting into a chocolate cake. I KNOW what that's like...I want new experiences!
    Love. Love this ;)

The best!!!!!!
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I haven't lost all that much yet but the inches have melted off since I started strength workouts. I have this one friend who knows I've been trying to get healthy and she makes this really snarky comments that should be compliments, but you can tell by the way she says it that it's just sarcasm. Her comments don't bother me nearly as much as my efforts seem to be bothering her :laugh:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    "Oooo, so you're a health nut now." Not really? I'm just not eating crap all the time. >.>
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    My boss: "You sure are getting skinny! How come?" Um....I'm not trying to get "skinny". I'm trying to get healthy.
    My aunt (when I mentioned going to the gym on my FB page): "I don't care what you say. You're too skinny." I am NOT "too skinny" I still have about 5 pounds to go before my belly is flat and she hasn't seen me in years. She can STFU now. I can't stand when people argue with me about how much weight *I* should or should not lose.
    My coworker (when I refused carrot cake): "That's how you stay so skinny" No, I just choose not to pollute my body with junk.
    Random coworker dude who only works on Friday: "You've lost a lot of weight!" When was the last time you talked to me?? Um...never. Creepy.
    Another coworker: : "Have you lost weight?" Me: "Yes" Coworker: "On purpose?" Me: "Yes" Coworker: "Congratulations!"

People are strange.

I always hate when people comment on my weight loss with "You don't need to lose weight" or something similar. I always respond with "Well, you haven't seen me naked." That always shuts them up! :devil:
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    this from someone who has only seen me on web came in the last two years. My FIL. I told him by the time hubby and come to visit over labor day, we will be have lost noticeable weight. I explained mpf. He said "well that is good because when i watched on you chrstmas day, I noticed you ate more than 7,000 (yes 7,000) calories. Im like wtf. the web cam is no longer. and he can kiss my ever getting healthier butt. I cannot even imagine what 7,000 calories looks like? I also have an Eatting Disorder? yea lets make that worse. So got rid of the cam, it will forever be broken. lol and he can just see the healier me and hubby in Sept. And be surprised when i break out my scale and measuring cups.
  • maylene1853
    Options
    hahaha too funny, i really did had to buy all new bras lol.
  • Dedicatediva
    Dedicatediva Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you do it.
    You don't need to lose no more weight.
    You need to eat more meat.
  • Chrisplayer136
    Chrisplayer136 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose anymore weight."
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    So instead of being condescending or taking it as an insult, as it seems many people do, why not let these people know what changes you have made to get where you are, so they can too. Because that's usually the reason people ask. This whole site is about everyone helping everyone get more fit, so why is everyone so against that same camaraderie in the real world?

This^^^^^!! I am an MFP poster child. I tell people about this site, help them get started...it's almost like I found religion all over again. Well I guess I did find a new healthy life, so that's pretty cool too!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of losing a lot of weight that I have carried all my life. It's noticeable. Most people say something along the lines of, "Wow, you look great!" which is a wonderful boost for me. Plus it has the added benefit of allowing me to either say "thank you" and move on, or to open up a discussion about it if I so choose.

It's amazing to me what some people have said to me though! Many people will come up to me in the hall at work, and instead of saying "hi" will say, "So how much weight have you lost?" I am not comfortable giving my number out to everyone, because I still have a long way to go, and frankly, it's still embarrassing to me that I had so much to lose in the first place. I had one person who could not let it go (and this was someone I can NOT stand under the best of circumstances!). When he asked how much I had lost, I just replied "a lot." He kept on asking "so how much is a lot?" Seriously! Why does it matter!?

When I first started losing weight, people would ask me if I was losing weight. I learned to answer, "Yes, I am certainly trying to!" because if I just said "yes" it was following with something like "have you been sick?"

Many people want to know what I am doing. I have started making stuff up, because no one believes that I could just change my eating habits and exercise routine and have any success. I told someone once that I had been hypnotized. Haha!

My favorite is the woman who said "I didn't know you had weight loss surgery!" Yeah...I didn't. How uncomfortable.

What is the craziest thing that someone has said to you while you were losing weight?

My husband makes funny quirks here and there and accused me of having a boyfriend at the gym since I spend so much time there. I told him I do and his name is "Jack" as in "Jumping Jack" so occasionally he will ask me how Jack is doing, and I have something ultra witty to reply with and he shuts up! =) LOL
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    "OMG, you look great! Not that you looked bad before, but really really great! what's your secret?" When I tell them its the only thing I know that's 100%guaranteed to work I have them on the edge of their seats. Then I drop the bomb. "I make good food choices, I log my food, watch my calories and exercise faithfully!" You should see the crushed look on their faces [Mhua ha ha ha!!]

bahahaha this made me crack up!
  • LadyAmy20
    LadyAmy20 Posts: 137
    Options
    to be honest I would be so happy to get half of the comments people are posting on here, haha.
  • chixdrag2
    chixdrag2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Someone asked me "Are you dying? Why'd you get so skinny???" Then there are the people that,instead of going "You lost a lot of weight, you look great" they just say "You lost a lot of weight..." Not sure how to reply to that. I wouldn't say "thank you" bc it doesnt sound like a compliment. What is the correct answer to that??? "Yes, yes I did." Or the people who say, "You've lost alot of weight,don't lose anymore." bc they think you're starving yourself. Actually bro, I probably eat twice as often as you do in a day,but thanx for your concern!

Anything short of a compliment, I would NEVER say anything about someone's weight! Some people are so insensitive!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I understand the feeling, BUT, I, also, have probably said some stupid things to people, too. It's not that I/people meant to be mean OR stupid, sometimes we want to acknowledge something and just don't know what to say. So, unless it's said in a mean way or hateful way, maybe we could cut people some slack. Sometimes it's hard to know what to say and, if you are anything like me, sometimes words just don't come out right. I don't mean to hurt feelings, but I know that I have. :(
  • nihummel
    nihummel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Someone came up to me I hadn't seen for a while and they said, "Oh my gosh, you must've lost over 200 pounds"! Well if that were the case I would be down to a whopping 40 pounds. It hurt knowing that she thought I was THAT big. Ouchy.
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    when people say Whoa you look so effin s e x y now i say HMPFf...i was always S e x y.

I realize I am old, but this could have been in Chinese and I would have understood it better.....

HMPFf?

Hold My Phone Freddy's finger?
    Help My Poop Feels funny?
    Heavy Metal People F--kin' footballs?

lol! its an onomonopia!
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I am in the middle of losing a lot of weight that I have carried all my life. It's noticeable. Most people say something along the lines of, "Wow, you look great!" which is a wonderful boost for me. Plus it has the added benefit of allowing me to either say "thank you" and move on, or to open up a discussion about it if I so choose.

It's amazing to me what some people have said to me though! Many people will come up to me in the hall at work, and instead of saying "hi" will say, "So how much weight have you lost?" I am not comfortable giving my number out to everyone, because I still have a long way to go, and frankly, it's still embarrassing to me that I had so much to lose in the first place. I had one person who could not let it go (and this was someone I can NOT stand under the best of circumstances!). When he asked how much I had lost, I just replied "a lot." He kept on asking "so how much is a lot?" Seriously! Why does it matter!?

When I first started losing weight, people would ask me if I was losing weight. I learned to answer, "Yes, I am certainly trying to!" because if I just said "yes" it was following with something like "have you been sick?"

Many people want to know what I am doing. I have started making stuff up, because no one believes that I could just change my eating habits and exercise routine and have any success. I told someone once that I had been hypnotized. Haha!

My favorite is the woman who said "I didn't know you had weight loss surgery!" Yeah...I didn't. How uncomfortable.

What is the craziest thing that someone has said to you while you were losing weight?

I could have wrote this post, word to word until I got to the part about making stuff up. Every person I'm around can clearly see I have changed my eating habits and choices. They know I'm also exercising and it is working for me.

Now for the craziest thing said to me ........... "You need to stop losing, you are going to blow away." Why do they say that? Could it be because I now weigh a lot less than they do??? I have lost a lot of weight, but I still have several pounds to go for a healthy weight.
  • lovinmyselfagain
    lovinmyselfagain Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Ooh, ooh, I get this. My conversation goes like this, though:

Them: When are you gonna quit losing weight?
    Me: When I get back to my birth weight - 6 pounds, 11 ounces.
    Them: Hhmmph. Well, I think you've lost enough.
    Me: Hhmmph. That's because you haven't seen me nekkid (I know it's "naked." I'm from the south)

Your birth weight...bahahaha. I'll have to use this whenever someone says something ignorant to me.