"clean foods"

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    You want to be getting "the most bang for your buck" nutritionally. While weight loss/maintenence are primarily a result of calories in/calories out, you still want to be getting proper nutrition so that your body can perform at optimum efficiency. Fresh/raw fruits/veggies, lean meats/fish, whole grains (with as little processing as possible), etc... Stay away from most boxed/canned/bagged items, fast food, and processed drinks and juices. There are varying degrees of "clean eating", but I have found that a moderate, common sense approach works best for me, as anything too complicated or extreme is too hard for me to stick to.
  • melissaaguilar8
    Options
    These clean foods are what really define your body. If you eat 1200 calories of processed food your body will get smaller but still have that "skinny fat" look. If you eat 1200 calories of clean, whole foods you will have more defined look, with any of this you should be doing exercise including weights.

7365937.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    Use google to find lists of omega 3 foods and load up, then find omega 6 foods and cut way down!

Most Americans eat a diet at 40-1 6's to 3's and it should be 5-1 Omega 6's cause inflammation and disrupted communication

between cells and 3's do the opposite!
  • droberts3311
    Options
    I don't really eat clean to lose, I do it because of the gross things they put in food. It really is amazing to read up on it. I try to stick with two rules,
    1. If it don't have a mother, come from the ground or tree I try to stay away.
    2. The more it has in it the worse it is for you. Or if you can't say it, you should not eat it.

I do eat stuff that is not good for you but not ofter. Google the grossest things they put in food. That will lead you to where you need to go. Good luck!:smile:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The second post here: it's not a myth. Calories in does not equal calories out.

I've done a "clean" diet for food allergies for the past month and lost 17 lbs from it, without cutting calories anywhere. I was eating my maintenance number of calories with only a bit of walking to and from work. If calories in and calories out equalled weight loss, why did I lose 17 lbs.

On top of that: This weekend I started eating some of my old, regular diet. The first time I ate something pre-packaged and frozen.

I gained 2 lbs over 3 days, again, eating the same number of calories.

So if you think "clean foods" is a myth, then explain that to me.

To answer the OP: IMO, "clean foods" are anything that don't come out of a box, can, plastic bag, etc. If its raw, and you're making your food from scratch, it's clean.

For a comparison: Home made cranberry sports drink vs a bottle coca cola. What do you think is "clean"?
  • melissaaguilar8
    Options
    These clean foods are what really define your body. If you eat 1200 calories of processed food your body will get smaller but still have that "skinny fat" look. If you eat 1200 calories of clean, whole foods you will have more defined look, with any of this you should be doing exercise including weights.

7365937.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

smh. there's major difference between eating to lose weight and eating to lose weight AND be healthy.

Losing weight is still losing weight! The BMI doesn't measure if you are healthy or not, it just go by your weight.
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    Clean foods are not a myth... they are simply foods that are less/not processed and therefore healthier.

Whether or not they assist in weight loss..well, that is debatable.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    clean foods are a myth. calories in and calories out is what counts to lose weight.

Twinkie Diet: http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

just my two cents.

smh. there's major difference between eating to lose weight and eating to lose weight AND be healthy.

Losing weight is still losing weight!

You're right! I could go for a month without eating a thing! I'm sure I'll lose a lot of weight doing that! Who cares if it isn't healthy, and that I'll gain it all back as soon as I put an apple in my mouth...

(sarcasm here)
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome list. thanks for sharing this!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome list. thanks for sharing this!

No problem! Just trying to learn the ropes! ;0)
  • jsj024519
    Options

I've done a "clean" diet for food allergies for the past month and lost 17 lbs from it, without cutting calories anywhere. I was eating my maintenance number of calories with only a bit of walking to and from work. If calories in and calories out equalled weight loss, why did I lose 17 lbs.

On top of that: This weekend I started eating some of my old, regular diet. The first time I ate something pre-packaged and frozen.

To answer the OP: IMO, "clean foods" are anything that don't come out of a box, can, plastic bag, etc. If its raw, and you're making your food from scratch, it's clean.

For a comparison: Home made cranberry sports drink vs a bottle coca cola. What do you think is "clean"?

Clean food is "washing your food" IMO. The veggies you buy at the store are most likely sprayed and grown with chemical and fertilizers unless you grow your veggies with your own hydroponic system or back yard. You literally have to grow your own food and go to specialty markets to get clean food. So you never plan to ever eat anything out of a box again and ALWAYS make food food from scratch? Back to reality....

As for your weight gain, riddle me this... I eat packaged food all the time and lost 20 pounds. So it must be you then right?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Try www.thegraciouspantry.com She's got LOADS of tips, recipes, etc -- ALL clean!

Clean eating is basically giving up processed stuff, refined stuff, etc. Getting back to things in their natural state. Give that site a look, I bet it will help you!

AWESOME, thank you!!

I think my biggest problem is going to be that i'm so used to the added flavor that processed foods have- that i'm going to be struggling with things being too bland. If that makes sense.

You get used to it! Depends how much you want your goals. Seek out the enjoyment of a food's natural flavours. Savour each mouthful of food when you eat it. It probably is the reason why I've never been overweight - I don't wolf down food. I take time to enjoy the flavour and the texture. Then again, I'm probably a bit weird. :-D
  • mab2golf
    mab2golf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Clean foods are unprocessed foods that are not mass produced. See www.whole9life.com for a list of the foods. Dallas and Melissa Hartwig are the founders of whole9 which is a great resource for people trying to eat clean. They stress eating organic and grass fed animals such as beef, eggs, poultry, and non processed meats. Also, eating organic vegetables, fruits, and eating the best cooking fats such as extra virgin olive oil, ghee, coconut oil. Humans were not meant to eat all the processed food that is being mass produced by these big companies. When I eat a packaged food, I'm getting ingredients that I don't even know what it is, and then I'm putting in my body. It really comes down to making healthy choices since we need our bodies to sustain us if we are to live into our 80's. Just get informed.
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

just my two cents.

Good read but who wants to be skinny and eat like that?? I don't think anyone could eat like that the rest of their lives. If you can, power to you!!
  • jsj024519
    Options

just my two cents.

Losing weight is still losing weight!

You're right! I could go for a month without eating a thing! I'm sure I'll lose a lot of weight doing that! Who cares if it isn't healthy, and that I'll gain it all back as soon as I put an apple in my mouth...

(sarcasm here)

I know I am right dude
  • jsj024519
    Options

Read this:

http://www.thespartanwarrior.com/post/7659167105/cleaneatingisascam2
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Try www.thegraciouspantry.com She's got LOADS of tips, recipes, etc -- ALL clean!

Clean eating is basically giving up processed stuff, refined stuff, etc. Getting back to things in their natural state. Give that site a look, I bet it will help you!

AWESOME, thank you!!

I think my biggest problem is going to be that i'm so used to the added flavor that processed foods have- that i'm going to be struggling with things being too bland. If that makes sense.

i was really really worried about that too but as soon as I started trying "clean" recipes within a couple weeks I found that my taste completely changed. I started really being able to taste the food I was eating and I started needing salt and other things like that less and less. I now find I dont have many cravings for processed foods at all. ill reach for some raw almonds before i reach for a muffin LOL. give it a try im telling you itll really make a difference in your weight loss!
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options

AWESOME, thank you!!

You get used to it! Depends how much you want your goals. Seek out the enjoyment of a food's natural flavours. Savour each mouthful of food when you eat it. It probably is the reason why I've never been overweight - I don't wolf down food. I take time to enjoy the flavour and the texture. Then again, I'm probably a bit weird. :-D

haha, yeah i'm definitely guilty of 'wolfing down food' I've never really put much thought into what i'm eating- hence WHY i'm at the point i'm at now.
  • Blaqheart
    Blaqheart Posts: 235
    Options
    Thank you for this. I saved gracious pantry into bookmarks. It will get a lot of visits from me!!