a special kind of fat that won't go with dieting...

Options
kyle4jem
kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
Oh the weird things you hear while staying at a hotel.

I was sitting outside on the terrace on my own yesterday evening, having a drink, reading a book and minding my own business. On the adjacent table a group of work colleagues were sat chatting and relaxing after a day on a work course.

There was this one plumpish lady in her 30s was talking to one of her colleagues: "Oh, I've got this medical condition where I have a layer of adipose fat under my skin. It's not like the fat you get from food that forms around your muscles that will become muscle when you exercise. This is fat that doesn't go away with dieting, because I've tried diets and exercising and the fat doesn't shift. ..."

Her colleague responds: "You'd think nowadays that they'd have some injection that they could give you to get rid of this fat."

The lady in her 30s continues: "You know the average length of time for diagnosis of this condition is 15yrs."

Oh, how I love eavesdropping and people watching :bigsmile:

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    love it!
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    speechless....lol
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    LOL:laugh:
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If that's what she wants to believe, pathetic :laugh:
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    "Oh, I've got this medical condition [...]"

Me too, it's called I-love-food-and-sleep-ness. It's a horrible, horrible thing.... :sick:
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    I...I can't...what is this...I don't even....HUH!?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

really an injection? where do i sign up :bigsmile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love how people have convinced themselves that they are special and unique snowflakes.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    LOL. Makes me think of Doctor Who "And the fat just walks away". The adipose look very cute in that
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    i love how people have convinced themselves that they are special and unique snowflakes.

It's the Government man! They're spraying us with chemicals and putting hormones in all our food and that's why I can't get rid of the man boobies! :grumble:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    How did you manage to keep a straight face?

It is sad though how many people are happy, almost proud, of having a label for a condition (correct or otherwise) so it becomes a burden they are so strong for living with rather than something they should work on to better themselves.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Don't know if I should laugh or cry!
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Snuffle snort choke :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Aw poor thing
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    "Oh, I've got this medical condition [...]"

Me too, it's called I-love-food-and-sleep-ness. It's a horrible, horrible thing.... :sick:

You have that too?? They should make a cream for that or something.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    What...wow. An actual person said that? LOL :tongue: The things people say
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Oh the weird things you hear while staying at a hotel.

I was sitting outside on the terrace on my own yesterday evening, having a drink, reading a book and minding my own business. On the adjacent table a group of work colleagues were sat chatting and relaxing after a day on a work course.

There was this one plumpish lady in her 30s was talking to one of her colleagues: "Oh, I've got this medical condition where I have a layer of adipose fat under my skin. It's not like the fat you get from food that forms around your muscles that will become muscle when you exercise. This is fat that doesn't go away with dieting, because I've tried diets and exercising and the fat doesn't shift. ..."

Her colleague responds: "You'd think nowadays that they'd have some injection that they could give you to get rid of this fat."

The lady in her 30s continues: "You know the average length of time for diagnosis of this condition is 15yrs."

Oh, how I love eavesdropping and people watching :bigsmile:

ROFLMAO. :laugh:
  • sazzyp1973
    sazzyp1973 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    that's hilarious! Thanks for sharing!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    If I were in that conversation, I'd be telling her straight: "Suck to be you. I guess you'll be fat the rest of your life."

I don't like to hear BS from other people.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It does exist, although maybe the woman wasn't referring to Lipedema and was just trying to justify her behaviours.