Women: How much do you lift?

Options
Curious (don't be shy!) how much other women lift at the gym?

Can you name 3 weighted exercises (moves?) you do and at what weight/reps?

Pretty please & thank you!

Replies

• AHatFullOfSky
    AHatFullOfSky Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new at the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and I'm just now hitting 75lb squats, 60lb bench presses, 60lb rows, 45lb overhead presses and 80lbs on deadlifts.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    I am wimpy wimpy wimpy and so I don't lift much that's heavy because I just can't, and I am trying to build lean muscle rather than builk. Everything I do, I do 4 sets of 20 reps. I do about 20lbs on tricep curls, 15lbs on bicep curls, 30lbs on leg extensions. I will try to add more weight when this gets too easy.
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options
    I haven't been following the traditional lifting programs (NRFWL or Stronglifts or what-have-you) but these are a couple of my recent lifts:

Bench Press - 110lbs
    Split Squats (one leg behind you on a bench so you are basically only squatting with one leg) - 120lbs
    One-Arm Preacher Curl - 30lbs

I move all over the board though. Like last week I did 4 sets of 5 reps and this week I have been doing 4 sets of 10 reps. So I can obviously do a much higher weight with 4 sets of 5 then 4 sets of 10. The numbers above are 4 of 5.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm following New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW), and here are 3 sample (recent) weights (at 6 reps each) for me:

dumbbell incline bench press: 50 lb. (2-25 lb. dumbbells)
    wide-grip lat-pulldowns: 100 lb.
    1-leg romanian deadlift: 55 lb. (2-27.5 lb. dumbbells)
    I am wimpy wimpy wimpy and so I don't lift much that's heavy because I just can't, and I am trying to build lean muscle rather than builk. Everything I do, I do 4 sets of 20 reps. I do about 20lbs on tricep curls, 15lbs on bicep curls, 30lbs on leg extensions. I will try to add more weight when this gets too easy.

You do know that lifting heavier weights for fewer reps won't bulk you up unless you eat a LOT more calories & protein to support it, and even then, women don't have enough testosterone to get bulky like men do, right?
  • MissMollieD
    MissMollieD Posts: 130
    Options

20 reps is kinda high, you should probably lower to 12-15 and you should barely be able to get that 15th rep with the weight you have it set on. If you do a light weight for high reps you will fatigue because you muscles will fill with lactic acid, not because you are actually tired from the exercise. Not to say there aren't exercises you can get benefit from 20 reps, but curls and tricep curls (not sure what those are) are not one of them being isolation moves. Dynamic movements like walking lunges, sure, do 20.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm following New Rules of Lifting for Women (NROLFW), and here are 3 sample (recent) weights (at 6 reps each) for me:

dumbbell incline bench press: 50 lb. (2-25 lb. dumbbells)
    wide-grip lat-pulldowns: 100 lb.
    1-leg romanian deadlift: 55 lb. (2-27.5 lb. dumbbells)

You do know that lifting heavier weights for fewer reps won't bulk you up unless you eat a LOT more calories & protein to support it, and even then, women don't have enough testosterone to get bulky like men do, right?

Yes, women do not have the testosterone necessary to support a lot of hypertrophy. I mean, just look at female power lifters. These are ladies who lift heavy weights for a living and they (at least the ones who don't juice) don't even get very bulky.

http://www.t-nation.com/img/photos/2011/11-701-02/female-deadlift.jpg

So I wouldn't worry too much about bulking up. Lifting heavy weights for low reps is the best exercise you can do. It burns more calories than any other kind of workout, increases your functional strength, increases your muscle stability, increases your bone density and will make you look awesome.
  • Kei801
    Kei801 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    3 sets of 8 reps:

regular bicep curl: about 33lbs each side
    lat pull downs: 70lbs
    leg press: about 400lbs

( i cant get exactly the weight in lbs cos here we measure it by kilograms)
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, but I know my body and am going to stick to my current ways of lifting. I get bulky muscle very easily--it is just how I am built. I know most women don't, and you will all probably argue with me, but when I swam competitively and lifted a lot I had visible, huge pec muscles. I don't really want to look like that. This way of lifting was recommended to me by someone who studied kinesiology, so I trust that he knows what he's talking about.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My last 5x5's:

Squat 145
    Bench 85
    Pendlay Row 90
    Overhead press 70
    Deadlift 155

I'm working on it.
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new at the Stronglifts 5x5 program, and I'm just now hitting 75lb squats, 60lb bench presses, 60lb rows, 45lb overhead presses and 80lbs on deadlifts.

We are almost identical!! I'm doing NRLFW so I'm not doing bench presses... but I'm doing 80lbs squats, 65lb rows and 80lbs deadlifts! Great job on the overhead presses... I do dumbbell shoulder presses and can just barely do 15lbs (per hand). I lost a lot of muscle in my upper body when I lost my weight and I can't wait to get that back!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Squats: 3x5x135
    Bench: 3x5x105
    Deadlifts: 1x5x170
    Overhead press: 3x5x70
    Pendlay: 3x5x85
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Since I am on a cut for LG, I have moved back from Stronglifts (which I love, btw, it was just too much strain with the squats) and am on a Reverse Pyramid Training Scheme, so I have not been increasing my weights as much as before and have restarted my squats due to injury :mad:

These are just the big 3 and a few supplements (all are barbell, unless otherwise noted)
    Deadlift - 145lb @ 6 reps
    Bench Press - 90 lb @ 8 reps
    Squat - 85 lb @ 8 reps

Supplements:
    RDL - 115lb @ 8 reps
    Hip Thrust - 115lb @ 8
    Pendlay Rows - 75lb @ 5
    OHP - 55lb @ 8 (been stuck here for a while :grumble: )
    DB seated OH press - 25lb @ 7 reps
    Farmer Carries - 50lb dumbbells about 12 ft
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Nothing too impressive here:

Deadlifts: 70#, 2 sets of 12
    Squats: 75#, 2 sets of 12
    Shoulder dumbell press: 20# each arm, set of 12 set of 9
    Weighted Lunges: 50#, 2 sets of 12 (I could do more with my legs, but I can't hold more with my hands lol)
    Seated row: 135#, 2 sets of 12
    Lat pulldown: 140#, 2 sets of 12
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts 100#
    Squats 135#
    Seated row 90#
  • BrendarB
    BrendarB Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    backsquat 1 rep max 255# or 3rep max at 205#
    Floor press 1 rep max 165#
    Press 1 rep max 95#
    push press 1 rep max 155#
    clean 1 rep max 125#
    snatch 1 rep max 90# (my form sucks - still working on this)
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    All 5x5
    Deads 55kg - 121lbs
    Squats 35kg - 77lbs
    Bench 22.5kg - 49lbs
    OHPress 20kg -44lbs
  • melainemelaine
    melainemelaine Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting since February, started with NROL4W and then swapped to stronglifts 5x5 on the 19.06. - so about 6 weeks now

Barbell squats today 57.5kg 5x5 - gonna up to 60kg ( that's a 132 pounds :D )
    DL 60kg 1x5
    OHP 30kg 55,4,3,2 - still working on that weight
    BP 35kg 5,5,5,4,3 - still working on that weight
    rows 35kg 5x5 - think i repeat this one as it was really tough

I aim for 75kg squats and 100kg deadlifts - then I will set new goals

I :heart: lifting!
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Leg press- 220
    Standing Calf Raises (smith machine and toes on box)- 130
    Leg extension- 85
    Squats- 100
    Dumbell Lunges- 60 (legs can def. do more but my child sized hands couldn't hold the weight the whole time.)

>Leg day is my favorite, makes me feel like a bada&$. Specially when a guy sits down at the leg press after me and has to lower the weight :tongue:

....Arms are still getting there. I've always just had muscular legs/quads.