why waste calories on protein powder?

Options

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    The brand I use and quite like is Weider's Daily Protein and Fibre Powder (Chocolate flavour, naturally - WHY NOT?!) and it's sweetened with Stevia. quite good on the cals and carbs too. only like 100 cals per scoop, 13 g carbs and 14g protein. not bad at all! and really...it gives me that sweet, chocolate kick

Interesting. I am glad they are starting to use Stevia. Maybe I'll try it. I like chocolate. LOL
  • deucesarewild1
    deucesarewild1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I wish more people would list the brands they use that are SO delicious! I really want to use protein powder, but so far haven't found one I like very well.

Dymatize rich chocolate with 3/4 cup of water, 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter and ice.

I hear the fudge one is good too, will try it next!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    The brand I use and quite like is Weider's Daily Protein and Fibre Powder (Chocolate flavour, naturally - WHY NOT?!) and it's sweetened with Stevia. quite good on the cals and carbs too. only like 100 cals per scoop, 13 g carbs and 14g protein. not bad at all! and really...it gives me that sweet, chocolate kick
    protein powder with FIBER?? I need to check into that.
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love my protein shake. It's not a waste for me. Sometimes I don't want to eat, but need to feed myself especially after training hard. Protein shakes are perfect for that. I use BSN Syntha-6 Protein Powder in chocolate milkshake. I mix with either almond milk or coconut water.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm currently looking into what protein powder is suitable for me... as a vegan (so no eggsmilk/meat) and as someone who's severely allergic to almost every nut out there, sometimes it's hard to get enough protein.
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sigh......this thread again.

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options

What if to hit my macros i want protein without the Fat or carbs that would come with the other foods you mentioned? What of I need another 30 grams protein that day and can't stomach another chicken breast?

My protein shake tastes amazing Because I buy a quality product, shop more wisely!!

Why would a protein shake be wasted calories and milk not a waste....whey is made from milk?

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    protein powder with FIBER?? I need to check into that.

Buy psyllium husk/powdered and add to Your drink if You want fiber.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I couldn't meet my protein macros for the day without it so for me it isn't wasted calories. I can understand how someone might think as the OP does but it is tough to get the 20g of protein I get from a scoop of the protein powder I use without eating more meat etc and I feel like I already eat too much meat. The 2 scoops (40g) I use in water in the morning helps me meet my macros and allows me to focus a little less on protein throughout the rest of the day. Use to do it with milk but that IS wasted calories IMO :smile:
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    There is definitely not as much protein in a handful of nuts or an egg as there is in protein powder.

Some people are allergic to nuts. Some people don't eat eggs. Some people don't drink milk. And I know it's hard to believe, but some people out there don't even eat meat! So for these folks, myself included, protein powder is not a waste of calories. 24g of protein for 120 calories is a pretty damn good deal in my world.

yup, what she said. i dont drink milk, or eat meat. so i really can use the protien. and my vanilla cream protein powder tastes amazing btw.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I eat what I want, you eat what you want. Mind your biz and I'll mind mine. Seems pretty stinking simple.
    Couldn't agree more, why do people worry so much about what everyone else is doing?
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I couldn't meet my protein macros for the day without it so for me it isn't wasted calories. I can understand how someone might think as the OP does but it is tough to get the 20g of protein I get from a scoop of the protein powder I use without eating more meat etc and I feel like I already eat too much meat. The 2 scoops (40g) I use in water in the morning helps me meet my macros and allows me to focus a little less on protein throughout the rest of the day. Use to do it with milk but that IS wasted calories IMO :smile:

This. I eat meat, but not nearly enough to get me all the protein I need.
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    There is definitely not as much protein in a handful of nuts or an egg as there is in protein powder.

Some people are allergic to nuts. Some people don't eat eggs. Some people don't drink milk. And I know it's hard to believe, but some people out there don't even eat meat! So for these folks, myself included, protein powder is not a waste of calories. 24g of protein for 120 calories is a pretty damn good deal in my world.

^^^ This. It's the easiest, most effective way for me to get in my protein and I have found that if I shop around (and sometimes I have to spend more, too), I can find a better tasting product and better variety. Try looking at GNC or online for more options and you might find some protein powders that you do like =)
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    Well the way you worded the question already indicates that you don't LIKE protein powder. So it seems to me that you don't even really want to know the answer. I mean I hate meat loaf, but I would never ask "Why would ANYONE ever eat meatloaf?" Number one, I don't even really care about the answer to that. Number two, because there are more people in the world than me, and I know people can like what they want to like and that doesn't concern me lol.

But I'm sure people who do like protein powder use it partly because they like it and partly because it has benefits. You don't have to waste your calories on it, but to someone who enjoys it, it is not a waste of calories.

I don't drink them all the time but I LOVE the taste of protein shakes! :wink:
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    It also absorbs into your body more quickly than digesting an egg etc which is good straight after a workout. The nutrients, and protein, in food take much longer and only get absorbed whilst digesting.
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm currently looking into what protein powder is suitable for me... as a vegan (so no eggsmilk/meat) and as someone who's severely allergic to almost every nut out there, sometimes it's hard to get enough protein.

Vegan protein powders are usually made from Soy, Pea, Hemp, Rice, Cranberry, Avocado, ect. If you look at the health food stores the containers will clearly be labeled Vegan, but it still doesn't hurt to check the ingredient list to make sure.
  • krystyleee
    krystyleee Posts: 219
    Options
    To each their own. I eat what I want, you eat what you want. Mind your biz and I'll mind mine. Seems pretty stinking simple.
    Couldn't agree more, why do people worry so much about what everyone else is doing?

^^^
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Natural 100% Whey Protein in Chocolate flavor. Its not cheap but it is delicious. Its 130 calories, 24g of protein, 5g of carb and 1g of fat.

I had this, liked that it's sweetened with stevia instead of aspartame. hated the aftertaste. they could have used half the stevia that they put in.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I have a lot of people on my friend list with higher protein goals. Shakes are a simple, affordable, quick way to get the protein they need into their diet. If you're trying to eat a lot of protein, huge amounts of lean protein like chicken, fish and steak are very expensive and actually really tiresome to eat.

Personally, my protein goal is 15-20% of my calories, and I have no problem meeting that goal through regular food, so I would not consider drinking protein shakes.
  • Najay
    Najay Posts: 273 Member
    Options

AGREED