Bite me, Couch to 5K - Week 3!

Options
desweds
desweds Posts: 126 Member
edited April 2022 in Success Stories
“Ding! Begin Walking”

The lady voice of Week 3, Day 1 of Couch to 5k wasn't reassuring as she commanded my 5-minute warm-up walk. I know what this day meant. I’d already looked ahead to what she was going to ask me to do today: FOUR THREE-MINUTE RUNS!?!?!?! ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

For the record, two weeks ago I couldn't run half a block. Granted, by last week lady voice got me up to two-minute runs – which impressed the CRAP out of me – but now THREE MINUTES? My excuses-per-second generator speeds up as the first of the three-minute runs approach:
I’m 53! I'm morbidly obese! My joints hurt! I have a hiatal hernia! I'm diabetic!

“Ding! RUN!”

OK, you stupid smartphone app, I’ll run. Here I go. 13-minute pace. Slow. Who cares? I’m moving and that’s good enough. My feet go: plop, plop, plop. The cruel, uncaring app counts down the three-minute run:

“Ding! One Minute!”

WTF? That’s only one minute? I’ll never make three minutes. I’m dying here! I can’t get enough air! My heart rate is too high! Ouch, I stepped on a pebble! How the hell am I supposed to…Oh, look! A pretty girl…

“Ding! Two Minutes!”

My android phone must be powerful as it is clearly warping the space-time continuum cuz’ there is NO GOD DAMN WAY I've only been running for 120 seconds. But it’s OK as I know sweet death will soon wrap itself around me, my corpse left on the side of the street. Woodland creatures will walk by and quietly mourn me. I will be at peace. My head is spinning. Yet my feet are moving… time is lost on me…
COME TAKE ME BROTHER DEATH! INTO THY HANDS…

“Ding! Walk!”

Was...that…a ding I heard? Does that mean…I DID IT? I did! I ran for three minutes. Nee Ner Nee Ner! I’m walking now, breathing hard with hands on my hips. Recovering.

Meh. That was easy. Only three more of those? No problem.

Go away Brother Death. Mr. Healthy does not need you now!

Replies

• agal129
    agal129 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    way to go!
  • nicnoc1981
    Options
    Love this, you may have even inspired me to download the app :) so well written and well done on your first 3 minute runs (I can't even do 1)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Great job for getting through!
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the laugh!! Good for you for staying with it!! One more win for Mr. Healthy!!
  • nogutsnoglory7
    nogutsnoglory7 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is the best thing I've heard all day :) WAY TO GO!!! >:)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Love it! Every week is an accomplishment. Every week, your body does things you never thought possible. Way to go!
  • keshabbaker
    keshabbaker Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    way to go congratulations! You are not the weakest link!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    That was hilarious...Well done (on the writing and your achievement.)

Just wait till you get to Week 5...
    +1. Can't wait to hear your story about the first 20 min run ;)
    Congrats, by the way, - you did great!
  • Palmetto0208
    Palmetto0208 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Love this so much! I'm redoing C25K for the zillionth time (laziness, Southern summer, pregnancy, etc.) and I know exactly how you feel, and will be feeling exactly like it in two weeks.
    Excellent work!
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Love it! Great post and keep going strong on the C25K. You can do it! I completed this a couple months back and I never thought I would be able to do it. I just listened to the lady on the app (which on some days I liked and some days I hated!!) and kept going forward. My husband just finished the program last week as well. Poor husband though... he had two female voices telling him what to do during his runs!!! (me and the app) >:)
  • sarahharas5
    sarahharas5 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    That was hilarious because I can totally relate.
    What makes us listen to that silly lady?!
  • michproca
    michproca Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That was so funny! I'm doing this program too and last night I told my kids that the best part about running is being done! They are too young and energetic to get it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Love it!

Stay at it, it only gets easier and really helped me get the weight off. The closer you get to your proper weight the easier it gets. You will know you have this when you start to seek out hills. Good luck.
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Awesome! The killer one for me is when I suddenly had to do 20 minutes, non-stop... it seemed like an enormous jump!
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    haha! This was completely awesome! Bravo! I did not know there was an App!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!