55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• dsmith1358
    dsmith1358 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    So glad to have found this group. I'm 10 yrs post menopause and have gained considerable weight over the years. To hear of other post menopausal women who've experienced success gives me hope. I have so many other menopause symptoms that it's overwhelming and often feel my weight is out of my control. It is encouraging to hear of women who've had success.
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sore feet. I wonder how many have the same problem. I have been told to massage my feet often which I now do. I just wonder if this complaint will follow me to the grave
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Welcome @dsmith1358 ! Lots of great ladies here! @marjtrewin, do you run? Or maybe some other kind of exercise where you are tough on your feet? Sometimes when I run, my feet get a little mad at me. Other times, it happens when I "run" during exercise videos on the stupid concrete floor in my garage. I just take off my shoes and put my (happy) feet up! Seems to help.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    Sore feet. I wonder how many have the same problem. I have been told to massage my feet often which I now do. I just wonder if this complaint will follow me to the grave

I have a touch of post-chemotherapy neuropathy that can cause sore feet if I'm fatigued in general, or have spent an unusually long time on my feet. It's much improved since weight loss, but can still flare a bit occasionally. The hot/vibration food bath thingie helps a little, or one of those bumpy massage balls.
  • NewMEEE2016
    NewMEEE2016 Posts: 192 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    NewMEEE, You said you ate abt 110 grams of protein a day, meant to ask what you ate. I'm trying to up my protein but am struggling to get it done. Many thanks. B)

I finally found some "go to" proteins that are really simple:
    1. Trader Joe's Wild Pink Alaskan Salmon (the whole can= 180 cals & 39g protein)
    2. Trader Joes Simply Sliced Turkey: 3 oz= 100 cals/22g protein (contains only: Turkey breast, water, spices- nothing artificial, no preservatives)
    3. Organic Whole Milk cottage cheese (YUM!!! Nothing like that watered down skim garbage)
    4. FISH- my favorite is Fresh Tilapia (I get mine frozen at whole foods)- only takes a couple minutes to steam w/veggies- takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it with. I just put a Tbs of soy sauce & some ginger- OR a little lemon juice. An average fillet is about 25g or protein and less than 150 cals.

The following are nice sources of protein, but not nearly as good a calorie:protein "bargain" as the above:
    Eggs are excellent nutritionally (80 cals each, 6 grams protein). I get the PASTURED eggs (cost a fortune- but reportedly have a lot more omega 3's). I also drink whole milk & LOVE Dahlicious brand "Lassie"- an Indian yogurt smoothie kinda thing. I get their plain flavor, or mango b/c they contain no sugar or other sweeteners (they also have a banana flavor but it isn't available in my area). I think it's about 9 grams of protein per cup (160 cals).

I **DO NOT** do protein powders, bars etc as I steer clear of processed foods.

Hope this helps!
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    NewMEEE, You were probably under eating. a lot of folks don't realize that under eating will not help you lose weight, but eventually messes with your metabolism and actually makes it harder to lose weight. MPF recommends eating no less than 1200 cals a day (I have fallen below that, but don't make a habit of it). I'm 5'3," 65 years old and weight abt 116/117 (which is fine) and I eat close to 1400 cals a day. I lift weights three days a week and do a good cardio walk another three - four days a week. You're right abt the REAL food; it is so much better for you. We ditched the powdered creamer and now use REGULAR half & half (non-fat's second ingredient is corn syrup (sugar); why?) and use frozen veggies (vs. canned) because they keep longer than fresh. Good luck on your journey! B)

Thank you so much for the validation. I get a lot of people who don't believe me. Have you ever had your resting metabolic rate tested? It seems that your maintenance cals should be *far* more than 1400?
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    NewMEEE, Many thanks for the protein info. And no I have never had my metabolic rate tested; probably should, but not sure who would do one. Still not lifting as heavy as I want in the gym just yet; broke my wrist back in Dec and don't want to re-injure anything so I'm slowly adding back the weight (I was doing 6 reps & 3 sets of BB curls with a 30 lb BB when I fell & broke it). I was out of commission for over 3 months (not fun), so lost some of my gains and some muscle mass. I'm trying to adjust my maint cals on my own by watching my weight and slowly adding cals. I want to try to recomp; don't need to lose any more weight, but would like to build as much muscle back as possible and reduce body fat some. I don't want to be too "skinny" as I don't think it looks good on older women. Take care and have a great weekend! B)
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    NewMEEE, Many thanks for the protein info. And no I have never had my metabolic rate tested; probably should, but not sure who would do one. Still not lifting as heavy as I want in the gym just yet; broke my wrist back in Dec and don't want to re-injure anything so I'm slowly adding back the weight (I was doing 6 reps & 3 sets of BB curls with a 30 lb BB when I fell & broke it). I was out of commission for over 3 months (not fun), so lost some of my gains and some muscle mass. I'm trying to adjust my maint cals on my own by watching my weight and slowly adding cals. I want to try to recomp; don't need to lose any more weight, but would like to build as much muscle back as possible and reduce body fat some. I don't want to be too "skinny" as I don't think it looks good on older women. Take care and have a great weekend! B)

Completely agree. Too skinny is not a good look on women in our age group imho. A little extra plumpness in the face takes a few years off. The problem is keeping it ON our faces and OFF our tummies- weight lifting I think is key. I'm still searching for a program/trainer. Dietitians & nutritionists do metabolic testing. Some dr's offices, too.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options

Completely agree. Too skinny is not a good look on women in our age group imho. A little extra plumpness in the face takes a few years off. The problem is keeping it ON our faces and OFF our tummies- weight lifting I think is key. I'm still searching for a program/trainer. Dietitians & nutritionists do metabolic testing. Some dr's offices, too.

My doctor actually told me that she prefers her older patients to be at the upper end of the BMI range or even on the lower end of the over weight range. One illness can be tough to come back from if we lose a little too much weight during it. I'm not sure I agree but that's what she told me.

I've found that even at 66 with about a year and a half of weight lifting behind me that the benefits are huge at this age. Strength, mobility, flexibility, improved bone density.....and a little body transformation never hurt anyone!

If you have the opportunity to hire a trainer, even if it's only for a short time, it's well worth the expense and effort in my opinion.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    NewMeee, you might want to try finding a locally-owned gym (rather than a chain). They are usually a little more user-friendly and the owner is usually a trainer or has one on staff. I go to one that is about seven miles from the house, they have yearly memberships and month to month options for those over 50. If you need guidance they are more than willing to assist you @ no extra charge (like some of the chains). Do a Google search for gyms in your area and check them out. Good luck. B)
  • mheenan230
    mheenan230 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    Oops!! Went away for 4 days - came back 2kg heavier. A lesson learnt. We don't have to eat every biscuit and sweet in sight. Get a bit annoyed at myself as at 63 I'd like to think I was sensible and able to say enough. MFP helps to get back on track. At least we understand and can share similar shortcomings. Have lost 15g so far

You are just what I needed tonight...away for the weekend and I have eaten everything in sight...have lost about 12 lbs with 20 more to go. Would you be interested in friending me
  • Lisa_Ookoo
    Lisa_Ookoo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm 57, always been active and had a normal BMI. Last year I gained some weight after an illness and decided I would lose those pounds and a few more. I dropped down to 121 lbs (I'm 5'6"). Now my husband complains that I'm too skinny. My face looks 10 years older. I'm trying to gain weight while lifting. I eat at least 2100 calories a day plus my exercise calories, but I've only gained one pound.
  • godlikepoetyes
    godlikepoetyes Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    See my posts under success stories--godlikepoetyes I am 51, had a hyster in 2014. Have fibromyalgia, osteoarthritis, IBS. I've lost 89 and I'm still losing. I think I will be able to maintain when I'm finish. I HOPE.
  • NewMEEE2016
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »

My doctor actually told me that she prefers her older patients to be at the upper end of the BMI range or even on the lower end of the over weight range. One illness can be tough to come back from if we lose a little too much weight during it. I'm not sure I agree but that's what she told me.

I've found that even at 66 with about a year and a half of weight lifting behind me that the benefits are huge at this age. Strength, mobility, flexibility, improved bone density.....and a little body transformation never hurt anyone!

If you have the opportunity to hire a trainer, even if it's only for a short time, it's well worth the expense and effort in my opinion.

@luluinca I am in AWE of your triceps!! At age 66???? Inspiring!!!
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi, I turned 57 this month. I am 5'1" and desire to lose 50+ lbs. In 2000 I wore size 8, in 2005 size 12, in 2010 size 2, now I wear size 14. My main goal is to get back to a healthier weight. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in March and am still experiencing stabbing pains which my dr said is normal and can happen up to a year. I am starting to watch what I eat, plan my meals and even pre-log them so I know what I will eat and know my macros. I am easing back into exercise, mostly riding my bike or walking, but plan to get back started with weights this week. I love weight training.
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    @SugarDarlin1959 - your journey sounds very similar to mine. My weight has bounced around over the years too. I have been regularly attending Jazzercise and strength training with weights since January of this year and absolutely love it! Because if some issues with RA and osteopenia, I am trying to increase my bone density, muscle mass and keep my joints moving. I would love to be your friend so that we can provide support for each other. I am still needing to lose about 36#.
  • Akgramma
    Options
    @luluinca - I agree with @NewMEEE2016 - your biceps are amazing and inspirational!!
  • Akgramma
    Options
    @godlikepoetyes - 89# - WOW! Great job!!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal of losing 40 pounds more than 3 years ago and just finished my 1400 day of logging every single meal. I'm back to my slim, healthy college weight. I'm 57 now and feel much better having lost the weight. Sadly, my students (I'm a professor) and others treat me much better - more respect, more attention - than they have for years. And they think I'm much younger. Because I'm 5'10", the weight always sat well on me, so this surprised me.

I've recommitted to hitting my daily steps every day - I've always hit my calories. And you're right about post-menopause - I've had to drop my calories to keep maintaining.

I love having lost weight and am happy with what I see every time I look in the mirror.

• Akgramma
    Options
    @nxd10 - Congrats! Did you follow the calorie and nutrient recommendations by MFP or calculate your own percentages?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!