55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I'll be 60 in September and have been dieting since November 2015. I have dropped 26 pounds. For me yes it is slow and I'm trying to stay around 1200 calories a day because I am quite sedentary. Menopause is coming and going but mostly going now. I find I lose about a pound a week and I don't go to the gym. I try to walk daily and my Vivofit is set for 7000 steps a day. Some days I make it and some days I don't. I feel much better and my blood sugar has dropped dramatically. I started at 232 pounds so at 206 I feel like I'm skinny, lol. Long ways to go but it can be done and it isn't miserable. Food has become more of an adventure for me. I gave up the sugar for the most part and that was the biggest help. I was a sugar addict so not eating candy, cake etc was a big change. I still use a bit of barbeque sauce now and again but I don't eat things that have lots of sugar like I used to. My tastes are changing slowly. Good Luck! It can be done and it can be livable too. Next year I hope to be at goal. But in the meantime I am getting smaller and healthier so I don't mind the journey at all.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Wow, what an inspiration @KarenGa4! Excellent news and great job. Ditto what @trina1049 said.
  • baharal
    baharal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    jayrow473, I have very low energy due to cancer tx last year, I just bought a pedal exerciser, you sit on a chair and pedal you can also put it in the table and pedal your arms for upper body, it was just $29, I still need to put it together but it's a start, try one minute a day or every other day.

KarenGa4, you are doing terrific, I can't wait to get off my meds but I think it may be awhile.

I started this by cutting out food that was prepackaged, when I was really hungry I made a chocolate protein shake with a banana and a tbl of peanut butter, it filled me up and I felt like I had treat. For lunch a big salad with a variety of vegetables, red/yellow/orange bell peppers are tasty, cukes, yellow / green zucchini, change it up for variety. Good quality olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The salad filled me up as well, no tomatoes, I can't handle the acidity. Sometimes I cut an apple and put it in there for crunch. And can't forget the avocado! Olive oil and avocado's are good sources of fat. I found that blueberries/blackberries/raspberries are good sources for fiber. I eat shredded wheat for breakfast and might have one more piece of bread. I love carbs but cut way back. I lost 35 lbs since November and am now at a standstill because I'm not making my big salads and get tempted by other foods. This is a learning process and lifestyle change.

We can all do this, it starts with getting our heads on straight. :smile:
  • lonelywombat
    lonelywombat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm 67 and new to the group. I'm morbidly obese with at least 200 pounds to lose and I'm scared to death about my health. I haven't been close to normal weight since the mid 1990s. I'm retired and have been feeling really lonely and have lost the ability to get out and about to meet people. I would love to hear from people who are older and have lost or need to lose a great deal of weight.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Lonely Wombat:: WELCOME!! How did you lose the ability to get out and about? That is the first ? I have. Secondly, you will see on this message board that we all take it one day at a time. Don't be scared. Anxiety lessens with a plan and a goal. Start small. Big grandiose plans often fail. What is one thing that you are comfortable changing? Hang in with us here. This is an awesome and supportive group. If you can't get support outside then we are here.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Elated is right; and you're all very WELCOME here!! Small changes (that you can live with) over time is the way to go. I only had a few lbs to lose and had trouble losing it (followed all kinds of diets). I finally gave up trying to follow someone else's diet, created one I could live with (and I like the food on it). Weaned myself from a lot of overly processed food (if you cook something, it's processed) and cut back on sugar (added/natural). You need to do what works for you (not someone else)--if you hate broccoli, why try to eat it??? It may take some experimentation (and some falling off the wagon), but you can do it!! You only fail if you quit! P.S. I still eat a small handfull of dark chocolate chips after dinner and haven't gained anything back. Look forward to seeing your posts here and good luck!! B)
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! This thread is up to 45 pages since the OP posted it back in January of 2015. The OP has left the building but we're still here posting so I was wondering if anyone would like to update their status since their original post appeared on this thread?

I haven't commented much lately but continue reading and keeping up with the thread. I'll start the update by saying that I've lost 51-53 lbs total (fluctuations) and I'm in maintenance now, holding steady. I'm still tracking and weighing in every day. How's everyone else doing?
  • Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have lost a total of 96.5 pounds so far. I still need to lose another 135 more. I'm trying to lose enough weight that my surgeon will do my hip replacement surgery. I will, of course, continue with my eating plan regardless so I can get to a healthy weight. I'm 65 years old and I'm 5' 4.5" tall. I hope everyone else is doing well.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    We r the same age!!! I need to lose 120 before they will do my knees. My doctor said at my age the only way to lose is threw surgery. You go girl!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Gayle the surgery is one way but not the only way! No doubt it's a journey with struggles BUT it can be done and has been done by many people and I know we can do it as well and in the future be included in the group.I am very new to mfp and I am not sure how to work it yet but I would like it if you could critique my daily entries but I am not sure how to do that.I think I am being honest with myself but there is always something that can be changed to help. Anyway I hope you are doing your daily entries as well.hope to hear from you soon.have a beautiful day.jayrow
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Gayle, agree w/jayrow!! It can be done w/o surgery; and more than likely produces better results--you end up w/better eating habits; and learning to add as much exercise as you can comfortably do. It may take longer, but it is well worth it; so do what you can and as much as you can. Try to cut back some on the white starchy carbs (white bread, potatoes, etc.) and sugar (added/natural). Make the changes gradual (you're more likely to stick to them) and eat foods you like. Keep us posted and good luck!! B)
  • kbs4725
    kbs4725 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All! this is my first time posting on MFP. Your stories are so inspiring! I'm 56, 5'4 and 139lbs and I've been using MFP for 10 months. Logging has become an obsession lol. I've only lost about 5 lbs and I'm feeling pretty frustrated. I'd like to lose another 10 (preferably all around the belly:) I've been doing yoga 2-3 times a week and periodic pilates classes 1 a week. Based on the posts I've read, it doesn't seem like I am getting enough exercise?? I just got a bike, hopefully that will help! If anyone has similar goals, let me know, what tips you have for success!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    @kbs4725, IME it's more about eating than exercise. Calories in less than calories out, meticulous logging, food weighing, and consistency are your allies.

I've been quite active for a dozen years, while staying fat - spin classes twice a week, on-water rowing 4-6 times a week in summer, regular machine rowing in winter, and more. Only when I started modifying my eating did I start losing weight.

I'll use this opportunity for a bit of an update/recap, since @trina1049 asked: I'm 5'5", 60 y/o, hypothyroid (well controlled with meds). I started changing my eating habits during April 2015 at a SW of 183, joined MFP in July, and now weigh about 120 plus/minus 2. I'm trying to zero in on my maintenance calorie level now and hold around this weight.

I've weight-trained in the past, and am working on adding that back in (along with increased core work: planks, bridges, exercise ball stuff, etc.), but I've had to take a couple of breaks from that to deal with some minor musculoskeletal issues. On a break from weight training now (though still spinning/rowing), but back at it soon! One thing I'm working on, now that I'm lighter, is chin-ups. I did manage *one* once! ;)

My knees (arthritis, torn left meniscus) are greatly improved since the weight loss, very infrequent discomfort now, compared to daily when I was fat.

In November 2015, my cholesterol was 176 (vs. 230 in December 2014, and that wasn't my highest ever!), triglycerides 82 (vs. 193). My blood pressure's gone from borderline/high to solidly normal.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    OK, @trina1049 and @AnnPT77 and all us 55+ ladies. I started here October 2014 at 187#. My high weight was 190 in August, same year. My doctor told me about MFP (thanks Dr. H, wherever you are!). CICO has been what works for me. Exercise has become a huge part of my life. I love running. What? Way back in the olden days, I hated running! I don't know what changed...it has become "my time." Oh, yeah, I am on maintenance, in fact working to get back to normal weight. I'm 57 yrs. old and 5'7".
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Oh, for goodness' sake. Dang MFP!!! Here goes again...In the spirit of @trina1049 and @AnnPT77, I started here October 2014 at the suggestion of my doctor. At that time, I weighed in at 187#. I am now at 114# (a couple pounds underweight, but working on that!). CICO is the big winner for me. I love to exercise - I hop onto the elliptical most days, run or walk every day and bop around the house to jessicasmithtv rather often as well. Find your passion and everything will fall into place!!!
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to friend me is welcome. I like to know who's knocking, so just drop a note to say where you saw me. If there's something in particular that strikes you, I'm always up for learning what I've done or said right. :)

baharal - sorry that 1derland felt anticlimactic. 31 lbs is great! Given an eastern pound of butter 2.5" high, that'd be a stack 6 1/2 feet high.

californiagirl - yup. it took me until my 60s to finally feel that I've got this weight thing beaten, and can maintain without feeling obsessive.

Nana - another great shedding. Your mid-march fat stack would be about 5.8 feet high. And very cool about your husband. :)

Wow, Roaringgael! Impressive as all get-out! Your butter stack is 32.8 feet high!

grshaadi - what do you want to learn? :) I find that logging every bite and sip is key for me.

chuckyjean - Wow. I'm in awe of your exercising.

shirinian - are you weighing and measuring everything? If you are, you might try relaxing your calorie limit, just to see what happens. (later) I see you broke the plateau! Huzza!

veggiecanner - Maybe you'll need to work up to maintenance more slowly, maybe 100 or 50 calories at a time? I didn't have any trouble with the increase to full maintenance, but we're all different.

phnxrth - Congrats on maintaining! I've also given myself a weight range - 140 to 145 lbs. Interestingly, the trend seems to be slowly downward at maintenance calories. If I find myself at 135-40 for a couple weeks, I may give myself more than 1510 to play with. :)

Eleted - I'm maintaining. Mostly walking, and not a whole lot at that, but my hips are down an inch and the size 12 jeans that were tight a couple months ago now have a 2" overlap, or would if I had a button 2" to the right of where it is.

AKgramma - have you tried high intensity interval training? Me neither, but I've heard great things about it. :)

Cobourg - Try logging as you eat and drink during the weekend, rather than waiting. Maybe even log before you start drinking that glass of wine or eating that piece of cake. Don't let your eating and drinking be mindless: pay attention and savor the tastes and textures, rather than just eating and talking.
    This isn't being mean to yourself. Don't beat yourself up. But make yourself pay attention to yourself when you need it most.

jayrow - Since you can walk longer than you could two months ago, you're doing well! Congratulations!
    Have you considered an activity tracker? It can help with goals - say, working for an increase of 10 steps a day, or 20, or 50, or 100. Even without, you can look to increase the number of laps from your bedroom to the door and back each day or each week.
    You might ask your doctor about what other sorts of exercise might be possible and useful. Perhaps you could do wall push-ups. See the first exercise here: http://www.papafit.com/easy-exercises.html
    If you're nervous about that big an angle, don't go all the way to the wall to start with. Or start with your feet closer to the wall. But I'd ask the doc first, and maybe see if he or she has some pointers.
    Here are some others to ask about:
    http://breakingmuscle.com/bodyweight/simple-and-effective-strength-the-perfect-beginner-workout
    This is gonna sound weird, but I've come to like eating frozen veg while they're still friz. It makes me eat more slowly, and pulling a 12-oz bag from the freezer is less work than making a big salad. :)
    Scales and measuring cups are the best way to be sure you're being honest with yourself. I keep a scale at work and even have a folding model that lives in my pocketbook and can come out in restaurants.

Wow, Karen in Ga! You're really doing well! Your stack of butter is 17 1/2 feet high! Keep it up and you'll keep going down!

Cheryl Dumais - congratulations! You might want to check out recipes for no-sugar bbq sauce -- there's quite a bit of sugar in the commercial stuff, and in commercial ketchup.

lonelywombat - welcome! To start, try just cutting out all white carbs (eat whole grain breads, pasta &c) and paying attention to portion size. A doc's suggestion to cut out white carbs when I was getting too close to diabetes was like turning on a light for me. Its greatest effect was that I had to stop snacking on candy, ice cream and cake ... but for some reason, it didn't *feel* like dieting. Every time I'd tried to lose weight in the past, it felt obsessive and punitive. This time, it didn't. It was just a change. You can do it, too!

trina - I was on maintenance when I started, and still am. I'm interested to note that although MFP says I'm generally within my calorie limit, the Fitbit site says I'm eating more than maintenance ... and my general weight trend seems to be downward.
    Here's my 6-month graph.
    rucqr5d823yu.png
    That low November "plateau" was a vacation at my brother's house, without a scale. I was very pleased to get home and find myself just a half-pound above the 5-pound range I'd set.
    I've gone way down on asthma meds, and while I'm at the same dosage on bp meds, the bp is much better controlled.

Cheryl177777 - way to go! You'd need a tall ladder to build that 20-foot-high stack of butter pounds.

Gayle - I'll be 64 on Sunday. It's a fight, and I got no beef about people who choose the surgery route. But, as jayrow said, it's not the only way.

kbs4725 - the last 10 to 20 pounds are the hardest. If you're eyeballing rather than weighing and measuring, pull out the scale and measuring cups again. If you've read through all this, you've seen my whole-grain spiel. I've found my activiy tracker useful - helps keep me honest about my walking.

Ann - wow. Impressive! And very convincing reasoning.

mk2loser - very cool! I've never been a runner, even in my 125-lb, 5'-7.5" adolescence. But in the past few months I've found my 5'-6, 63-year-old self running places, just because I can.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Eleted, Understand, been watching the weather. Live in the South and so far it's been fairly nice (a few cool days), but we pay for it come summer (90 degrees + humidity). Doc let me start back at the gym (broke my right wrist in Dec and have been out since). Anyway, I'm 65 workout with weights (can't go heavy w/the right wrist just yet) and some cardio (mostly for heart health). Do what you can (especially the weights==good for your muscle and bone mass. Start out slow and increase your reps, sets, and weight as you get stronger and make sure you maintain good form (most important). There are several books out there (New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women, etc.), and all kinds of programs on line; so check it out and good luck. B)
    I've done the broken wrist thing! Took about three months to heal and get the rehab in. Mine required a plate once we tried just setting it. Hope you are doing better!
  • lilybeth62
    lilybeth62 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    cadownham wrote: »
    Hello, I have been on mfp for about 15 months, lost 34lbs but still have a long way to go.

Anyone is welcome to friend me but the following are MUSTS for me.
    1. You log onto mfp regularly
    2. You comment on post and not just use the like button.
    3. The support is two way and you give support to me in return for the support I give to you.

I do delete those that do not support and comment as I want to be a supportive friend on this journey.
    Good Luck to you all.

Congratulations on your loss
  • griffinca2
    Options
    swimm, Many thanks; it's better; just have trouble w/my fingers (they kinda "froze"). Had two months of Phys Ther.; they are better (though still have days). Friend said it can take six months to a year for everything to get back to "normal." Anyway, Rome wasn't built in a day and it could have been a lot worse (I've heard a few stories). Hope you have a great week. B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!