55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    veggiecanner, You might want to try what they call "reverse dieting." Basically you add back calories until you stop losing weight and your body reaches maintenance. That way your not adding a bunch of calories at one time and your body may react better. B)
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    krenwren wrote: »
    Oh for breakfast I have a piece of french toast, one chicken sausage and some maple syrup and balade light butter

How many calories?
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    shirinian1 wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I started doing more HIIT and dropped 2 pounds. I broke thru my plateau! Thanks again for your help.

Wonderful! Keep moving forward!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    swim777, who knows/cares as long as you only do it occasionally (if I want something like that I don't worry abt the cals)? I'm in maintenance and only use MFP to track how much I'm eating; don't need to lose any more weight, just want to re-gain back some muscle. As soon as the doc gives the OK, I'll be back in the gym lifting weights--although I basically have to start over again. B)
  • phnxrth
    phnxrth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted here in a while. I'm having a bit of a struggle, at nearly 59 dealing with what many of us do in terms of slowing metabolism. If I want to lose any weight at all it's 1200 calories a day. I am keeping it in a narrow range of 4 lbs. But I sure do miss the days when what I wanted to eat and what I burned up were in balance. I feel more compassion now toward overweight older folks.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    phnxrth, Try adding weight training; it will help you burn fat, increase your muscle mass (not like you were when you were 30, but...). Weight training will help to increase your metabolism and help maintain your bone mass to boot. Start out with light weights and make sure you maintain good form. (; increase your reps/sets/weight as you get stronger. There are lots of workout plans on the Internet and books (New Rules for Lifting for Women among others). B)
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Where is everyone? How are you all doing with your goals? What is everyone over 60 doing to stay fit? Those of us in the midwest are waiting for spring to show up. Snow and ice in April makes outdoor activities difficult but it looks like this week may be a turning point. Come on sunshine!!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Eleted, Understand, been watching the weather. Live in the South and so far it's been fairly nice (a few cool days), but we pay for it come summer (90 degrees + humidity). Doc let me start back at the gym (broke my right wrist in Dec and have been out since). Anyway, I'm 65 workout with weights (can't go heavy w/the right wrist just yet) and some cardio (mostly for heart health). Do what you can (especially the weights==good for your muscle and bone mass. Start out slow and increase your reps, sets, and weight as you get stronger and make sure you maintain good form (most important). There are several books out there (New Rules for Weight Lifting for Women, etc.), and all kinds of programs on line; so check it out and good luck. B)
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi! I turned 61 this past March. I have been trying to stay at or below 1200 calories a day on MFP. I exercise at least 5 times a week and track all my food. Still finding it very difficult to lose weight. I would love to join your group. Also would love to have friends that I can offer encouragement and support as well as receive same - so please feel free to add me as your friend.
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I'm 51 and having a very hard time with this weight loss. I am going to the gym three times a week, attending school on-line and working full time. I do really well during the week but the weekends are brutal. Too much wine, too much food, etc. you get the picture. I am only 4'10" so am eating below 1200 per day during the week. I also have a thyroid disorder for real. Just really need encouragement.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Akgramma wrote: »
    Hi! I turned 61 this past March. I have been trying to stay at or below 1200 calories a day on MFP. I exercise at least 5 times a week and track all my food. Still finding it very difficult to lose weight. I would love to join your group. Also would love to have friends that I can offer encouragement and support as well as receive same - so please feel free to add me as your friend.

@Akgramma age changes all things. Below are some remarks on calories for senior adults. There are some Minimums that are required by most of us. Best of success.

health.gov/dietaryguidelines/dga2005/toolkit/olderadults/OAweight.htm
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Akgramma, You are more than welcome to join our group!! There could be several things slowing your weight loss; 1) you may want to check w/your doc to rule out any medical issues. That said, 2) you may not be eating enough to fuel your workouts; MFP recommends 1200 cals as a minimum amt of cals to eat and if you're working out 5 days a week you may not be eating enough and your body is holding on to the weight (MFP has an article called "Why Undereating Won’t Actually Help You Lose Weight" I think you can find it under their blog link. 3) You may be eating more sugar than you think (added and natural); check out how much you are eating and try cutting back a little. Good luck and let us know how it goes. B)
  • goodreadsgal
    goodreadsgal Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Just turned 60 with approx 100 pounds to lose. Would love to join this group.
  • jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi this is the first time I am leaving a message. I started on March 21 and doing ok. I go to my doctor on the 25th of April for weigh in.I feel like I might be the biggest person in the group and that's really hard but I have to start some where and I do need some one to talk to.I first weighed in at 443#s 2 years ago.I last weighed in at 357 &1/2#son the 21st so I am nervous about getting weighed on the 25th.I have been up and down all my adult baby making years and I am 65 years old . If I don't get this weigh off I don't think I will be around much longer, iam literally fighting for my life.I can't really do to much of any kind of exercise yet but I walk from my bedroom to the front of my house a few times a day and that's a big deal because two months ago I could not do that.my short term goal is to lose 10#s on the 25th a than I will set another goal but I would like to see 275 by september.iam just tired and need help. Got lots of stories and support to share.if there is anyone that can relate to my situation PLEASE ADD ME THANKS
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    jayrow473 wrote: »
    Hi this is the first time I am leaving a message. I started on March 21 and doing ok. I go to my doctor on the 25th of April for weigh in.I feel like I might be the biggest person in the group and that's really hard but I have to start some where and I do need some one to talk to.I first weighed in at 443#s 2 years ago.I last weighed in at 357 &1/2#son the 21st so I am nervous about getting weighed on the 25th.I have been up and down all my adult baby making years and I am 65 years old . If I don't get this weigh off I don't think I will be around much longer, iam literally fighting for my life.I can't really do to much of any kind of exercise yet but I walk from my bedroom to the front of my house a few times a day and that's a big deal because two months ago I could not do that.my short term goal is to lose 10#s on the 25th a than I will set another goal but I would like to see 275 by september.iam just tired and need help. Got lots of stories and support to share.if there is anyone that can relate to my situation PLEASE ADD ME THANKS

I'm with u, 65 have 120 to lose, need knees done, married 42 years. I need support too, let's walk the journey together! Gayle Minneapolis
  • jayrow473
    jayrow473 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey Gayle and yes its a journey and I have a long one but I have made up my mind to do this and it sounds like you have as well.I have been reading some of the stories and they are amazing and motivating.we can do this.HAVE YOU STARTED A PLAN OF ACTION YET?
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cobourg: I understand how the weekends can be challenging. Maybe you could sign up for a few 5 K charity walks this summer. Use the weekends to train and find new and interesting places to get out in nature and walk. Your busy schedule and lifestyle may be hindering your weight loss. Managing stress is key. What do you do to support yourself? Read these forums every day for motivation.

17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    jayrow473 wrote: »
    Hey Gayle and yes its a journey and I have a long one but I have made up my mind to do this and it sounds like you have as well.I have been reading some of the stories and they are amazing and motivating.we can do this.HAVE YOU STARTED A PLAN OF ACTION YET?

Healthy eating, tracking everyday, swimming. Love MFP, I get strength from these amazing people! I'm also on the 100+ pounds no surgery, another great group! We can n we are doing it! Gayle Minneapolis
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    @KarenGa4 you're doing great and look wonderful! Congratulations. You should post this in the Success Story threads!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!