55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm wondering if you can give me some positive vibes. I'm discouraged with myself and weight loss plateau (ie wanting to lose but going nowhere), but ready to start again tomorrow. I have a vision of what I would like to look like - and it's not what I looked like in my 30s, but it's definitely smaller than I am now. Thinner. I just feel that my metabolism is so super slow. I've had to watch my weight my whole life - but it's so much harder now. I used to be able to lose weight without being perfect -but I have to try even harder now. Argh

Any words of encouragement are welcome!! The onslaught of menopause happens so fast - and I dont' like it. I know I will adjust, but not sure how much to give in/up.
    Thanks

How's it going? I found eliminating white carbs a good way to start, even if its only real result was to cut out candy, chips and cake. Now that i'm on maintenance, I'm eating those again, just within daily calorie limits.

I'll be 64 in April, and over last 3 years went from 213 to 140-145. I've maintained in that range since November. If I can do it, so can you.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself, but my plan is to continue eating foods I like every day and so far that is exactly what I have done. ... I make sure it fits in my calories for the day. When I know I'm going to some event like the baby shower I attended last weekend, I pay closer attention to the rest of the food I eat that day so I don't have to pass up whatever I know they'll be serving. Sometimes I have to guess about calories in those cases, but it's doable and MFP makes it pretty easy. Make the commitment to yourself to log every bite every day. Pay attention to those serving sizes. Get a food scale and weigh the food you eat so you really know how much you are putting in your mouth. Once you start doing this every day, every meal, you will see what works and what you need to change a little. ... I can have one chocolate kiss instead of five...I'll savor that chocolate as long as I can, but I still get to have it. ;-) Hang in there and you will work it out. YOU ARE WORTH THE EFFORT!

Yes, yes, yes!

I even found - well, stumbled on and bought as an Amazon daily deal - a folding scale that fits into my pocketbook. So I can even weigh in restaurants.

In the last month or so, i've started to keep individually packaged good chocolates - say, ghirardelli squares, Lindt truffles, even some bars. I allow myself to use those for calories left at the end of the day, and take several bites to finish each one, letting each bite melt on my tongue.

They're in a box near the bed. And I'm the one with power, not the chocs.
  • JanetMMcC
    Options
    Well, poo. My muscleflex emojis didnt come thru.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Question for the (mostly) 45+ women; would you be interested in a women's fitness mag that periodically covered issues in our age group (i.e., slower metabolizism, some muscle loss due to starting weight lifting later in life (40s, 50s,60s instead of 20s & 30s, etc.). Let me know your thoughts. B)
  • Triplestep
    Triplestep Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in that magazine, as long as the photos were of women who were truly over 45 and all shapes and sizes. I don't care if the photos are airbrushed - I care that they represent diversity. (If you've ever suffered the indignity of shopping from a plus size catalog that uses regular models who are slim and young - where the clothing is clearly pinned in the back to make it look like they're not swimming in it - then you know what I'm talking about.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    Question for the (mostly) 45+ women; would you be interested in a women's fitness mag that periodically covered issues in our age group (i.e., slower metabolizism, some muscle loss due to starting weight lifting later in life (40s, 50s,60s instead of 20s & 30s, etc.). Let me know your thoughts. B)

I'm going to be a bit pointed here for the sake of clarity; I hope you won't be offended. Truly, it's not meant to be offensive . . . but sometimes my tendency to be very direct comes across poorly, I know.

I'd be interested in such a magazine if its orientation was to overcoming any real or perceived limitations, and accomplishing things. I wouldn't be even a tiny bit interested in anything with the faintest hint of "we can't really much accomplish things because we are older, have slower metabolisms, etc." There's plenty of the latter around the web (and probably in print if I paid attention) already.

I'm not saying I want to see only fake-y, carefully-managed, carefully-curated stories that pretend we're all elite-athlete fitness models, or look like 20-somethings - analogous to the kind of filtered silliness you get when people present a no-warts only-rainbows view of their lives on social media. Plenty of that around already, too.

Real people doing real things, challenging things (and I do mean challenging within whatever their circumstances are), downsides or limitations and all? That'd be excellent.
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    What they said.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    T, Haven't suffered that indignity, but I understand; I inherited hair that is right out of Frankenstein (when most have straight hair)--it's thick & course & doesn't really curl; it just kinks and frizzes all over the place (and my sister's hair is blonde & straight as a stick). And that is what you see advertised everywhere. I agree w/you, I get tired of seeing "perfect bodies" on all the mag covers. I want to live a normal life, go to the gym 3 days a week and eat normally; not eat day-in/out like they say to eat and work out 4-5 days a week (I have other things to do). B)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My feeling on the magazine question is that quite frankly I don't believe an occasional magazine article could give enough good, detailed information to be really useful to me. How many magazines do we see every day that are just quoting the latest short-term study that we later find out had only twelve participants and wasn't exactly scientific and yet it becomes the latest, greatest must do? Personally, I rather read a woodworking magazine that actually tells me how to build something start to finish.
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2:: Yes, I would be interested in that type of magazine. I find anything inspirational along this journey helps to keep me motivated. I take what positives I can gather from any form of health info and ignore the rest. We've all lived long enough to be able to put it all in perspective.
    But I think the positives would outweigh the negatives. I am motivated by you Griffin ca as well as Ann PT! When I hear what you guys are doing and accomplishing, it keeps me on track, just as a magazine with inspirational stories would do! We dont get to hear enough about strong women our age!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

I find all the inspiration I need on MFP. You need to find a group you fit into and some threads like this one that discuss the issues you care about. I also find all the success pics, even of younger people (I'm over 65) to be great motivators. Too many mags are airbrushed etc. I find MFP more authentic.

As for health info, I find the government websites for Canada, UK, AU, and USA to be full of great information. I especially like the other countries' research reports since those are funded by governments that pay the medical bills for all and not some company that has another pill they want to hawk. They have an interest in finding what cures illness, not just masking symptoms and lining big pharma pockets. And the drs. get profit from us not being cured as well. And please don't get me started on insurance companies.
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/giving-up-is-not-an-option-806795
    If you have not yet read David S Johndrow's blog entries, I suggest you do. The above is the address for today's entry. Since starting on MFP in January, I have gone back and read nearly all his posts and after doing so, I find it impossible to complain about being a little hungry now and then and quite frankly think me being a little hungry now and then is nothing compared to what he has gone through [with a great sense of humor] to be healthy. If you need inspiration, it's there.
  • baharal
    baharal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many - I read David S Johndrows most recent post. He has been through so much. I am going to start from the beginning of his blog too. And Nana aka Jody, I enjoy your posts and the many good posts from other folks on this site.

This is my second time with MFP. It's the only way I can lose weight successfully. I'm 63 and about 5'3" (I'm shrinking) and have lost 26 lbs in I don't know about 4 months. I'm not keeping track of how long it takes just that there is a loss. Someone posted something to the effect that we not so much older folks have more life experience and don't go for the gimmicks and are more practical about weight loss. It certainly is true for me as well. As long as the scale is going in the right direction I'm happy.

Keep up the good work and motivation everyone. There is great support on this website and it's great to see people from other countries posting too!
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    Baharal, I have found great support here with sensible ideas about getting healthy! Good luck! I am also in the 5'3-4" height range, depending on how optimistic I'm trying to be. ;-)
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Do3w7 wrote: »
    has anyone tried the every other day diet.

I didn't last 2 days -- too hard!
  • lyssa1210
    lyssa1210 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As you can see I can't figure out how to add on to a message or reply. Thanks for the support. I got back walking and doing yoga and weights again this week but the muscles are doing weird painful things ... Ill keep trying tho . Please add me --any one 45-65 -up in the middle -of the night -trying to sleep -people !!!
  • quietandmildspirit
    Options
    I am 49. At 40 I had back surgery. At 43 I had my uterus removed and at 45 I had over six feet of my large intestines removed. Abnormally long from birth and very twisted up. I also was premenopause during this time. I gained 25lbs and most of it was definitely fat and a lot of muscle was lost. I started mpf in January and have lost 8lbs. After back surgery it is difficult to do high impact exercise. So I just do an hour every morning on my bicycle. 8lbs may not seem like much but I'm sure with the exercise I am gaining muscle. I have already lost most of my tire around the waist. I'm 5'1 1/2 lbs my goal is to get back to 120 or less what I weighed before my operations and menopause. By a used stationary bike and enjoy reading or a movie while you get there. I already have less aches and feel so much better just taking control.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    quiet, You might want to add weight training to the mix. It will help w/the muscle loss; you can't get it all back , but you will be able to regain some. It will up your metabolism and help w/your weight loss (1 lb of muscle burns more fat than one 1 lb of fat (and takes up less space)). Good luck on your journey! B)
  • quietandmildspirit
    Options
    griffinca2 I forgot to say I do small 2lb weights for arms 3 or 4 times a week for my flabby arms. Also push-ups on leaning on my kitchen counter because it is easier on my back (set of 50) about four times a week. quietandmildspirit
  • Karren188
    Karren188 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all! I've been reading the encouraging replies on this thread and would love to be friends with any of you that are willing. I'm 56 and am post-menopausal. My doctor has really been after me to get some weight off since my cholesterol levels have risen a little. I am pretty busy and eat a lot on the run - I'm an HR professional, attending college part-time, married with two kids out of the home and two kids still at home, two grandchildren, 4 dogs (and a partridge in a pear tree) :) anyway --- I'm a positive person who believes we all need encouragement from people who get the struggle. Please add me and we can do it together. I'm also interested in that 60+ group too if someone could link it! Thanks and have a great day!!!! Karen
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!