55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many: I love your attitude. Preach it . . . and go, you! ;)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    1Nana, you are doing great. Keep it up and you will need a new wardrobe, a great problem to have.

Keep moving helps, doesn't burn that much, but something about the synergy of moving and portion control seems to yield a good result everytime.
  • baharal
    baharal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2 - like you my MD told me not to lift anything, I have three bulging discs. I'm glad the time change is giving us more daylight so I can at least walk after work.

Nana - congrats on you weight loss as well. I too am eating what I want. That's what I love about MPF.

I did not eat processed foods until a couple of weeks ago. I was diagnosed with lymphoma a year ago and am in remission. That is what gave me the push to say enough is enough! The weight must come off. Our bodies and our health is a blessing and it our decision whether we step up to the plate and take care of them. The stories on this website are much more motivating than any weight loss meeting I've been to and the before and after pix are amazing!

I'm chomping at the bit to exercise. I know I can use hand weights and and the exercise ball to do squats and push ups. That's my challenge now. Just to do it!
  • baharal
    Options
    It's also very interesting to see the posts by the men who are losing weight. Some make me laugh and say who'da thought!
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ncdrccetzy6f.jpg

118.5kgs (261 lbs) September 2013

8uolitz3eof2.jpg

75.9kgs (167 lbs) January 2016, maintaining for over 12 months.

• 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @Roaringgael Thanks for sharing your photo! You are looking great! Well done!
  • grshaadi
    grshaadi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello all, just joining your forum today. There are nice and inspirational posts here. I am almost 64 and riddled with Arthritis. Would like some friends to learn from. I need to loose at least 30 pounds. Any help will be appreciated
  • chuckyjean
    chuckyjean Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and have lost 22 lbs since December
    I didn't have a whole lot to lose, and another 8 lbs I'll be at my goal weight. I find when I get my daily protein goal it helps. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose. I also try to get in 10000 steps everyday, do planks, push-ups, Crunch's and squats nearly everyday
  • grshaadi
    Options
    chuckyjean wrote: »
    I didn't have a whole lot to lose, and another 8 lbs I'll be at my goal weight. I find when I get my daily protein goal it helps. Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose. I also try to get in 10000 steps everyday, do planks, push-ups, Crunch's and squats nearly everyday

Thanks. Will definitely do this
  • grshaadi
    Options

Just in continuation of my earlier response. I can do some walking and eat at a deficit at this time. Can do very little of the other stuff do arthritis in knees, neck and shoulders. But thanks for your suggestion
  • shirinian1
    shirinian1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 years old 5'7. Need to lose 15 pounds to reach my goal weight at 160. I have been hovering between 180-185 for about 3 months I start my day by walking briskly for 90 minutes.. Close to 6 miles. I have my calorie intake at 1200. If anyone has ANY suggestions please pass them on! Getting frustrated....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    grshaadi wrote: »

Just in continuation of my earlier response. I can do some walking and eat at a deficit at this time. Can do very little of the other stuff do arthritis in knees, neck and shoulders. But thanks for your suggestion

@grshaadi, I don't know where you live, but around here there are places (YMCA, adult education programs at the schools) that have special arthritis exercise classes, or pool classes (where they make the pool a little warmer for the class) with special exercises.

I've also known people with fairly severe arthritis who were able to do tai chi, or yoga if they started the latter in a specialized arthritis class. Some physical therapy businesses offer special classes, too, though theirs tend to be more expensive.

If you would like to try some new things, maybe there would be something like this in your area.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Here's a web link at the Arthritis Foundation that suggests water exercise for people with arthritis.
    http://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/exercise/workouts/simple-routines/water-walking.php
    Please note that it mentions that because you do not bear weight while exercising in water, it doesn't help alot with bone retention, but it does say you can do great things for muscle because water has 12X the resistance of air. I know our local small town pool offers times in the summer for water walking. It makes me think it would be a good idea for me to get myself to the pool this summer and walk!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @1Nana2many, you are on a roll! Keep up the great work, sister. Wow. @Roaringgael, looking fabulous! @shirinian1, you are off to a great start. Find any exercises you like/love and keep at them. Walking is great. Do your best to stay within your calories in/calories out and you will find success and feel great! One thing...I live out in the middle of nowhere and all of my exercise is at home...and free! Walk, run, youtube exercise videos.
  • veggiecanner
    veggiecanner Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 , started loosing weight last Sept. started at 182. Weghed 144 this morning. Lost the weight by walking and a 1100 calorie diet. Tryed to go to maintanance 3 weeks ago. Got up to 1500 calories and My stomach rebelled. So I'm back to 1200 . I've Lost From 147 down to 144.5 trying to stop loosing. But I had tryed to Increase my calories 10 pounds early so thats ok. I can loose 15-20 more pounds with out any problems. My husband And I are riding bikes now. He has lost almost 50 pounds Mostly by walking too..
  • baharal
    Options
    Great job roaringgael! You look terrific.

Good exercises chuckyjean, I forgot about the planks, back when I was exercising I liked doing them.

Always good info on this thread! Have a good week everyone!
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    shirinian1, Some suggestions; 1) Start lifting weights, start with about two exercises per body part w/at least two sets of 12-15 reps. 2) watch your sugar intake (natural & added (especially the added)) and white starchy carbs. And 3) cut back on overly processed foods (i.e. canned veggies--use frozen and add your own seasonings, etc.). I did this last year and lost 12 lbs and I'm 65. Good luck! B)
  • grshaadi
    Options
    @ AnnPT77 and 1Nana2many. Thanks for your very kind suggestions. I live in Toronto. The area around my house is not the greatest and the pool close by is quite run down. It grosses me out. I moved here after my separation. My other house was in an upscale neighborhood. My sister has been telling me to go for aqua fit as well and I gave her the same reason. I saw cockroaches in the lockers and was afraid that some might stick to my stuff and then come home with me. My subdivision is new but the area is old. I will look into YMCA. Thanks I did not think of them. I have started doing some yoga for Arthritis from YouTube. Was going to check Tai Chi as well but was not sure if that will help loose weight. Thanks again. You gals are great! Best regards
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    shirinian1, Some suggestions; 1) Start lifting weights, start with about two exercises per body part w/at least two sets of 12-15 reps. 2) watch your sugar intake (natural & added (especially the added)) and white starchy carbs. And 3) cut back on overly processed foods (i.e. canned veggies--use frozen and add your own seasonings, etc.). I did this last year and lost 12 lbs and I'm 65. Good luck! B)

I also recommend strength training, 3x week if you can. You could also do some cross training days vs just weightlifting. I'd suggest walking right after breakfast and no more than 60 minutes, and use the other 30 minutes for strength work-calisthenics-cross training.

Also consider doing interval walking or riding a bicycle or using an elliptical to perform HIIT cardio: Walk as fast as you can for 1 minute, walk slowly for 2 minutes; check out HIIT (high intensity interval training).

Follow this routine: Warmup 5 minutes, stretch out, exercise, warm down, stretch down entire body

Eat more on heaviest exercise days, eat less on lighter days and rest day. Eat high protein, moderate carbs from fruits/vegetables/grains/beans and low fat. Like I eat 140-150 grams Protein, 80-110 carbs, 40-50 Fat depending on what kind of exercise day I am on.

Awesome attitude and work ethic you have! PM/FR me if want.
  • shirinian1
    shirinian1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I started doing more HIIT and dropped 2 pounds. I broke thru my plateau! Thanks again for your help.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!