55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    For fresh, Welcome to our group! You can send me a friend request.

For quiet, you might want to start lifting heavier weights. Once two to three sets of abt 15 reps are easy you need to increase the weight. P.S. you won't get bulky; your muscles eventually adept and stop making gains if you don't increase the weight (while maintaining good form). I'm 65 and was doing BB curls with a 30-lb barbell and using 15 lb weights on a cable machine for my triceps until I broke my wrist, so haven't been back since then. As soon as the doc gives the OK, I'll have to start over, but will be lifting as heave as I can. B)
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It's Friday evening and I hope everyone here is having a great week! I was feeling a little guilty this week about not getting a whole lot of exercise in until this morning when I went to my daughter's daycare to fill in while she took my 3 year old granddaughter to her preschool screening. We turned on some youtube kids' dance/exercise videos and I now feel like I got quite the workout with a group of 2, 3 and 4 year olds! Who'd have thought! It wore me out! Have a great weekend and remember every day is a new day! We can do this!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Here is the link, Ladies:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3538-60-years-old-and-over

We do have a few male members as well, but they don't post very frequently, just so you know it isn't a ladies only group.
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    It's been awfully quiet on this thread lately. How is everyone doing? Are you feeling like you're making progress? Two weeks ago I reached a milestone that I didn't really think would be a big deal when I reached it, but once I posted my current weight and it showed up on my screen as 25 pounds lost, it gave me such a mental boost! I wasn't really expecting that because when I started in January I had nearly 75 pounds to lose to reach what I consider a maintainable goal for me of about 170 pounds. Since I am only 5'4" on an optimistic day, this is not what others might consider my ideal weight, but getting down to a size 10 would thrill me. What's has been something that made you feel good lately?
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Yes, @1Nana2many, hitting milestones you didn't really know you had are very pleasant surprises! Spring has sprung in my neighborhood. I heard all kinds of birds this morning as I was running! It is nice to have an early spring for a change.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I know, where have we all gone ?? Still counting calories, have lost 7 pounds!!!! Beautiful here in Minnesota, 74 yesterday but cool down coming. Have had a horrible sinus infection, I think it's over. Heard my lovely 47 year old niece has Parkinson's, very sad need many prayers. Not doing much, most friends have gone south for the winter. Come n chat or are we getting too old? Lol
  • Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I caught a cold on my birthday, Feb 26th, and an still fighting the stupid cough. Went to my doctor to be referred to my hip surgeon. Took another blood test and found out my pain medication, Diclofenac , is causing my creatinine levels in my kidneys to increase. My regular doctor told me to quit taking the medication and just rely on the Tramadol for pain. OMG who is he trying to kid. I did that for about 4 days and it became agony to walk. I have an appointment with a kidney doctor next Wednesday and a consultation appointment with my surgeon March 24th. I'm praying the surgeon will decide I've lost enough weight that he can do my hip replacement surgery. I've lost 89 pounds but I still weigh 301. I'm working very hard to be under 300 by the time I go see the surgeon. I hope I get some pain resolution soon. It would also be nice if I could finally kick this cold. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer today.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Age 57. Height 5'7. SW 183.4 CW 135.8. Been maintaining for a year now. Slow and steady loss for me, about 5 years. But that is fine with me. Portion control was the key .
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    17761776 wrote: »
    Still counting calories, have lost 7 pounds!!!! Beautiful here in Minnesota, 74 yesterday but cool down coming. Have had a horrible sinus infection, I think it's over. Heard my lovely 47 year old niece has Parkinson's, very sad need many prayers. Not doing much, most friends have gone south for the winter. Come n chat or are we getting too old? Lol
    Congrats on the weight loss! Hope you are feeling better soon. So sorry to hear of your niece's diagnosis. My brother just got out of the hospital after his third colon cancer surgery. It's turning into an early spring here in NE Kansas too! The robins have been showing up! Since my retirement, I took up beekeeping and went out to check my hive and they were still out there and actually finding pollen to bring in a couple weeks ago. Thrilled to see them alive and well. Didn't think there would be anything for them to collect pollen from!
    Cheryl7777: Hope you are feeling better quickly too. Good luck on your medical consults! 89 pounds is an amazing weight loss! Hopefully you'll be running around on a new hip in no time!
    Pita7317: Sounds like you are doing well on maintenance. You are so right about portion control.
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Nana - you are my inspiration! Such excellent progress. Pita - you are also my inspiration! Wow, such a great weight loss and to maintain it as you are. I'm also glad to see your loss was slow - mine is too.

Since Christmas I've lost a whopping 5 lb - 198 to 193. GW is 180, 170 on an optimistic day. But I suppose it's progress. I've been having laser surgery on my varicose veins on both legs, and this will continue throughout the spring. So I can't do too much exercise because the doctor doesn't want my heart rate up - blood to flow too hard through my legs. I re-start yoga next week for one week, then back off. Hopefully by summer my legs won't look so scary! I think it will be an ego boost for me too, and that would be nice.

But that's not my excuse - I just get frustrated sometimes with kids and job and have my wine and cheese at night. I'm not fully dedicated to this, and I need to be to lose the weight. Today I will try to re-boot with some meditation.

Thanks for listening.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    calm, Take it one day at a time; failure is when you quit and give up. Keep at it and don't give up, you will reach your goal. Good luck! B)
  • calmandpeaceful
    calmandpeaceful Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thank you Griffin. You are right. I will not give up - just accept that I'm making mistakes and try to minimize those. In the past, regular meditation has helped, but I've stopped doing that. Will start.
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself, you are on a long journey! Gayle Minneapolis
  • griffinca2
    Options
    So right Gayle! it is a journey, not a "diet" or a project with an end date. I lost 12 lbs by watching my portion sizes and sugar intake; but didn't deny myself either. I ate cake, ice cream, soda, etc. (still do), but only occasionally and in moderation. If we don't include foods we love, we're less likely to keep to our plan; include them once or twice a week--I have a small amt of dark chocolate chips after dinner every night (and haven't gained any weight back). B)
  • FitnessGloria715
    FitnessGloria715 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    [Great news 2 share
    quote="luluinca;30779977"]I'm 64 and started here in Sept of 2013 with 70 lbs to lose, still recovering from a back injury (which really piled on the pounds), and have so far lost 56 lbs. I won't pretend it's been easy but I've been pretty determined. The difference for me was really exercising my little heart out. I go to the gym at least 4 days a week, right now I'm going 5 days to see how that goes, where I do strength training/weight lifting, lots of calisthenic and circuit type workouts, swim, and generally work my butt off for 90 minutes or more. The other two or sometime three days I walk the dogs between 3 and 4 miles each day.

I've found that my metabolism isn't as slow now as it was when I started so I'm actually eating more than I was and still losing weight, albeit a little slowly. I'm enjoying myself though and I'm certainly not starving to death or anything on an average of 1650-1750 calories a day.

Good luck with your goals. :D [/quote]

• baharal
    baharal Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Made it to onederland a couple of weeks ago, it was anticlimatic. I'm glad I'm there it seems like just yesterday that it would never happen. Lost 31 lbs since Oct/Nov don't remember. Prayers to all of you with health issues or loved ones with health issues. Remember slow and steady and we'll all reach our goal. This is a great thread and I love to hear how everyone is doing and the encouragement everyone gives one another.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and anyone can do it at any age. Resistance training and keeping the weight off is the fountain of youth!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Cali, I'm the same age (65) and couldn't agree more! Busted my wrist back in Dec and doc won't let me lift right now (no more than two lbs anyway). I'll be back at it as soon as I can. BTW, I'm from Cali as well (but live in GA now). B)
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    @baharal Congratulations for dropping below 200! It may have seemed anticlimactic, but it is forward-movement in the right direction and you are taking control of the situation. That, my friend, is progress!
    @californiagirl2012 You are absolutely right! It really doesn't matter what our age is! The thing that matters most, in my humble opinion, is that we make the commitment to value ourselves enough every day to make good food choices. I don't think I'm alone in putting myself last when it comes to care-taking and the higher my weight went, the more my self-esteem deteriorated until I was doing more damage with every bite of food because I felt like a lost cause. Well, NO MORE! EVERY DAY IS A NEW DAY!

I started MFP on January 4th, 2016 at age 59 [I REALLY wish I'd found it sooner!] at 244.7 pounds and at 5'4", that's a very tight size 18/20 and it doesn't look or feel good. Today, March 19, 2016, I weighed in at 215.5 pounds, that's a loss of 29.2 pounds in about 80 days. My size 18 jeans are just falling off, but it feels great to know that I can keep doing this AND making progress. I have to think a little more about what I am putting in my mouth, but I am still eating food I have always loved to eat...not as much bread, not as much anything, but I don't have that miserable feeling after over-eating any more. I don't mind seeing what real hunger feels like just before I eat my next meal. And I keep catching my husband of nearly 40 years looking at me with a little smile on his face when I don't expect it...could it be because my double chin is starting to disappear? I don't know, but I like it...

Keep moving forward ladies [and gentlemen]! Buy that food scale and use it at least until you really know what a serving size it. Put every bite you eat in your food diary every day. Move a little more every day. Whatever movement you can manage! You are WORTH IT!!!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Nana. Congrats on your weight loss! You will reach your goal (and fall off the wagon occasionally). Thing is, so what if you fell off; you get back on; failure is when you give up (Never Give Up!). B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!