55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• rosayoder
    rosayoder Posts: 3 Member
    Greetings from Michigan. This site was recommended by a nutritionist that's part of an orthopedic group. The surgeons found that many patients who needed surgery had a BMI that was too high to be safe and added her to their program. So here I am, aching knees and all! Keeping a food diary is easy and very helpful so my slow-but-sure weight loss plan is taking shape with accountability. By the way, my 65th birthday was last month and it sure would be nice to be healthier when I retire in a year! I'm looking forward to reading your tips and hear about your journey.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Rosa, Welcome!!! B)
  • birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Thank you, Ladies - for the kind welcome and the good wishes. It feels great to be part of a supportive community. @rosayoder - when you mentioned the aching knees, I was reminded that I was in the same boat when I first started. Funny, I almost forgot because now, 100+ lbs lost later, I don't have that problem anymore. But for several years my aching knees and painful feet stopped me from doing much of anything. Lack of activity did a number on my head, made me feel depressed, made me eat, and I just got fatter and fatter. Then my husband had a very serious stroke in April 2015. Recovering, he worked so incredibly hard to regain his mental acuity and physical strength. He is now probably 95pct back to who he was before. Absolutely amazing!!! At around the same time my dear friend was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, a chronic back condition, and a host of other health issues. And yet, she was out there every day walking or finding some way to get exercise in daily, doing all she could to get healthy. And it made me think, what's my excuse? I didn't have a stroke, and I don't have serious chronic conditions. All I've got is aches and pains - and for an overweight woman in her 60s, that's hardly unusual. So I decided to simply ignore the knees and the feet. I told them (the knees and feet) that they're no longer in charge - I am! Lol. Somehow it worked! At first I only walked a little bit 5mins, 10mins, 15. Over time the walks got longer and the pounds came off, and the knees stopped hurting. The feet are still a problem for me and will always be - but they're still not in charge ;-). Funny tho that I'd completely forgotten about the hurting knees... Hope the same may be true for you some day because it sure is not fun! Best wishes!

@1Nana2many - yes, I too eat basically whatever I want. I'm no cook! Don't enjoy it, don't like thinking about having to cook, don't like any part of it. And my husband is even more hopeless in the kitchen - altho he can fry up a mean set of eggs :-D. So we eat pre-made foods. Rotisserie chicken and turkey breast is our best friend. And cold cuts. Plus tons and tons of frozen vegetables. Oh, and fruit. We really eat fairly healthfully, but if a meal can't be thrown together in 5 mins or less, it won't come out of my kitchen. As long as the calories fit into my food plan, I'm good with it.

@Ming1951 - you've made fantastic progress. Congratulations!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    Hi, Birgit & Rosa (and any other new folks my short attention span missed ;) )!

Knees: I lost only 60-some pounds, but the reduction in knee pain is very, very dramatic (I have some arthritis, torn meniscus, some random other cartilage nonsense). It's now occasional discomfort, used to be consistent discomfort and relatively frequent pain, some severe enough to interfere with sleep. Since I'm a "delay/avoid surgery as long as possible" kind of person, this is a Great Thing. I wish I'd done it years ago - especially since it turned out to be so simple (not always easy ;) ).

Rosa: I'm in Michigan, too, but over near Lansing.

Birgit: Speaking as a rower, I envy your height - it's an advantage in this sport! (My main rowing double partner, female, is a 6'1" 66-year-old, but I'm only 5'5" :( and 61.)
  • rosayoder
    rosayoder Posts: 3 Member
    Brigit, your experience is just what I needed to hear; thanks! You know what, I can walk for 5 minutes and I'm going to start doing that even though it will initially cause more pain. That's okay... it won't kill me!

Ann, I have a son in Lansing and one in Owosso. Often I meet my daughter for lunch in Lansing since it's roughly halfway for both of us. Nice area.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    utahjulia wrote: »
    Hi. I've been lurking. I'm a couple months into being 60 and two weeks into being serious about reversing years of weight creep. Today was week two weighin, and I've lost four pounds total. I hope hope hope I can keep losing two pounds per week until I like what I see again.

Keep going you can do it, maybe you'll fall off the wagon but don't give up
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Thank you, Spikey. I'm committed.
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Hi, Birgit & Rosa (and any other new folks my short attention span missed ;) )!

Knees: I lost only 60-some pounds, but the reduction in knee pain is very, very dramatic (I have some arthritis, torn meniscus, some random other cartilage nonsense). It's now occasional discomfort, used to be consistent discomfort and relatively frequent pain, some severe enough to interfere with sleep. Since I'm a "delay/avoid surgery as long as possible" kind of person, this is a Great Thing. I wish I'd done it years ago - especially since it turned out to be so simple (not always easy ;) ).

Same issues for me, and after cutting starchy carbs like bread, crackers, and such, knee pain/inflammation all but disappeared which makes exercise so much easier. My weight loss has been excruciatingly slow (52 pounds/2years) but I am so glad I did not give up or give in. I have about 25-30 more to lose and hope to make that by the end of the year. It is doable!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Welcome Rosa and Julia! This is a safe place here on MFP with lots of helpful, friendly women.
  • SalinitySally
    SalinitySally Posts: 258 Member
    Thank you. ❤️
  • kimsteve58
    kimsteve58 Posts: 4 Member
    will be 59 on the 1st of March....ugh.....and yes, I agree with many comments here.......age definitely makes a difference in how our bodies work, especially when it comes to loosing weight. i've enjoyed reading everyone's comments and plan on checking in here daily!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,310 Member
    wow, birgit, that's incredible. I was just telling hubby about you, his sister has very achy knees, feet, headaches & is depressed. she did get one knee replacement & getting the other one done this year, but if she could only loose 100 lbs, I know it would change her life.
  • griffinca2
    Ditto w/mk2fit!! B)
  • griffinca2
    Agree w/Nana!! And I wrote this on a friend's post earlier: Aging process you can't stop; getting old you can (cause it's an attitude). There are medical issues that happen that we can't control; but we can control how we handle it. I broke my right wrist in Dec of 14; was out of commission for a little over three months (read no gym/workouts). Got back in the gym in Apr of 15; I can now do ten + REAL push-ups, and I'm 66. So, if you say you can't; you can't. B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!