55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I am 62, lost 40 lbs 4 years ago, doing well with it, work part time and do not think I can retire completely, must have A personality or maybe it takes time to get use to retirement I don't know,it scares me.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    I am 62, lost 40 lbs 4 years ago, doing well with it, work part time and do not think I can retire completely, must have A personality or maybe it takes time to get use to retirement I don't know,it scares me.

I retired at 61 and then lost all my weight. Retirement is awesome so no worries. I was so stressed out and not sleeping at all. Once I was able to focus on my health by changing my way of life all my health markers improved over the year following my retirement. So much happier now in body, mind, and spirit.
  • barbara3213
    barbara3213 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I found this thread. Reading your comments is so encouraging. I'm 56, 5'5", started at 208 a month ago, current weight 198.5, and right now I've set a goal weight of 140. I've found MFP invaluable already and am looking forward to a healthier, more fit future.
  • 0505jen
    0505jen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your comments and tips, I try just having a fudgsicle as my after dinner snack but it doesn't seem to work anymore. I do try chewing gum during the day.
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oops!! Went away for 4 days - came back 2kg heavier. A lesson learnt. We don't have to eat every biscuit and sweet in sight. Get a bit annoyed at myself as at 63 I'd like to think I was sensible and able to say enough. MFP helps to get back on track. At least we understand and can share similar shortcomings. Have lost 15g so far
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Should read 1kg, not 15kg - I wish
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Have lost 33 lbs in the last year but have not lost any more since December. I am fighting to maintain. I lost my drive and momentum to keep losing. I need some inspiration and tips to get back on track.
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    The difference between doing this now and doing it when I was younger is in the past I would let life get in the way of my goals............kids, work, injuries, stress, money............etc. Now, I figure I don't have that much time left so I need to stick to it. I really don't want to have to start over again.

I have to admit I know exactly what you are saying about letting life get in the way of my goals for myself. When you feel like you already have too many balls in the air and can't juggle one more, it's easy to stop paying attention to what you are eating for the sake of just fueling your body so you can move on to the next necessary task. There were days when just coming home and staring at a blank wall sounded really good while I was at work. I FEEL like I am being more selfish now, but I KNOW that I am really just taking care of my own health the way I really should have been doing all along. I still think that's the hardest thing for most women, maybe especially moms to learn; that if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take good care of anyone else! Maybe that's just a universal issue for many overweight people.
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    luluinca wrote: »
    The difference between doing this now and doing it when I was younger is in the past I would let life get in the way of my goals............kids, work, injuries, stress, money............etc. Now, I figure I don't have that much time left so I need to stick to it. I really don't want to have to start over again.

I have to admit I know exactly what you are saying about letting life get in the way of my goals for myself. When you feel like you already have too many balls in the air and can't juggle one more, it's easy to stop paying attention to what you are eating for the sake of just fueling your body so you can move on to the next necessary task. There were days when just coming home and staring at a blank wall sounded really good while I was at work. I FEEL like I am being more selfish now, but I KNOW that I am really just taking care of my own health the way I really should have been doing all along. I still think that's the hardest thing for most women, maybe especially moms to learn; that if you don't take care of yourself, you can't take good care of anyone else! Maybe that's just a universal issue for many overweight people.
    For some reason, part of my response went to la la land...
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    Apparently it deletes anything after a graphic! I said I need to let my sense of failure go!
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy I found this thread again! I forgot to mark it. Still working out at least 5 times per week. Attempting to drink more water and stay under 1220 calories each day. Seems to be very difficult for me even though I have tried to add more protein to help fuel my activity. The scale just doesn't seem to move so I must be eating more than I should. Trying to stay motivated and focused - but hard.
  • Akgramma
    Akgramma Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    What is high impact interval training?
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    High Impact Interval Training (HIIT) is cardio where you do short spurts of intense (15 - 30 seconds to start) followed by longer (about 60+ seconds) of recovery; you go back and forth for about 20 to 30 minutes. It's pretty intense so if you decide to try it, start out slow. That's it in a nutshell, but if you plug it in on-line should better descriptions are out there (along w/some plans). B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    Oops!! Went away for 4 days - came back 2kg heavier. A lesson learnt. We don't have to eat every biscuit and sweet in sight. Get a bit annoyed at myself as at 63 I'd like to think I was sensible and able to say enough. MFP helps to get back on track. At least we understand and can share similar shortcomings. Have lost 15g so far

If you're just back, give it some time. You know what you ate, and I don't, but it seems unlikely that in 4 days you ate a total of 15,400 calories above your maintenance calorie level - which is what it would take to gain 2kg. So, at least some of it is likely to be water weight, and will drop away in a few days as you get back to your healthy routine. Try not to get discouraged, just get back on track!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    Have lost 33 lbs in the last year but have not lost any more since December. I am fighting to maintain. I lost my drive and momentum to keep losing. I need some inspiration and tips to get back on track.

I like to read the "What's Your Most Recent NSV" (especially) and "http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1167854/photo-only-success-stories#latest" threads in the Success Stories area for inspiration.

Tips? Maybe experiment with some new/tasty healthy foods to mix things up a little, or change your activity routine?

Maybe you can say a little more about what you mean as far as losing your drive & momentum, what's going off track, etc. - so we can offer specific ideas that have worked for us in similar scenarios?
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Jessicasmithtv on youtube has some low impact HIIT routines that are 15 minutes or less. Not too tough for first timers, but enough of a workout for others. She always gives options for easier/harder workouts.
  • rj488
    rj488 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    I am 60, and have had a few changes in my life recently (job change, income change, etc.) I have lost 61 pounds (17 before joining MFP). I'm a hearty eater with a fairly active lifestyle, and have successfully lost weight before but never kept it off. I have to realize that this an entire lifestyle change, not something with an end goal that I can reach, relax, and then revert to old habits. Diabetes runs in my family and I want to keep it at bay. I am losing VERY slowly, but surely! I am now in Onderland for the first time in over 22 years, and over the holidays I was able to buy clothes in a normal women's section. Overwhelming! I slip here and there, but it is not devastating as I just get back on track the next day. I feel wonderful, energetic, and better than I have in years. I vigorously exercise at least 5 times a week, and have embraced the over-used phrase of "use it or lose it". Only slacker part of my day is sitting in front of this computer reading the forums!

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    SbetaK, You only fail if you quit. And you're right; it is about a lifestyle, not a "diet" or project with an end date. I'm in maintenance; only wanted to lose about seven or eight when I started last year. Ended up losing 11; only changes I made was cutting back on overly processed food and sugar (added/naturally occurring). I still indulge (I have dk choc chips after dinner) and I eat pizza, ice cream, cake, etc., but only occasionally. B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!