55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think a heart rate monitor would be more useful for me. Trackers do not track effort, I do a lot of hill walking and jogging not to mention HITT type workouts and Fitbit's, Vivo's don't track those. I gave up on wearables but saw the Rhythm mention above and will be ordering one of those, the reviews are outstanding.

Love the info here
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    freechewy, Several models of Fitbits have HR. I use the Charge HR and it does a great job of monitoring my heart rate all day long. I don't forget it when I head to the gym or out for a walk. I used to use a bluetooth enabled Polar chest strap with my iphone, but using my Fitbit is SOOOOO much easier.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    freechewy, Several models of Fitbits have HR. I use the Charge HR and it does a great job of monitoring my heart rate all day long. I don't forget it when I head to the gym or out for a walk. I used to use a bluetooth enabled Polar chest strap with my iphone, but using my Fitbit is SOOOOO much easier.

I have the same one and love it! The only time I don't wear it is when I'm swimming and I just estimate those calories because I kept track of them for years with my Polar which is water proof. I pretty much know how many calories I burn for 1/2 or 1 mile swims.

I think my fitbit gives me a pretty good estimate of my TDEE and since I'm in maintenance now that's really helpful.
  • suziqinbaltimore
    suziqinbaltimore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Beginning again after hip replacement at 53. I had lost 30 pounds and was down to my goal weight of 145 five years ago. But a bad hip injury, two eye surgeries and menopause came in succession and here I am back at 175. I think my new goal is somewhere closer to 155, but that still feels like a steep hill right now.

Two months post replacement surgery and I just started back at the gym and tracking my calories on MFP.

Good to see you all here!
    Guess I need to get a picture up . . .
    cheers!
    Susan
  • GranditheGreat
    GranditheGreat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello...Everybody's grown and gone and I just sat down in that big old recliner and had a year long pity party, getting heavier and sicker and more depressed every day. My faith in Father God is what made me wake up and accept that I was wasting a good life, one that many people would be grateful for, and when I stumbled onto this site...My second week and I've lost 4 with 35 to go!
  • marjtrewin
    marjtrewin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am doing it, so proud of myself. MFP graph still heading in the right direction. Happy day everyone
  • mheenan230
    mheenan230 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    freechewy wrote: »
    wow, I found this group by accident! I am struggling with losing weight. I have 30 to lose. Post-Menopausal and was very slender before I had a hysterectomy. I am trying to cut out processed foods.

I would love some weight loss friends from this group. I had a bunch of men friend and really young women. I would like women in my own age group if possible. I am going to read these posts for encouragement. I need it.

I too am anxious to support and receive support from woman in my age group I am 65 I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds I have done pretty well with this my fitness pal aand hope to continue I am not sure how to friend people on here but I'm interested in connecting with others
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    mheenan230 wrote: »
    freechewy wrote: »
    wow, I found this group by accident! I am struggling with losing weight. I have 30 to lose. Post-Menopausal and was very slender before I had a hysterectomy. I am trying to cut out processed foods.

I would love some weight loss friends from this group. I had a bunch of men friend and really young women. I would like women in my own age group if possible. I am going to read these posts for encouragement. I need it.

I too am anxious to support and receive support from woman in my age group I am 65 I'm trying to lose about 30 pounds I have done pretty well with this my fitness pal aand hope to continue I am not sure how to friend people on here but I'm interested in connecting with others

Just click on their name here and a new box will open. Click on their name again and you will have the choice to add them as a friend. It's nice to send a message along with the request so the person you want to add knows why you want to be friends or where you saw them here.
  • mheenan230
    mheenan230 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much.

• JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Anyone who wants to add me as a friend, just drop me a note with the request saying where you "met" me. :)

I've been maintaining since November, and there are still changes. At the doctor's yesterday, my bp was lowest ever - 1-teens/63. The doc asked if I wanted to try a med reduction. Since the med's a capsule, I couldn't experiment, and I'm not getting lightheaded, so we're sticking as is for now.
  • Igilchrist
    Igilchrist Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm Irene 66 years old. I've tried numerous diets but truly need to be part of a group which are motivated. I'm probably at my heaviest weight. Have lost so much energy. And was stuck on protein and veggies on my last attempt at dropping the extra weight. My goals are to be stronger, more flexible and definitely healthier.
  • SugarDarlin1959
    SugarDarlin1959 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Igilchrist wrote: »
    I'm Irene 66 years old. I've tried numerous diets but truly need to be part of a group which are motivated. I'm probably at my heaviest weight. Have lost so much energy. And was stuck on protein and veggies on my last attempt at dropping the extra weight. My goals are to be stronger, more flexible and definitely healthier.

I am 57 and have the same goals as you. I have really been enjoying MFP especially since I found out that my Fitbit syncs with it. My life has been crazy the past week but hoping to get back on track by Tuesday.

• marjtrewin
    Options
    I am always interrested how many calories people aim for. Mine is 1200 - 1400. I wonder if this is too low. Was over this evening as needed "bulk" . Had a peanut butter sandwich after supper. I think we have to listen to our bodies. So long as we don't totally derail
  • marjtrewin
    Options
    Sugardarlin - your grandchild is so very cute - congratulations
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    I am always interrested how many calories people aim for. Mine is 1200 - 1400. I wonder if this is too low. Was over this evening as needed "bulk" . Had a peanut butter sandwich after supper. I think we have to listen to our bodies. So long as we don't totally derail

I set my mfp to 1200, sedentary and let my fitbit adjust for exercise calories, I end up anywhere from 1600-2100 cals. I try to get in 10K steps, I do cardio-strength training 2x a week and live in a house with 3 flights of stairs. I do spend a lot of time in front of a computer screen during the day as well. This has worked for me. Currently I have just moved back into 1200 mode, I had been at 1600+exercise and not gaining nor losing, I did that on purpose, I am now starting a cut. So cals are set lower but I always eat above that starting point, and NEVER below it. NO one should be eating less than 1200 cal. unless they are doing with doctor supervision for a health issue. It takes that many calories to just lay in bed and do nothing all day. If you do anything, you will need more than 1200 cals.

Keep in mind some don't really track that well and think they only eat 1200 but they forgot that cookie they finished for the kiddos, the tasting of the gravy for the chicken, that sort of thing and they don't read the label portion sizes, they may have 3 serves according to the label but only mark down one. Everyone does it to some extent, it is almost impossible to be right on a certain number.

Enjoy the Journey.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »

I did most of my losing at 1400-1600 (net - eating back all (carefully estimated) exercise). 1200 was too low for me: I got fatigued. But that will vary by person.

I'm in maintenance now, and it turned out that the calorie-needs calculators estimate too low for me. I'm eating at 1800 most days, but lots more than that once a week or so, trying to average out around 2000-2200 per day overall, which I think is my approximate maintenance calories now (still net calories - my exercise includes a lot of outdoor stuff that's weather-dependent, thus unpredictable, so I don't try to estimate a TDEE, just a NEAT, then add exercise). I'm 60 y/o, 5'5", around 120 pounds, and quite active, BTW.

If you stick close to your calorie goal for a couple of weeks, or at least carefully log everything you actually eat/drink, you can figure out your true calorie deficit & loss rate, which may be higher or lower than MFP guesses. (It's right on for many people, of course.)

If you're losing no more than about 1% of your body weight weekly, and feeling healthy & energetic, your 1200-1400 is probably just fine. (It can be OK to lose more than 1% at first, if one is quite obese, or when under medical supervision, of course.)
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Igilchrist wrote: »

Welcome, Irene! I'm 64 and, after losing about 70 pounds, am definitely more flexible _ I can once more not just cross my legs, but twine them, with the ankle of my "over" leg behind the other calf. :smiley: I can also squat or kneel to take a photograph without needing to lean on a cane or some other support to get back up.

You might also check out this thread,
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10381931/women-ages-50-for-may-2016
    which will soon be switching to a new thread for June (there will be a link at the end of the May discussion thread).

It's a terrific group, with lots of enthusiastic, supportive members.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    You guys just made my day :) Happy to have found this group!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!