55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Hi PianoRun (I'm guessing you play piano :) I'm female, 56 and post menopausal. Last year I lost 30 lbs between January and September. I tried to be faithful to log my caloric intake on MFP and workout out on my eliptical trainer while watching a show on Netflix - approximately 45 minutes. (A distraction is a MUST!) I'm 5'1" and have to stay at or below 1200 calories to lose. It's hard, but it can be done! I gained back 20 between mid September and the end of December ... how is that possible!!!???? So....gotta keep at it or it does return AND IN A HURRY! I had gotten lazy and wasn't logging. I've taken off 5 of that already, and plan to get the rest off and not gain it back AGAIN....UGH! Hangeth thou in there! You can do it...just takes discipline and the realization that its just the way it is at this stage of life. Stinks huh? Be thankful for the wisdom we have now, but miss the bodies and metabolism we once had. The tradeoff I guess!

My goal is 1200 cals knowing I might go over.
    I need distractions too
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Mk2loser:: thank you!!! That is what I was looking for. It is not anger that sparks eating poorly, but worry. Health issues with family and being in the sandwich generation makes for a lot of people to take care of. Plus my profession is one that requires daily problem solving for many who require care. That is what derails me. It is difficult to find time for me and to have a routine. Life gets in the way. I have lost 33 lbs over the past year but am hanging on by a thread. Exercise is difficult when overwhelmed. Prayer is my constant.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Eleted, OK if I add you to my prayer list??
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    You're only gassy when exercising? <blink> Though I do find that when exercising other muscles, especially when running, it gets harder to exercise the sphincter. (Which comedian was it who called the sphincter the smartest muscle in the body? "Try holding a mixture of solids, liquids and gases in your hands and releasing just the gas.")
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Griffinca2. It would be an honor. Thank you
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Eleted, you're more than welcome!! B)
  • ilikegardens
    ilikegardens Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My name is Karen, and I'm so pleased to find this post. I started logging 20 days ago after hip replacement surgery. I like to be active, but before I got my hip fixed, the pain was horrendous, and most exercise too hurtful (pilates did work for me, was helpful, but not enough). Stress, pain, and work travel--I gained 20 lbs since last September, and I was already 25 lbs overweight (45 lbs if you look at the weight charts). I've lost about 14 lbs since mid-May, almost 6 since I started logging. Thanks to you all for...
    ...saying that weight loss after menopause may be slow. I'm 56, and I've heard that a lot, but there's something soothing about the calm acceptance that some of you have toward that piece of information. I can be patient.
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Thanks so much, Trina!
    I saw your post first thing this morning, and it made me happy.
    Karen
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @ilikegardens Karen, I had hip replacement 2 yrs ago at age 60 and have lost about 45 pounds (30+ in the past year with MFP). The hip surgery was the impetus to get myself healthy again. Knowing that good nutritious food, less weight to stress my joints, and moderate exercise to strengthen the supporting muscles would help my hip recover fully was a great motivator to change a lot of things in my lifestyle. I have other health issues that affect strength and stamina, so my exercise isn't strenuous - just enough to keep the muscles strengthened little by little, to keep the joints supple, and to do a little cardio. It's an ongoing process but I take it slow and steady. I keep a moderate calorie intake and don't deprive myself, just make healthier choices and smaller portions. Between the lost weight and the new hip, I feel 20 years younger!
    - Pat
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Pat, That sounds wonderful, congratulations! I'd love to feel 20 years younger (and weigh 45 lbs less). I want to lose weight and exercise for exactly the same reasons--I want full recovery and more supple joints. There's so much that I stopped doing...hiking, walking, organizing the house, etc. I waited too long for the surgery, but as my doctor said, that's water under the bridge.
    Slow and steady, my new mantra...
    Karen
  • Cheryl7777
    Cheryl7777 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen
    I just had hip replacement surgery 3 weeks ago. I lost 108 pounds before the surgery but still have about 100 more to lose. So far my progress is going ok. It hasn't been easy but it is possible. I do think it will be worth it once I'm recovered and gain back my mobility. Good luck with your surgery.
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Hi Cheryl,
    Wow, congratulations! That's wonderful--especially since it's tough to lose weight when movement is painful! I'm about 7 weeks post surgery. Today's been a rough day, but overall things are going well. I can almost walk up the stairs with alternating feet--I think it will happen within a week. Before the surgery I hadn't walked up stairs normally in months, and I'd been struggling with hip pain for years. ...So maybe today wasn't so bad comparatively speaking--there's no denying that the pain has diminished dramatically and my mobility is better.

Good luck with your recovery, Cheryl! It will be worth it.
  • Cheryl7777
    Options
    Hi Cheryl,
    Wow, congratulations! That's wonderful--especially since it's tough to lose weight when movement is painful! I'm about 7 weeks post surgery. Today's been a rough day, but overall things are going well. I can almost walk up the stairs with alternating feet--I think it will happen within a week. Before the surgery I hadn't walked up stairs normally in months, and I'd been struggling with hip pain for years. ...So maybe today wasn't so bad comparatively speaking--there's no denying that the pain has diminished dramatically and my mobility is better.

Good luck with your recovery, Cheryl! It will be worth it.

Thank you. I'm glad to hear your making progress on the stairs. Right now I can't walk up the stairs to my bedroom. There are 10 of them and my legs are still so swollen it feels like they weigh an extra 50 pounds each. I'm doing my exercises and practicing on the stairs twice a day. I have a hard time walking as my house is small and the walker makes it difficult. I sure hope all this will be worth it in the end. I guess I'm suffering some post operation depression too.
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor or nurse about the swelling in your legs? The walker is tough--it's always in the way, but it's helpful,too. I think it will almost certainly be worth it in the end. Everyone I've talked with who has had a hip replacement felt better later. In the meantime, keep doing your exercises--you'll notice a difference everyday (even if it's small). Can you walk outside where there's more space and where, perhaps, the sun will help with your depression. I walked up and down my driveway. It was flat, felt safe, and got me outside. We don't have sidewalks and I live on a hill. I'll be thinking of you.
  • Cheryl7777
    Options
    Have you talked to a doctor or nurse about the swelling in your legs? The walker is tough--it's always in the way, but it's helpful,too. I think it will almost certainly be worth it in the end. Everyone I've talked with who has had a hip replacement felt better later. In the meantime, keep doing your exercises--you'll notice a difference everyday (even if it's small). Can you walk outside where there's more space and where, perhaps, the sun will help with your depression. I walked up and down my driveway. It was flat, felt safe, and got me outside. We don't have sidewalks and I live on a hill. I'll be thinking of you.

I can't walk outside as I live on a hill and my drive way is very steep. My daughter is going to take me some where this weekend that has a walking path. I will be able to get out of the house and get in some walking then. In the mean time I will continue to do my physical therapy exercises every day. My doctor prescribed some lassicks to help with the swelling so maybe I will start to see some improvement. I guess I just want to be normal now and that's just not how it works. Are you still using a walker or are you past that stage? I'm anxious to get back to my weight loss program but don't want to weigh in until some of this swelling and fluid retention goes away. I'll be thinking of you too as this is major surgery and quite a recovery period.

• ilikegardens
    Options
    I know, the recovery takes a while. I no longer use the walker but am using a cane. As time goes on I find myself leaving it behind as I do things like walk across the kitchen. But then I feel sore or stiff and need to look for it. Sigh... Other times I prop it up on a counter, a chair, a table, and it falls--sometimes on my dog, who shadows me closely. Sigh... I'll probably be using it for a while. In the 3 months before my surgery I had finally acknowledged that exercise wasn't fixing my problem, and knowing that I had a lot of damage and pain, decided to minimize the pain until the surgery, which meant I wasn't moving as much as I normally do. So my muscles were weak before the surgery, and then they were cut. While I can walk without the cane, it helps keep my gait even and is really important when I get tired. Enjoy your walk!

About the weight loss--I was pretty swollen before the surgery, and for two weeks after it the water retention continued. Then I lost about 10-12 lbs all at once. And then I started back on MFP and have been losing slowly and steadily.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    ilikegarders & Cheryl, I haven't broken my hip (at least not yet anyway), but I did break my wrist last Dec (15). I have been told that it takes between six & 12 months to get back to normal. Thing of it is, you don't want to try and rush it as you may re-injure yourself and end up worse off then you are now. Need to follow your docs instructions for physical therapy/exercises, etc. The wrist is better but the tendons in my fingers froze and I am still trying to get the use of my hand back (it's usually stiff when I get up in the morning). Small victories are best (I can finally pick up the coffee pot when it is full). We need to remember that we're no longer 25 and can't bounce back like we used too--we'll get there, it will just take a little longer. B)
  • ilikegardens
    Options
    Darn! I want to be 25 again--physically, I mean; I prefer my current emotional state
  • Cheryl7777
    Options
    Yes recovery is a long and slow process. I'll just be glad when my body does release the fluid build up. Everyone just keeps reminding me it takes time. I still can't go up all the stairs to my bedroom and I'm so ready to get back to my own bed. All we can do is just keep working on it.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!