55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    marjtrewin wrote: »
    I am always interrested how many calories people aim for. Mine is 1200 - 1400. I wonder if this is too low. Was over this evening as needed "bulk" . Had a peanut butter sandwich after supper. I think we have to listen to our bodies. So long as we don't totally derail

My daily limit is 1440 and I sometimes eat up to 50 cals more or less. I don't feel deprived and am loosing steadily (am 57 yr old female). It's a great feeling to finally have control over my weight.
  • lynty2
    lynty2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    1Nana2many wrote: »
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I'm 51, but would like to toss out a question if this group doesn't mind. I have not started menopause, but am really anxious about it. It seems like something no one talks about (not even my mom). I have lost 40 pounds with 40 to go to hit 135, which seems about right for my 5'7" frame, but am wondering if it really is significantly harder to lose/maintain once you hit menopause, and what to expect.

Like Trina and Luluinca, I do not really believe that being past menopause has much to do with weight loss. I retired October 1, 2014 from a small town post office job where I was on my feet for the first three hours and very active for much of the day, up and down from desk to window to come home and sit much of my day. I went through a short depression because I really didn't realize how much I associated who I was with what I did for a living. I snacked A LOT out of boredom. Not a good thing. I managed to gain 25 more pounds on top of already being 50 pounds overweight. I finally had had enough about holiday time last December and found MFP. I made the mental commitment to log every bite every day on January 4th of this year. Because I REALLY made that commitment, I am succeeding. I struggle with valuing myself enough as I believe many of us do. I don't trust myself enough yet to input my physical activities because I would give myself permission to overeat and end up back where I started. The hardest thing for me is breaking the habits of saying yes when offered food and not eating when bored.

My advice to you is get a handle on your calories now, where ever you are at in life and stick with it. When you mess up, put it behind you and get back on track. I think if you took a poll of people who have managed to lose the weight, you will find more people who wish they'd done it sooner rather than later. I really do believe it is a simple matter of eating fewer calories than you burn every day. It's ok to taste every food you love at the pot luck, but make it a teaspoon serving, not a cup and be prepared to log it...when you're honest with yourself on how much you really ate, it makes you think twice about whether or not you really need to eat some things. My most needed mantra: "YOU ARE WORTH IT!!!"

Totally agree with your comments
  • 1Nana2many
    1Nana2many Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    @lynty2 I love your smiley sunflower! I am totally prejudiced, being from the sunflower state!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    There are some differences when the hormones change - obviously more when they are in full swing.

Some pointers that are probably some obvious, some interesting, some disbelief.

Video in this link.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10381497/why-so-hard-for-women-to-lose-fat-weight-great-video#latest
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Partially agree with lynty2; it's true that you need to watch the calories and take smaller portions of foods you love at pot lucks (where it's easy to over indulge). But, we still need to enjoy the occasional treat (ice cream, cake, pizza, etc.); it helps to keep us from binging on the item if we know we'll have it (and not totally deny ourselves of it). That's where so many make a mistake; they say "I'm on a diet and can't have ____ (fill in the blank)." We need to remember it is a process, not a "diet" or "project" with an end date. I enjoy cake, ice cream, etc. just not all the time and if I gain a pound or two back I cut back a little till it's gone. I'm 65 and have lost 11 lbs by cutting back on overly processed food (re: canned veggies, frozen veggies w/butter sauce, etc.), quit putting powdered creamer in my coffee (I now use regular half & half). B)
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    I completely agree that you should not give up everything you love, or for that matter anything you love, but I have switched to thin crust pizza for fewer calories, eat pasta a lot less often, and definitely watch my serving sizes. I am still somewhat of a a sugaraholic so I try to keep some sweet treats that I can eat in smaller, known calorie counts so it's easy to know exactly how many calories I am consuming. I have to watch how many snacks I eat or I will eat myself out of calories for the day. I am 59, retired, 5'4" and today was my 160th logging day. I have (as of last Saturday) lost 46.2 pounds and wondered into onederland for the first time in a decade. My calorie goal is 1200 per day and I mostly stick within that limit. At the beginning I was pretty hungry on those calories, but after a couple weeks, it got better and now if I eat too much I get that over-full feeling so that tells me my stomach has adjusted to less food. Logging is easier every day, because as a creature of habit, I am getting quite a list of foods that pop up easily whenever I start typing them in. If you're just starting out, don't give up because it seems time-consuming, it gets faster as you get the foods you eat frequently into the database. REMEMBER...you are worth the effort!!!
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Well, it has been a while since anyone posted here. I have a question that may be TMI, but here goes anyway. Does anyone else get gassy while exercising? :#
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    (Oops, edited to remove duplicate post - internet issues at my house!)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    mk2loser wrote: »
    Well, it has been a while since anyone posted here. I have a question that may be TMI, but here goes anyway. Does anyone else get gassy while exercising? :#

I don't have the sense that exercise causes gas for me, but if there's some in there, certain types of exercise - those that move the midsection a good bit, like yoga & rowing - will . . . um . . . help expel it.
  • virginislander2
    virginislander2 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yoga does it for me.
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    My sister swears that ice in her water causes gas!
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Phew. I thought I was alone with this, thanks!
  • griffinca2
    Options
    No mk, you're not alone! Don't think it is so much the exercising (or ice for that matter), just that we're making better food choices when it comes to eating and some foods have a tendency to cause gas. Some of it may be caused by moving around more (rather than sitting around on our backsides).
  • Eleted
    Eleted Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Can anyone address emotional eating? I would love to hear what works for you when under stress, other than food!!
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    Look at it this way: This is probably why you are no longer on acid reflux meds. And besides, " It's better to belch and bare the shame than not to belch and bare the pain." Don't know if that's an Irish or German saying, but it's true non the less! Insert whatever word you deem appropriate for belch...
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    Eleted wrote: »
    Can anyone address emotional eating? I would love to hear what works for you when under stress, other than food!!

Elected: This is my third try to post a reply. I keep getting too wordy. Below is what I have posted on my refrigerator. It is meant to remind me that the only thing I can actually control is ME. I am an admitted control freak, but in reality, we can only change our own reactions, not what others say or do. I have had to learn that I am worth the effort every single day. I am on this journey to good health for me and part of that journey includes teaching myself to value ME. I AM WORTH the time it takes to make good food choices and to log them every single day, even if I have to do so every day for the rest of my life. When I get angry, I have to learn to evaluate whether or not there is really anything I can actually do about the situation. I have to teach myself not to keep replaying things in my head like a broken record. I have to just let it go, and let God have it. I have to actively choose not to use food as a coping mechanism. I have to choose not to adopt the "who cares, why bother" attitude that I have in the past. It can be tough, but I really don't want to go back there.48hl08xdwemc.jpeg
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
  • 1Nana2many
    Options
    Stupid auto-correct! Eleted.
  • griffinca2
    Options
    Also, the Bible commands us to take care of our bodies; see I Cor 6:19-20, I Cor 10:31, and one I saw this morning in my Journey devotional; 3 John 1:2. I look at it this way, would you put trash in your place of worship's sanctuary?? I'm not saying giving up occasional treats (cake, ice cream, pizza, etc.); just watch your portions and don't eat it every day. I usually have dark (60% caco) chips after dinner; I measure out the portion and put the bag away. If you mess up (and you will), forget about it and start over. It's a journey! B)
  • mk2fit
    Options
    @Eleted, I never have been an emotional eater, quite the opposite. BUT, I am an emotional everything elser. Is that a word? Anyway, I imagine it is like smoking, drinking and whatever else you/we/I can think of. If you are not a praying person, maybe read a book/magazine. Or take a walk, or some other exercise. Call a friend, or get on here and ask for some help. Have a drink of water or eat an apple or carrot. It does get easier as you go along your journey and we will all be here to cheer you on.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!