55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    @Lizzyislighter I agree with Ann. Losing weight will make you feel soo good! BTW, I never considered hormone replacement so I can't help you there.

@alexshir I, too, am an ex-smoker and a runner as well as a believer in youtube videos. Congrats and you are doing a great job of getting in shape. Happy almost birthday :smile:
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Agree w/mk2!! B)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    lvanhoutan wrote: »
    Hello all! I am 54 and started MFP many many years ago. I would loose the weight just to put it back on. My come to Jesus moment happened on July 5th when my doctor said you have got to loose weight or I am going to put you on diabetes meds. WELL that's the motivation I needed. Down 13 lbs so far in 6 weeks. I have been doing water aerobics. BUT I am starting to feel those old urges to eat. I love sweets and it is a daily struggle for me. Does anyone have good snack ideas or good low carb dinner ideas? I started this journey at 272 and am now at 259.

I'm not a low-carb-er (doesn't play extremely well with vegetarianism, and I've been veg for 43 years), but I do prefer protein snacks.

Some I like:
    • Crispy chickpeas, homemade or commercial (have some carbs, but also protein & fiber; commercial ones come in flavors).
    • Pea or bean snack crisps (such as Harvest Snaps or World Peas brands; they do have some carbs)
    • Reasonable (i.e. small) portions of seeds or nuts (look around at a large grocery store or health food store; nuts & seeds come in many delicious flavors these days)
    • Individual serving cheeses (string cheese is easy to find, but large groceries may also have individual real goat cheese, cheddar, queso fresco, fresh mozzarella pearls, Jarlsberg, fontina, and more)
    • Hummus & raw veggies (hummus has some carbs, but also fiber so they're not as quick acting)
    • Dry roasted soybeans (also come in flavors)
    • Puppodums (it's an Indian cracker like thing made from chickpea flour, so low carbs, low calorie, and a bit of protein. I buy Sharwood's brand, and microwave them without oil, which makes them wrinkled & crispy. One is about the size of a small corn tortilla, but has only 20 calories. They tend to be salty.)
    Those are a few I can think of off the top of my head. There are other ones that meat-eaters like, from what I've read, such as tuna or jerky, but as I'm vegetarian that's not my best knowledge base. ;)
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    debtay123 wrote: »
    Hello
    I was told to do my "strength" training first- then do cardio next so I would not get to tired out and do the strength training without proper form- so thatis what i have been doing- I try for at least 45 minutes all together- I may do 25 min strength and 20 minutes cardio--- is this a correct way to do it?

This is an excellent idea. I'm in sort of a 'rehab'/conditioning program, where my trainer has me doing 35 minutes of cardio and some strength training. The elliptical is one of my assigned machines and I'm very tired after doing my cardio and can barely face my strength training. I'm only in my 2nd week, so I'm sure my endurance will improve, but nonetheless, this is an excellent idea for me.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    @lvanhoutan
    String cheese, yogurt, carrots, turkey breast, boiled eggs all are good snacks, as well as a handful of nuts. I used to keep a big dark chocolate bar in the fridge and break off a square each night to satisfy my sweet tooth. Keep in mind all carbs are not bad. I have found a good recipe for a chicken rice broccoli cheese casserole that is tasty and low cal/fat.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    @Ivanhoutan I don't have a sweet tooth (although I do enjoy them) but I do have a serious carb issue - chips, pasta, bread, etc. I find on a high fat diet I have more energy and zero cravings. Doesn't work for everybody but it sure is working for me.
  • fleapowder
    fleapowder Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree the low carb diet leaves you with no cravings.
  • AnnPT77
    edited August 2017
    Options
    fleapowder wrote: »
    I agree the low carb diet leaves you with no cravings.

It's been some time since I tried it, but low carb put me in an absolute fever of cravings. I lost weight fine (and fairly fast) with moderate carbs . . . probably 150-200g daily most days, but I dunno as I never explicitly tried to control them, just to hit my protein, fat, and veggie/fruit minimums, plus my calorie goal.

Satiation seems to be very individual.
  • mk2fit
    Options
    Oh, I dunno. Carbs fuel my runs, protein builds my muscles. Hard to say and I'm not usually a macro person. As to cravings, they vary between carbs and proteins. I am different from @AnnPT77 in that I am an omnivore and bacon is really hard to deny.
  • Shron123
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - I am not an expert by any stretch as still new to LCHF but for me I believe I am very carb sensitive although have no health issues at all - eg not diabetic, no high blood pressure, etc but way overweight. So, I track religiously and keep my carbs at 20g or less which comes mainly from veg - no fruit at all until I lose a chunk of weight and hopefully get my insulin under control. I am still a little confused about the fat/protein ratio as I want to burn my own fat rather than get it all from my diet so right now kinda doing 50% protein w 30% fat but with my body also using my stored body fat I am getting way more fat than protein. Sick of dieting so started this as a lifestyle change and the more research I do the more I believe it was the right choice for me.
  • Shron123
    Options
    @mk2fit - For the last 4 years I always preloaded carbs before our endurance rides. I started LCHF July 3rd. Two weeks ago I did my first event w/o carbs, a 20 mile ride and this past weekend a 25 mile ride both with less than 20g of carbs per day AND I didn't eat until the half way point (cheese, homemade beef jerky). I did make sure to elyte with extra salt and loads of water. I was amazed at how much energy I still had after the finish line. Loads more than with carbs. I am very impressed w how I feel eating like this ..... and I'm losing weight.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    @AnnPT77 - I am not an expert by any stretch as still new to LCHF but for me I believe I am very carb sensitive although have no health issues at all - eg not diabetic, no high blood pressure, etc but way overweight. So, I track religiously and keep my carbs at 20g or less which comes mainly from veg - no fruit at all until I lose a chunk of weight and hopefully get my insulin under control. I am still a little confused about the fat/protein ratio as I want to burn my own fat rather than get it all from my diet so right now kinda doing 50% protein w 30% fat but with my body also using my stored body fat I am getting way more fat than protein. Sick of dieting so started this as a lifestyle change and the more research I do the more I believe it was the right choice for me.

I'm glad you've found an approach that's working great for you! There are many different variations of healthy eating, and I completely support anyone who's picked one of those that works well for them, even if it's different from my own. As @mk2fit points out, not everyone wants to be an ovo-lacto vegetarian eating plenty of protein and 10+ daily servings of fruit/veg ;) , but it works great for me!

I'm afraid I can't help you much with macros, since I'm not low carb. My impression is that most low carb-ers go high fat (LCHF), otherwise you're going to have to be eating a powerful big lot of protein, since your calories need to come from some macro ;) . That's not a terrible thing for someone without medical conditions that limit protein, but it does tend to be the most expensive macro. ;)

Personally, as an aging, active vegetarian, I do put a high priority on protein. I like to get at minimum 0.8g per pound of goal weight now that I'm in maintenance (about 100g in round numbers for me) but on fewer calories I went for 0.6-0.8g per pound of goal weight and got the higher value as often as possible.

I also eat 0.35-0.45g fat minimum per pound of goal weight daily, and try to get a good fraction of that from things like olive oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, etc. My other priority is to get a minimum of 5 fruit/veggie servings daily, and prefer 10+ most days.

Since I don't low carb, I just let carbs fall where they may to hit my calorie goal.

I calculate my protein & fat targets in grams and eat to those, just setting my MFP percents to come out close to those numbers.

I think you'll lose fat fine while eating fat, as long as you're in a calorie deficit. With adequate protein, strength-preserving exercise, and a conservative calorie deficit/loss rate, you minimize lean tissue burn, Your body's got to make up for your deficit somehow, and stored fat is the obvious answer.

Good luck - I hope you'll get some input from experienced low carb-ers and get your macro situation sorted! :)
  • mk2fit
    Options
    What @AnnPT77 said
  • Magical57
    Magical57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and have bad knees. I am off and on with trying to lose weight. But really need to lose weight and need the inspiration. I am trying to avoid knee replacement. I will if I have to. But first have to lose weight. I would like to join this group. I am 5' 2" and need to lose atleast 30 lbs.
  • Magical57
    Magical57 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am so lost about all the exercise info here. So many new terms. I am 60 and need to lose weight. I am inspired by the stories here. But really don't know where to start. With my knee problem I get tired after going to a store or standing for too long. I really need some one experienced and who has gone through this to friend me on this journey who will understand where I am coming from.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,905 Member
    Options
    kwtlw wrote: »
    I am so lost about all the exercise info here. So many new terms. I am 60 and need to lose weight. I am inspired by the stories here. But really don't know where to start. With my knee problem I get tired after going to a store or standing for too long. I really need some one experienced and who has gone through this to friend me on this journey who will understand where I am coming from.

I am 59 now and 5'2". My knees were REALLY bothering me when I started out. I decided to get a fitbit with heart rate capability to keep track of moving a little bit more and also start the couch to 5K. If you have actually injuries to your knees of course you need to be very careful, but as you lose I bet they start to feel better. Just keep track and log carefully. You can do it! Slow but steady.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!