55-65 year old women's success?

Options

Replies

• Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    @Skyweigh We had a controversial saying back in the day ... No Pain No Gain. Though unpopular it really is true. In my life I have found that since it "hurts" when you do and has way more negative consequences when you don't, I just keep going. I have learned you can be chronically ill and in pain and still exercise within your range and it doesn't kill you.

Best tip of the day is to learn core engagement and use it all day long to strengthen back and abdominal girdle, assist when standing from a sitting position, relieve the strain of lifting improperly and allow you to convert bending from waist into squat and safe lift. Plus nice figure without situps.

A series of Pilates classes which focus on engagement for most moves will give you a safe environment with professional feedback while you master this skill.
  • bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i have never tried a pogo stick but i tried kangaroo shoes once -- they were super fun and no stress at all on my leg or joints, but amazingly good aerobic exercise.

http://kangoo-jumps.com/
    @cathy120861, I never heard of these shoes before. I went to their site and watched one of the videos; it does look like fun. Where did you find them to try?
  • cathy120861
    cathy120861 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bonnie -- my sister took me on a spa weekend last year and they had them there. It was a 40 minute class and i only made it for about half an hour -- it got my heart rate way up in no time. She is taking me away to the same place again over Easter weekend and i cant wait to try them now that i am in much better shape.
  • cathy120861
    Options
    Anybody interested in joining a biggest loser challenge? they have a new one starting up this coming monday and i would love to see some familiar faces.
  • cowleyl
    cowleyl Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Anybody interested in joining a biggest loser challenge? they have a new one starting up this coming monday and i would love to see some familiar faces.
    I'd love to. What do I have to do?

• sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I participated in the last 2 but am passing on this one, if you mean the Team challenge. I don't lose at a regular pace anymore and hate to "hurt" my team. If you like weekly challenges you'll like these Biggest Loser challenges because someone usually comes up with something that everyone on the team is encouraged to do.

Kendalslimmer is leading the challenge @cowleyl so you can "find" her under the member search and ask for an invite to the group.

55835802.png
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Best tip of the day is to learn core engagement and use it all day long to strengthen back and abdominal girdle, assist when standing from a sitting position, relieve the strain of lifting improperly and allow you to convert bending from waist into squat and safe lift. Plus nice figure without situps.

A series of Pilates classes which focus on engagement for most moves will give you a safe environment with professional feedback while you master this skill.
    ^^^^
    | | | | Echo this. A few years ago (when I was going through menopause actually) I was on an everyday Pilates challenge, and did a bit of mat Pilates every day without fail for a month and a half. It was really transformative to feel that girdle. Since then, I've fallen away, but still do some of those exercises with my yoga -- just not nearly as much!

Now, I am trying to learn all over again to do classic squats, lunges, pushups. I did these exercises (or reasonable attempts!) for years as part of aerobics classes (with free weights). Now I am revisiting these (more carefully, and with a heavier body) with a view toward muscle-building (more weights).

For me, over the years, I've had a chance to work with many approaches to exercise/fitness -- all valuable in themselves. Each type requires rethinking and often a fresh "start" although this is an ongoing process, and an educational one, as with learning to eat more healthily.

• cathy120861
    Options
    I am excited about it. you get points for every ten minutes of exercise and there are tons of challenges that involve healthy behavior, regardless of weight loss. There is one where you set your own activity challenge, another where you make a list of the things you want to work on and they make it into a bingo card for you, another where you post pictures (not necessarily of yourself. they can be of your healthy breakfast, equipment you have used or a class you will take). also one that involves being active on the group boards. There are tons more, those are just hte ones i was thinking of trying. and you can do the challenges on a week by week basis, so you arent committed for the whole six weeks of the season.

I will check to find out the link. it is a new group called Biggest Loser 17. The person who i contacted was Will, whose screen name is Will32283.
  • cathy120861
    Options
    cowleyl wrote: »

I will give your name to one of the folks in charge and he will send you an invitation.
    Anybody else?

• cowleyl
    Options
    cowleyl wrote: »

I will give your name to one of the folks in charge and he will send you an invitation.
    Anybody else?
    Thanks Cathy!

• bonniepwest
    bonniepwest Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm going to pass on this one. I'm not very competitive (except with myself!) Keep us posted, though.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I want to join!!! I just turned 63 three weeks ago. So far I have lost nothing :# I go to the gym 3xs a week, every week. I lift weights and I walk for 30 mins. on the treadmill. If I try to jog, my knee acts up. I have a slight tear. These past few days I started logging my food for the umpteenth time. I do not allow for exercise calories. I have been over for the past 2 days in my calories. I just can't seem to get it together.
  • cathy120861
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Odirish -- let me know if you dont get an invitation by teh end of the day.
    Cowleyl -- did you get an invitation?
  • cowleyl
    Options
    Odirish -- let me know if you dont get an invitation by teh end of the day.
    Cowleyl -- did you get an invitation?
    I did but when I clicked on it, the invitation disappeared and I couldn't find the page. I re-sent my request, but I was too late to start. Apparently the next one is in June. Thanks for following up. :-)

• cathy120861
    Options
    did Will tell you it was too late to start? cause i know plenty of people are still joining. i will check with him.
  • odirish
    Options
    I wasn't concerned so much about the challenge, I just wanted to join the thread haha..
  • sodakat
    Options
    odirish wrote: »
    I wasn't concerned so much about the challenge, I just wanted to join the thread haha..

Glad to have you here! Sure sounds like you have the exercise part down! How far over your daily calories are you? Because maybe you are still at a deficit. I mean if you set your loss for 2 pounds a week, lower it to just 1 pound so you get to eat more.

Also, if you do go over, just carry on. It will get easier I'll bet. Don't quit just because you ate more than you planned.

55835802.png
  • odirish
    Options
    I do like exercising. I have been going to the gym for about 16 years now. I feel guilty if I miss. I was over maybe 200 to 350 calories. I agree I probably do have a deficit but I don't want to use the exercise calories . I am wondering though if 1200 calories is enough. I thought I'd track this week and if my weight stays the same all week, I'll bump it up by maybe 100 or 200 calories. I'm not really sure about that. It could be the reason I am not losing also.
  • sodakat
    Options
    odirish wrote: »
    ...I am wondering though if 1200 calories is enough. I thought I'd track this week and if my weight stays the same all week, I'll bump it up by maybe 100 or 200 calories. I'm not really sure about that. It could be the reason I am not losing also.

I don't think I understand what you are getting at here. Are you saying that you think if you are not losing it means you are not eating ENOUGH? How would that work? I'd be more concerned that you may not be logging accurately and are actually eating more than you think.

But if not, and if you are truly eating just 1200 calories and you know your body burns more than that, then you should indeed be losing.

55835802.png
  • odirish
    Options
    But if I'm not eating enough calories due to strength training and cardio, my weight would stall because my body needs more fuel and I'm not giving it. Does that make sense? I know girls who lift weights and eat around 2000 calories. I'm gonna track this week and see if I have any loss at all. If not I'll bump the calories up and try that for a week and see if that helps.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!