How much weight loss to see a noticeable difference!?

Options
Hi all, I know everyone is different, but how much weight do you think one would need to lose for other people to really notice that you've lost weight? I've lost a total of 3stone so far (aka 42lbs - going from 154lbs to 112lbs) and my family, friends and colleagues haven't noticed!! I don't think I look much different and I'm still a uk clothes size 12-14....I don't get it?? :(

Replies

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? How fast did you lose that amount?

Are you doing this for yourself or for others approval? What are your non-scale related goals? When it comes down to it, the scale is only a unit of measurement. It's only our relationship with the earth. What matters more is our mental state and happiness. Surely, you're at a healthy weight at this point. Did you track your measurements?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Hi if your clothes still fit, and your body shape is the same it would be hard for them to notice.
    I know when I went from 130 to 105 I needed a whole new wardrobe.
    I did cardio and weight bearing exercises as I lost, and that helped me re-shape my body.
    Have you done any exercise? If not try adding some weight bearing exercise. it will help in re shaping your body and improve your fitness level.
    Cheers, h
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm 5ft 4 and I've lost it slowly over 2 years -but from jan 14 to jan 15 I lost 16lbs. I'm doing it for myself because I hate myself and I thought by losing this amount it would have started to notice. It would have been nice to have some encouraging comments from my family, but they say I look the same. I need to push myself harder. I've only lost a couple of inches if that over the last 2 years whilst doing this. My old size 12 trousers fall down but when I went clothes shopping I couldn't fit into a size 10 so had to buy a size 12 and they're even abit snug :(
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You've lost 25% of your bodyweight and they haven't noticed?

What do their guide dogs think?

Bahahaha @herrspoons‌ . That gave me a belly laugh! !

I started at 165lbs. People started noticing when I got down to 143lbs. So, 22lbs
    . It also depends how quickly you lose it. If it's really slow n steady people are less likely to notice.
    I lost my weight in 2mths, so was a bit quicker

• Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    This is baffling to me. I would not be losing more weight, if I were you. I'm not quite sure how you haven't lost jean sizes. I'm 5'3.5 " and I went from 170 lbs and 16s to 120 lbs and 0-2s. Even without exercise, you should have seen a jean size change, at least. Did you take measurements? Where fat comes off from as we lose is genetics but I'm not quite understanding this.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    42 pounds is awesome but over two years people may not notice. Any weight loss you do is for you and no one else.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Perhaps they have noticed but have not said anything. After all, some people consider it rude to comment on others peoples weight. I put on 25kg and nobody in my family or friends said a word. It works both ways. Keep doing what you are doing to get to your goal.
  • elorac26
    elorac26 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    42 pounds is a tremendous achievement. Are you happy? Are you proud? Are you more energetic? Are you strong? Get support here and rock on!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you lost 3 stone and are in a 12, they've noticed.

In many circles, it is considered rude to talk to someone about their body unless you are intimate with that person. You can say, "You look fantastic!", but that's about it. Maybe the people you hang with are the type to not blurt out comments about someone's body?

If you really want to know if they can tell, tell someone you're friendly with that you've been working on it and ask if they see any difference. :)
  • ea15792
    ea15792 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've lost about 45lbs and only some of my female co-workers have commented. And, all the co-workers that commented knew I was trying to eat heather. But, just because someone doesn't comment to you doesn't mean they don't notice, especially in the work place. Many people don't want to ask and be accused of asking an inappropriate question. I am surprised with that big a loss that your close family haven't commented (although I have several family members who haven said anything).
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'm down 13 lbs and people can notice. Depends on the person losing, the persons noticing or not and people's willingness to comment. As long as you can see results then you are on the right track...~!~
  • xomg660
    xomg660 Posts: 6
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It depends on what you wanted from the weight loss really. Did you want to do it to look better, get healthier or did you do it for other people? I suggest you look at photos before all the weight loss, doing this for me really helped me see how much I changed over the last several months.
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    5'4 110 lbs size 10-12 U.K are you sure?? i don't know about the size stuff but with those numbers i wouldn't lose a single pound more, but again it's you and what makes you feel comfortable.

about people noticing , maybe they don't want to bring it up or are afraid to comment about it, you said you did lose it slowly so maybe because they see you daily that they gradually got use to your changes, dunno but i'll say that the ones that point out and potentially could notice it quickly are those that haven't seen in you in a while.
  • fatfox13
    fatfox13 Posts: 30 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'm most confused over the fact that the scales have gone down so much but my clothes size and body remains the same!? -154lbs and a uk size 12 and now at 112 and STILL a uk size 12. I still feel very uncomfortable and overweight. I bought a fitted sequin dress to wear in New York for New Year's Eve (I was on holiday with my friend) be ause I'd never worn anything like it before but (stupidly) thought I could pull it off as I'd lost 3 stone....My friends face was a picture when I stepped out of the hotel room and said it didn't look ok and suggested I wore something else :( He has been my friend for 10yrs so I trust him.

My family are very quick to comment on things, and the hey are not afraid of being rude by commenting on weight as some of you may have suggested.

Ps! I've looked at the rare photos of myself I have and look the same. I've even started taking weight loss progress pics and for experiments sake did one over the course of losing 9lbs and you can't even tell
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    -154lbs and a uk size 12 and now at 112 and STILL a uk size 12. not trying to sound annoying but OMG i didn't even know if that is possible, to lose so much weight and the same size? the only thing that comes to head is maybe to try different brands , you'll be surprise how some differ from one to other

the other thing!? :\ im sorry but have to say it, you have lost 42 effing pounds, embrace it, love your self in whatever size you are, don't lose energy in other people thoughts, focus on your self, not because we are slim every single piece of clothes gonna look nice, find your style and things that work with your body.

good luck
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Can you post a couple of pics so we can tell you if we can see the difference?
    Could you please let us know if you worked out at all during your weightloss. This would make quite a difference to your body composition.

Like the body you are in and workout to make it better, you don't need to lose anymore.
    Cheers, h.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Did you do any sort of exercise during this time? It doesn't really add up--the weight loss coupled with not getting smaller. The only thing I can think of is "skinny fat" but it still boggles the mind. Try lifting heavy.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't make sense... I too would like to see before and after pictures.
    I've lost 10kgs ( 22lbs ), and have gone down 3 sizes. From size 14 to size 8
  • Marianna93637
    Marianna93637 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs and it totally shows. Others noticed it as well. It shows in my face, and most of the weight went from the place I gained most: my belly, my waist, hips and back. My back is leaner again, and getting my hourglass shape back. It's about 5 % of my starting weight. Your 42 lbs should show. Something's wrong with your friends' eyes.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Your goal is 108lbs.

I am 5'4 as well, and both of us being that weight would put us right on the cusp of being underweight. I encourage you to reconsider your goals, and to address why you need/want acknowledgment for your weight loss. It is an accomplishment in itself, and something you should be proud of. If you are feeling insecure or upset, and still feel like you have more weight to lose, I really encourage you to speak to a therapist about your feelings. I say this because your profile describes a woman disappointed and disgusted in herself, and those are not good feelings to have at your current weight; as a quote, you say you are "so disgusting" and are miserable.

Please speak to someone.