Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• luishernandez345
    Options
    my clothes stopped fitting me and people around me started noticing before Me.
  • grshaadi
    grshaadi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am here due to bad health and want to get better. I have high BP, some heart problem, arthritis and am pre diabetic, and overweight. I weigh 80 kgs. Currently I am on sick leave from work. My daughter got me this MFP and am thankful she did. I joined about 2 weeks ago but joined the community recently. Am not able to exercise much due to the pains but am trying to eat better. So far I have only lost one kg. I like reading the posts as am trying to learn. I am also trying Ayurveda, a 5000 science from India. Yoga as you know is a part of Ayurveda. I am from India originally and am told Ayurveda has the cure whereas Western medicine only can control an illness. In any case eating right and loosing weight is important in all cases. Any help or support will be appreciated.
  • KitchyWitchy
    KitchyWitchy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Watching my A1 C slowing climbing was the final straw. I do not want to be diabetic.
  • JDubbs2
    JDubbs2 Posts: 3,789 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 28 years, drank around 88oz. of soda a day, and ate whatever and whenever I wanted.
    I felt horrible all the time. Constantly out of breath, fatigued, and headaches. Severe sleep apnea has resulted in having to use a cpap machine. Having to wear the cpap mask has been uncomfortable and awkward. (I feel like a very obese Darth Vader)
    My journey began 2 1/2 weeks ago. I quit smoking, no soda, (black coffee and water only) started cardio, and counting calories which has forced me to make healthier food choices.
    Although my journey has just begun, I already feel sooo much better. I have dropped around ten pounds and I can breathe a lot easier. I will never look back.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm 23, and last year when I went to both my gynocologist for my yearly check up and my Primary Care for my yearly check up they BOTH wanted to test me for cholesterol and diabetes. As well as the fact that my thyroid is visibly enlarged (I have an unsightly lump on my neck where my thyroid is) definitely scaring me quite severely. Despite all my blood work coming back 100% okay and an ultrasound only showing several very tiny benign nodules around my thyroid, it was just a huge wake up call. Like wow.

I'm hoping losing weight will hopefully reduce the size of my thyroid and prevent me from developing any future health problems.

Also because I feel like I'm hard to love and it makes it a strain on all my personal relationships because of my horrendously low self esteem. Since starting I do like myself a lot more and I feel like it's starting to show finally in my relationships. Still a ways to go til I love myself 100% but we will get there, no matter what.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    samgamgee wrote: »
    I had been vaguely dieting on and off for a while, then winter 2014 I went totally off the rails and put on about a stone. I knew I wanted to lose weight but hadn't fully committed, was being a bit wishy washy... Then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror from behind, naked and thought 'holy back fat, Batman!' For some reason that really cemented things for me, like I had gradually seen my body and face change but I rarely see my back so the difference from my mental image of myself was more of a shock.

It's all those second breakfasts! :lol:
  • lil_knittingowl7
    Options
    For me there are several reasons. Not feeling well everyday,like stiff and tired for the biggest part of the day. All of a sudden I developed crazy heartburn and feet hurt from the weight. I hate looking in the mirror and seeing this little apron of fat forming. I am starting to look like my mother and not in a good way. I am only 31 and I want to be healthy and hot! LoL
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just looking at a photo of myself from this summer. My face is just too round. I don't look like my self image anymore. Time to turn that around.

I'm usually not that self-conscious about pictures of myself. This was a new feeling.
  • deaddolly
    deaddolly Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    My 26 year old daughter taking after me, as far as weight goes was my first motivator.. I want her to be healthy. I knew if I started, she would follow. Also, my last doctor visit - I was pre-diabetic. Scary. We're all in this together.
  • Cindy01Louisiana
    Cindy01Louisiana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    A few things - 1. When I had to put all of my regular sized clothes up in the closet; 2. When I started getting angry at what I saw in the mirror; 3. When I started having much less desire to be undressed with my SO; and the big one, 4. When I could feel my back fat rubbing against its own rolls.
  • BoogeyBrat
    BoogeyBrat Posts: 212 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My moment came when my doctor told me I was prediabetic. I was also beginning to snore, something I've never done unless I was sick with an upper respiratory infection. After I dropped 20 pounds and remedied those issues, it was the realization that I COULD do it, as well as vanity that spurred me on to lose the rest.
  • grshaadi
    grshaadi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    jas3walk wrote: »
    I smoked for 28 years, drank around 88oz. of soda a day, and ate whatever and whenever I wanted.
    I felt horrible all the time. Constantly out of breath, fatigued, and headaches. Severe sleep apnea has resulted in having to use a cpap machine. Having to wear the cpap mask has been uncomfortable and awkward. (I feel like a very obese Darth Vader)
    My journey began 2 1/2 weeks ago. I quit smoking, no soda, (black coffee and water only) started cardio, and counting calories which has forced me to make healthier food choices.
    Although my journey has just begun, I already feel sooo much better. I have dropped around ten pounds and I can breathe a lot easier. I will never look back.

Great news. How did you stop smoking. I need to stop as well. Thanks
  • sbrooks0387
    sbrooks0387 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i was tired of always feeling like the large person in a group. for some reason my 5 feet 5 inches already makes me taller than a lot of women i am around and being heavy does not help me not feel like a giant. plus i want to be able to buy cute cloths again and actually wear them cause i like i how i look in them.

so far i have lost 15 pounds, and when hubby and i went on a "date" this past weekend. i wore a dress. a dress i have had for 2 or 3 years that still had the tags on it!
  • RebekahRN83
    RebekahRN83 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am 33 years old but felt 80. I had to use both my arms to help push myself up out of chairs because my legs couldn't handle it on their own
  • JDubbs2
    JDubbs2 Posts: 3,789 Member
    Options
    grshaadi wrote: »
    jas3walk wrote: »

Great news. How did you stop smoking. I need to stop as well. Thanks

Sheer determination. Being able to breathe better has opened my eyes. Also, I have been so invested in the weight lose thing that I haven't had as much time to think about smoking
  • JHALLISGETTINGsmall
    Options
    1. Don't want to be with bad health like my parents.
    2. Airplane seats, concerts, chairs at work - tight fit
    3. Shopping for clothes - sick of plus size stores
    4. dread going to the doctor- want to be proud when I go
  • janellsosajs
    janellsosajs Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My parents having different aliments this past year, failed relationships back to back, and the fact that my daughter was starting to pick up my bad eating habits. I can't take care of anyone else if I'm just as bad off or a hypocrite nor can I really love anyone if I can't love myself. Huge wake up call!! It's a life style change not just a weight loss journey.
  • josephskop
    josephskop Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The scale read 300 and I said tilt this is to high. I started my journey at that moment
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    cuz I was fat
  • wildeyezz
    wildeyezz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    A rude relative called me fat to my face on several occasions and then one day I just decided to show her. She did me a favor that she probably regrets now.