March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for your reply. I'm going to start building in a hill run each week I think. I already live in a hilly area so never get to run flat. Just without knowing this course I'm worried the hills will be mountains :D
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well, my car was ready to be picked up at lunch time, so I didn't get a lunch walk. So far I've logged only 3.7 "real" walking miles (not the ambient walking around that still counts towards steps but isn't what I consider a real walk). I have 11,700 steps so far today, which is rather paltry for me.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    1/3/17 3.4m - faceplant!!!!
    2/3/17 2.7m
    4/3/14 9.8m
    5/3/17 2.9m
    8/3/17 3.8m
    9/3/17 4m
    11/3/17 10.5m
    15/3/17 3.5m
    16/3/17 5.1m

Totals: 46.1/70

Target 70 miles

Planned races -

29.4.17 HM Coastal Trail Series Pembrokeshire FULL!!!
    7.5.17 HM-ish The Ox Wiltshire.
    8.7.17 Cider Frolic?
    30.7.17 HM-ish Dorset Invader
    27.8.17 East Farm Frolic

Ran with my club last night, off road, through the trees across fields with plenty of up and down-y stuff. I find myself struggling running with them, but it does mean I vary where I am in the group so I get to talk to different people during the run depending on how tired I am or how slowly I’m going!!! We tend to start and finish at a pub, so I get a beer and a burger for my troubles after.

I’ve been having issues lately where the more I run the slower I seem to be getting and the harder it is. I don’t get into my stride until 2miles into a run so I’m wondering how to get my body better at handling it.

Do I – continue with the running four days a week, with one long run? Or – do I run everyday but limit myself to 1-2 miles a day, with two of those days being longer (one proper long run, and one sort of halfway to that)? I just can’t work out how to better condition my body. At the moment the only other activities I am doing is one (intense) dance class and a T’ai Chi session. I’m building to a HM so I am concerned about the balance of my runs (looks like my long run is coming out at around 50% of my weekly mileage!!)

@girlinahat

Often it's a good thing not to get into your stride till later. Helps the muscles warm up.

As for your group, maybe they're too quick for you. I don't run with some of my friends because they are just too fast, and it's not good for me to try keeping up with them on their "easy" runs.

And on your plan, are you making sure 80% of your runs are easy? If you're aiming for a distance PB, you need time on your feet, slowly.

I'd like to know what percentage of our weekly total others think our long runs should be.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'd like to know what percentage of our weekly total others think our long runs should be.
    I do no more than 33%.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I do no more than 33%.

Thanks. That sounds reasonable.

Just had a thought. It might be different when you're tapering. You don't want to run 80 km in addition to a marathon that week.