March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    thanks @WhatMeRunning for that.

I guess my problem is that I tend to run before work so have a time limit on my distance. And I am keen to get the miles covered.

But the more I read about it the more convinced I am that as you say, the way to do the cushioning is to run more days a week. I recently found an idea that I may try to ease myself into it from here

so a schedule of Short, Medium, Long - with Long being 3x the length of Short, and Medium 2x the length of Short running on a programme of S,M,S,M,S,L Rest.

as a start (I was planning on dropping the distance of my long run this weekend anyway):

Monday - S - 15minutes
    Tuesday - M - 30 minutes
    Wednesday - S - 15 minutes
    Thursday - M - 30 minutes
    Friday - S - 15 minutes
    Saturday - L - 45 minutes
    Sunday - Rest

then after a few weeks I increase the Short run to 20 minutes and the others accordingly. I can do about a maximun of 45 minutes in my morning run

I'm going to try this for a few weeks to up the running. By running more days it gives me a higher percentage of runs on my non-long run days. I did a 10mile run the other day so in terms of getting round my planned HM I'm not too worried (it's supposed to be one of the hilliest and hardest there is, remind me why I signed up?)

I also know I AM pushing too hard on all of my runs. Hence the focus on time NOT distance.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I use Sport Tracks for their heatlh graph feature showing fitness and fatigue levels. I particularly like that you can plan forward 30 days of runs and it will estimate those future levels to help with modifying or tweaking your training. I'm also a Strava premium member but was unaware of that new feature. I'll have to check that out.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Well, I am sick. It hit me yesterday afternoon with congestion and sneezing. I am going to take my first day off of exercise in 48 days. Not a bad streak.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @garygse Thanks.

Hoping for a successful and enjoyable 7 mile run tomorrow.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Got a question. Garmin is showing the race today (well-established, well-marked, so I don't question the distance) as 6.18 miles - but my race partner kicked my *kitten* bigly, and I finished in 57:52, which is my first sub-60 10K.

Do I fudge Garmin to add that ~100 feet, and thus get my Strava achievement, or get Bonnie to kick my *kitten* again next time and make sure that we do 6.25 miles?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    No run for me today. My original plan had had me aiming for 11 miles, but fatigue had suggested I cut it back to 6/7, but after a tough club run on Thursday night I've decided to listen to what my legs are saying and ease off on myself.

I am planning a hike with some friends tomorrow and the weather is miserable, plus there's the last few games of the 6 Nations on TV (are we really at 92 minutes and France are still in with a chance? - what is going on?!!!!! A bite?!!!!!).

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    No run for me today. My original plan had had me aiming for 11 miles, but fatigue had suggested I cut it back to 6/7, but after a tough club run on Thursday night I've decided to listen to what my legs are saying and ease off on myself.
    Oh, yeah. You and me BOTH! I still need 4.3 to meet my goal for the week. I'll walk it if I have to.