March 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Added 5.05 miles tonight. Stopped twice to fix this knee brace that wouldn't stay on. I think for the race on Sat., I'm going to wear shorts because that will make adjustments faster and easier.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Mine is Sept 28th. We're both Libras!!

September 28 is my favorite day in the world. Why? It's the day my only child was born.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Mine is Sept 28th. We're both Libras!!

September 28 is my favorite day in the world. Why? It's the day my only child was born.

Awww!! So glad to share a birthday with your kiddo!! <3

Also, so happy the run made you feel better. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that you get on the right medications that prevent the anxiety and panic attacks. Hugs!!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    6.1 miles while the young'un had soccer practice. Planned on 12 but a mix up on who was picking him up made me cut it short. I'll go long tomorrow. Strava says 6.5 because I forgot to stop my Garmin at the end of the run. I can't remember that happening before.

It was a warm, sweaty run. I had forgotten how much I love being drenched in sweat after a run.

188/210 miles

@lporter229 if you were to go short because you feared failing to go 20, wouldn't you then be worried during your race because you didn't get that 20 in?

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @lporter229 - If you're feeling beat up and wondering whether you should scale back a run, you definitely should scale it back. At this point, less is more. The fact that your pace has slowed is also an indicator that you're pretty beat up. Back off, start the taper early, taper lower than planned, rest up, get healthy. You'll be glad you did on Patriots' Day.

One of the things that is striking me this training cycle is that I'm in much better shape than I was last year. Part of that is because I'm retired, getting enough sleep consistently, and under much less stress. And part of it is because I'm not training as hard as I did last year for various reasons that weren't part of any grand training plan. Last year, Coach had me start tapering a week early because I had beat myself up so bad. I didn't really understand it at the time, but in hindsight that might have prevented a DNF.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    3/1 – 7.32 easy with hills
    3/2 – 13.10 long intervals
    3/3 – rest day
    3/4 – 16.09 paced run
    3/5 – 12.67 easy with hills
    3/6 – rest day
    3/7 – 10.20 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/8 – 7.02 easy
    3/9 – 14.25 easy with MP finish
    3/10 – rest day
    3/11 – 10.10 warm up + race
    3/12 – 9.65 easy with hills
    3/13 – 5.01 easy + 4 strides
    3/14 – snow day
    3/15 – snow day
    3/16 – 8.05 easy
    3/17 – travel day
    3/18 – 6.40 commutes + race
    3/19 – 11.18 MP interval
    3/20 – rest day
    3/21 – 15.01 tempo intervals
    3/22 – 5.58 easy
    3/23 – 9.16 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/24 – rest day
    3/25 – 21.70 paced run + solo miles
    3/26 – 3.86 easy
    3/27 – 12.10 warm up, Yasso 800s, cool down

March total to date – 198.45

Nominal Challenge Goal – 225 miles
    Real Goals: Stay healthy. Train well toward Boston. Run well at the USATF Masters 8K Championship in Virginia Beach.

Today's notes – Today's assignment was 10 x Yasso 800's. The form that takes in my club is, you take your goal marathon time in hours and seconds (3:16 to 3:20 for me), and run 800m in the corresponding minutes and seconds. Then you take the same time for recovery. Last year, the 800m was marked on the road around Cobb's Hill, which goes up and down. This year, there are several club members running Boston and the 800 was marked on the flat path around the reservoir at the top of Cobb's Hill. That leaves about 300m to get back to the start during the recovery period, which is no problem for me because I do an easy run for recovery.

Endurance was not a problem for me today. Pace control was a bit of an issue. The 800s came in at 3:07 (oops), 3:11, 3:19 (deliberately slowing down), 3:16, 3:14, 3:12, 3:11, 3:11, 3:13, and 3:06. That last one was fast because it was the last one, I didn't have to save anything for the next interval, and it shaved a few seconds off the time to get to the port-a-pot. If there had been a port-a-pot at the top of the hill, I would have used it in the recovery interval after the 6th 800.

Somewhere in there I picked up a couple guys using me as a pacer. I noticed them at the 7th interval. They looked younger than me as we got to the start line, so I said I'd get out of their way. No, they said, we're following you. You're the pace leader. So I knew what was going on for the last 3 800's; except I crossed them up on the 10th one. "That one was faster, wasn't it?" Yes, it was.

I have no great confidence in the predictive value of the Yasso 800's. Perhaps they work when cardio is the limiting factor, but I don't believe cardio will be the critical factor for me running a marathon. I also don't believe I'll be running a 3:11 or 3:13 marathon. 3:20 would be believable, but I'll accept 3:30 if that's what I need to do to stay healthy. Time is not the goal, finishing in good shape is.

So far, so good. A year ago, I only did 4 Yasso 800's because I was babying a hurt ankle and that's all the harder I wanted to beat on it. This year, I'm feeling pretty healthy 3 weeks out. But I'm still scared of mismanaging the race and putting myself on the couch.

2017 races:
    January 1, 2017 Freezeroo #2 (Resolution Run 7.5 mile) (Mendon, NY) Finished in 50:45
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) Finished in 1:32:40
    January 14, 2017 Freezeroo #3 (Pineway Ponds Park 5 mile) (Spencerport, NY) Finished in 33:42
    January 28, 2017 Freezeroo #4 (Hearnish 5 mile) (Victor, NY) short course, finished 4.88 miles in 32:50
    February 4, 2017 USATF Cross Country National Championship Masters 8K (Bend, OR) Finished in 35:39, team won the 60+ Men's cross country championship
    February 11, 2017 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) sat out due to training schedule
    February 25, 2017 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) short course, finished 4.34 miles in 27:51
    March 11, 2017 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 33:25
    March 18, 2017 USATF Masters 8K Championship (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 30:59, PR for 8K
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I didn't get the ticker loaded earlier, so here it is:

exercise.png
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    After watching Arrogate's performance in the Dubai World cup, I really wanted to run this afternoon...so inspired! Even my husband who doesn't watch horse racing watched the race on You tube 3 times. Anyhow the weather has been great in Indy, temperature in the 70's Had to run in a head wind during the last 3 miles ,and the weather a little warmer than I like. Otherwise, felt great. I changed my posture to a more forward lean, and have been avoiding the back issues. Definitely feeling it in my hamstrings and gluts.

Loved watching Arrogate as well! I really need to take a good look at all the Derby contenders, just haven't had time to keep up with it all this year. Do you have a pick for the Derby yet or still too early?

Thanks. I think Arrogate is the second coming of Man O'War...I am pretty high on him. The Derby looks pretty wide open. I really like Tapwrit and think he has a real shot to win the Derby.. The last Derby prep races are April 8th and will probably know more afterward.
    Where I grew up, I lived 65 miles from Louisville and saw horse racing on Tv all of the time.Horses are beautiful animals and run for the joy of it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    01 Mar – 12.6 km
    02 Mar – 2.6 km + 1200 metres swimming
    03 Mar – 10 km
    04 Mar – 8.2 km including parkrun
    06 Mar – 14.2 km
    07 Mar – 2.7 km + 1200 metres swimming
    08 Mar – 10 km
    10 Mar – 12 km
    11 Mar – 800 metres swimming
    12 Mar – 21.2 km
    13 Mar – (Hike up a mountain 476 metres elevation gain - not counted in run total)
    15 Mar – 6 km
    16 Mar – 4.7 km jog + 1000 metres swimming
    17 Mar – 15.3 km + Body Balance
    18 Mar – 7.6 km including parkrun
    20 Mar – 10 km
    21 Mar - 2.7 km + 1200 metres swimming
    23 Mar – 1.2 km + Body Balance
    24 Mar – 30.1 km Distance PB!!!
    25 Mar – 5 km parkjog
    28 Mar – 6.2 km
    29 Mar – 9.5 km

Goal: 100 miles / 160 km, including my first 30 km run. DONE/DONE!!!
    Total: 192 km
    Daily Steps Average: 19,193

Speaking of calories, anyone else recently getting stupidly low calorie burns for exercise from Garmin lately?

I did a 30 km run on Friday - only 1000 calories! I usually get more than that for a half marathon.

Today I did 10 km and only got 225 calories!

I've got the Forerunner 225. My HR was in Zone 2 today, and medium to high for the 30 km.

I don't need to lose any weight, thanks Garmin! Gimme my calories!

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @7lenny7 If you want to get rid of the extra part at the end of the run - I saw you also got a 400m PR from it, you can do that on the Strava website. Click on the little wrench on the activity page and then "crop" it.
    I do that all the time when I use Strava to log bike commutes. It works quite well, and that way I get rid of funny speed and distance contributions at the beginning and end (I often start the activity in my apartment, throw the phone in my backpack, get the bike out of the cellar, ride to work, and only dig out the phone and stop after carrying the bike to my office).

@Orphia You should have gotten more than 1000 calories for 30km of running!
    I never pay attention to the calories from my watch. As I wrote somewhere above, I always use "distance in km * weight in kg" to figure out the calorie burn. Works for me, and I don't have to worry about software updates or anything.
  • hannahbananna80
    hannahbananna80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bit gutted as I have injured my foot, possible stress fracture so I can't finish my challenge. Am so disappointed. I bought some new running shoes after Christmas with some gift money from sports direct and I honestly think that is what has done it. At the time I said to the member of staff that it didn't feel right on the particular foot I've now hurt, but stupidly of me I let him convince me that with some gel insoles they would be ideal and work. My old tatty shoes were so much more comfy. I wish I had looked round more but I was excited to get them and they were to be a motivator as well.

I have no idea how long I might have to leave it now. Or if I should say anything to sports direct though it is my own silly fault for not being stronger. Grrrr.

Oh well, rant over, onwards and upwards!!

Well done to all you who are completing or have already you are inspirations!!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @hannahbananna80 Oh no, that sucks that you are injured! I can't believe the shop staff member talked you into buying those shoes, after you already told him they don't feel right. Did you already see a doctor about the foot?

@shanaber Congrats on hitting your goal :) I just tried to picture the one-legged glute bridge on a ball, and it sounds really scary!

@ROBOTFOOD That is some impressive climbing! I think I only did one run with more than 1000m elevation ever, and I can still remember how that wiped me out. And you did it on the same day as a tempo run in the morning, wow.

@MobyCarp No matter how predictive the Yasso 800's are, they are still a really tough workout. Great run!

@JessicaMcB Awesome, enjoy your new treadmill!

---
    exercise.png[/quote]
  • hannahbananna80
    hannahbananna80 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I need to get it checked by the Dr. I was quite undecided as hadnt realised what it could have been as the pain is often really mild. But a nurse said to get it checked as it sounded like a possible stress fracture. It is really hard to get out of work so I am going to go Friday on my next day off. And I'll do some kettlebell and yoga stuff until I can run again. I have seem some other trainers that sound much more suitable on sweat shop website. Just seems such a waste of money! Though I'd be silly to wear the others for running now anyway I guess.