60 Minutes per Month Plank Challenge - May 2017

Spliner1969
Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
b3achy wrote: »
This is a pretty simple challenge thread for those that want to have some accountability with their plank workouts. This plank challenge thread is meant to be flexible enough that people of various fitness levels should be able to successfully complete it as long as they are consistent with doing their planks regularly.

Challenge Goal - 60 minutes of planks for the month. That's about 2 minutes of planks daily, or 3 minutes of planks for 20 days or 5 minutes of planks for 12 days...or...what ever you want to do to reach the challenge goal.
>>If you are already a planking superstar or start to consistently hit the challenge goal, feel free to post your own goal at the beginning of the challenge that is higher than the one for the posted challenge. Or post an updated goal once you hit 60 minutes.
>>If you join us late in the month, feel free to post an alternate goal that is in the spirit of the original challenge (for example, joining around the 15th would be a 30 minute plank challenge to finish out the month).

How many sets? As many as you need. If you can do a 5 minute plank in one set, that is amazing!! If you want to do a few sets of 1 - 2 minute planks, that's cool! If you need to break up your planks into multiple sets of 15-30 seconds, that's okay too!

Types of planks? ALL planks and their variations count! Straight arm planks, forearm/elbow planks, side planks, reverse planks, etc. This allows you to vary your planks depending on your personal workout goals. (See next post for a variety of planking ideas.)

How to join / participate? Just post the total minutes of the planks you did for the day and your running total for the month. No spreadsheets, no groups. Easy peasy.

Last month's 60 minute plank challenge thread:
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521887/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-march-2017

Welcome and get planking!!

Continuing the challenge for @B3achy since she is busy for the next month or maybe a few. The challenge has helped a ton of us build a much stronger core thanks to her, so all props go to the original challenge creator @B3achy!

Replies

• Spliner1969
    This is a pretty simple challenge thread for those that want to have some accountability with their plank workouts. This plank challenge thread is meant to be flexible enough that people of various fitness levels should be able to successfully complete it as long as they are consistent with doing their planks regularly.

Challenge Goal - 60 minutes of planks for the month. That's about 2 minutes of planks daily, or 3 minutes of planks for 20 days or 5 minutes of planks for 12 days...or...what ever you want to do to reach the challenge goal.
    >>If you are already a planking superstar or start to consistently hit the challenge goal, feel free to post your own goal at the beginning of the challenge that is higher than the one for the posted challenge. Or post an updated goal once you hit 60 minutes.
    >>If you join us late in the month, feel free to post an alternate goal that is in the spirit of the original challenge (for example, joining around the 15th would be a 30 minute plank challenge to finish out the month).

How many sets? As many as you need. If you can do a 5 minute plank in one set, that is amazing!! If you want to do a few sets of 1 - 2 minute planks, that's cool! If you need to break up your planks into multiple sets of 15-30 seconds, that's okay too!

Types of planks? ALL planks and their variations count! Straight arm planks, forearm/elbow planks, side planks, reverse planks, etc. This allows you to vary your planks depending on your personal workout goals. (See next post for a variety of planking ideas.)

How to join / participate? Just post the total minutes of the planks you did for the day and your running total for the month. No spreadsheets, no groups. Easy peasy.

Last month's 60 minute plank challenge thread:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10521887/60-minutes-per-month-plank-challenge-march-2017

Welcome and get planking!!
    And for those that want some more intermediate or advanced plank workouts...

Intermediate Plank Workouts:
    These are intermediate level workouts, good to try once you have a good foundation of standard planks and are looking for something more interesting or with more variety.

3 minute Bowflex Plank Workout:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynUw0YsrmSg

Rebecca Louise 5 minute Plank Workout (shows nearly proper form (butt's a little too far in the air, IMO), and modified forms):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Ge7uGpjFY

DareBee 5 minute Plank Workout:
    five-minute-plank-workout.jpg

DareBee Killer Core Plank Workout:
    killer-core-workout.jpg

Advanced Workouts:
    Do not try these if you have never done a plank before. These are workouts to build up to once you successfully establish a good foundation of standard planks (and probably only once you've managed to do some of the intermediate workouts).

15 Minute Advanced Plank Workout:
    wh-15-min-plank-workout_0.jpeg
    See details in this article ~ http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/plank-abs-workout

FitnessBlender 10 minute Advanced Plank Workout (this looks brutal):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DNN9a5pU2A

You get the idea...there are lots of planks you can do, and any and all are acceptable for this challenge! Happy planking!! :)

• Spliner1969
    Anyone wanting to join simply post, and post daily or as you do planks and add to your time. Welcome to the challenge and hope to see everyone from last month try again!
  • Spliner1969
    I'm in as usual! Personal goal 180 minutes for the month.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    I'm in! I'm bound to get to those 60 minutes sooner or later :tongue:
  • 135terry
    135terry Posts: 432 Member
    I'm in - 90 minute goal for May.
  • phumy_healthyhabits
    phumy_healthyhabits Posts: 19 Member
    Funny today I was mentally committing myself to do this. Even better as part of a group.
  • 3dtimescharm
    3dtimescharm Posts: 7 Member
    Omg, i think I gonna try to do it. 31 min for me. Been out of the gym for a while.
  • tdunnegan
    tdunnegan Posts: 100 Member
    I'm in. Very weak core. But just starting planks. I did 3 sets straight arm to count of 15 yesterday as a modification to push ups in my exercise class yesterday....coincidentally...

I'll officially time for this challenge. Glad I found this
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    My first challenge and I'm ready! I'm in for 60 minutes!
  • mrmartoon
    mrmartoon Posts: 26 Member
    Okay sounds like fun. I'm in!
  • homeschoolmom77
    homeschoolmom77 Posts: 208 Member
    I'm in, maybe I can get the 60 min this month, will have to see how the back behaves. Welcome to the new-comers, glad to see all the friends from last couple of months.
  • old_me
    old_me Posts: 69 Member
    I am not good with planks...so I'm in. Need to build up my strength. I will try for 60min.
  • transparentenigma
    transparentenigma Posts: 565 Member
    Well I want to push myself, but I am trying to be realistic, so 60 minutes is a good place to start.

I'm in.
  • mooremary1971
    mooremary1971 Posts: 2 Member
    IN !
    124 mins in 31 days (4 mins per day).
    Core strength is my goal right now, thanks for the challenge!
  • kiit1234
    kiit1234 Posts: 55 Member
    I'm in.
  • SweetSassyJen
    SweetSassyJen Posts: 129 Member
    Day 1 - 2 minutes completed...that was tough!
  • Spliner1969
    May 1, None, Planned Rest Day! I swear!

May's personal goal 180 minutes, 180 left to go.
  • Acrovic
    Acrovic Posts: 1 Member
    Have been out of fitness for a while now, Goal is 60minutes at the end of the month.
    May 1, 2 minutes!
  • 135terry
    135terry Posts: 432 Member
    May goal - 90 minutes
    May 1 - 4 min (mixed planks)