Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I looked today and couldn't find laughing cow - its cheese, right? My store has the bag cheese area (like pizza cheese) and fancy cheese area. Also looked near hummus and that kinda stuff.

They're not refrigerated. Look on the shelves where they have the Velveeta.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I think I've seen people make fluff with plain whey, but imo, it's best with whey/casein.

Also, not all protein powders work well with it. I tried PES in it and it didn't fluff well at all. And that's a whey/casein blend. I was bummed, because that's their Frosted Chocolate Cupcake is one of the best chocolate protein powders out there.

Quest always does really well for protein fluff and protein ice cream.

Caveat: I have celiac disease and my selection of protein powders is limited because of it. A lot of them are manufactured on shared equipment. I don't have experience with a lot of different brands.

Recommendation: Go for the protein ice cream. It's much better than protein fluff. It's really a lot like soft serve.

Hmm...I have only used PES and thought it fluffed well. Maybe others fluff even better....

I have found that a bit of ice when making protein fluff has helped with the...fluff

I'm going to stop trying to write this now because I'm drunk.

I wasn't using ice. That might have been the problem.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I looked today and couldn't find laughing cow - its cheese, right? My store has the bag cheese area (like pizza cheese) and fancy cheese area. Also looked near hummus and that kinda stuff.

They're not refrigerated. Look on the shelves where they have the Velveeta.

Ohhhhh! Don't spend a lot of time in the Velveeta aisle! <3
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Omg y'all sorry to break up the protein fluff talk, but I made the best dinner last night, and there was so much of it!
    1 spaghetti squash, 1 zucchini chopped, 1/2 white onion chopped, 3oz mushrooms, 6 pepper jack laughing cow wedges and 4 asiago spinach chicken sausages. I used garlic powder, salt and pepper to season, oh and just a splash of milk for consistency - split between 2 people. HOLY COW IT WAS SO GOOD and it made so much that I couldn't eat all of my half. I don't have the breakdown of the exact calories in front of me but it was under 500 calories for a huge amount (a reasonable person's portion would probably be around 300 calories)

Yummy. Veggies cooked or raw?

Cooked - I cooked the onion, zucchini and mushrooms together, added the sausage then the cheese and then mixed in the spaghetti squash (which I already baked in the oven)
    Omg y'all sorry to break up the protein fluff talk, but I made the best dinner last night, and there was so much of it!
    1 spaghetti squash, 1 zucchini chopped, 1/2 white onion chopped, 3oz mushrooms, 6 pepper jack laughing cow wedges and 4 asiago spinach chicken sausages. I used garlic powder, salt and pepper to season, oh and just a splash of milk for consistency - split between 2 people. HOLY COW IT WAS SO GOOD and it made so much that I couldn't eat all of my half. I don't have the breakdown of the exact calories in front of me but it was under 500 calories for a huge amount (a reasonable person's portion would probably be around 300 calories)

This sounds really good, but I'm never able to get my Laughing Cow wedges to melt. :/

It does take some patience, but they will melt eventually. Keep stirring and heating. I added the splash of milk to help it along so it was more sauce-like and less cream cheesy. But still plenty thick and amazing
  • Kimblesnbits13
    Kimblesnbits13 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I usually find them in the fancy cheese area. Usually next to the bagged babybel cheese.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I usually find them in the fancy cheese area. Usually next to the bagged babybel cheese.

Wal-Mart has the Laughing Cow by the fancy cheese.

I bought Aldis version of Laughing Cow, & it's 25 calories per wedge for those that want to knock a few calories off their meals.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Lord yes. I am forever thankful to be a lover of vegetables. I have been known to eat an entire head of cabbage steamed with onions on a single sitting. When I want to stuff my face I bust out the vegetables!
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Mmmm after reading the protein fluff posts I had to make some protein "ice cream" - quest cinnamon crunch protein + little bit of Greek yogurt + almond milk + ice and a tiny bit of graham cracked on top. I don't keep cereal in the house since I will eat an entire box in one sitting, but I think I might be able to control myself if it's the puff cereal shown in that video. I want to get some just for topping on this stuff!

I too have trouble moderating cereal and I've been using cereal to top my protein ice cream and I've had no trouble moderating it at all. I don't know if it's the combination or what, because normally I'd be diving into the whole box. I really like these:

Natures_Path_Envirokidz_Organic_Chocolate_Koala_Crisp_325g-2607-1045.jpg

They're nice and krispy and you get a lot in a serving.

Shut your face! This stuff is sooooo good! So crispy and satisfying! I love to stir it into some peanut butter.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nixi3Knox wrote: »
    Lord yes. I am forever thankful to be a lover of vegetables. I have been known to eat an entire head of cabbage steamed with onions on a single sitting. When I want to stuff my face I bust out the vegetables!

Ohhh yes I could definitely eat a whole head of cabbage. That ish is amazing.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    @nowine4me here is the vid that taught me. The xantham gum is optional, I don't use it because I get tremendous volume without it and I think it gives it more of an ice cream texture without it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqT4lOyxgR4

Eat it immediately, I do not freeze. If you think it makes way too much for you, just halve the recipe next time but yeah.. its a lot!

I don't remember her exact amounts but here's mine in the order I add to the blender:

65mils of sugar free pancake syrup (17 cals)
    145 mils of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (18 cals)
    tiny splash of imitation vanilla extract (2 cals?)
    8 drops of liquid sucralose (0 cals)
    entire tray of ice cubes

Blend all of that until the ice is crushed up, scrape down the sides of the blender with a spatula.

Add 28g of Quest salted caramel (100 cals)

Blend on high for 1 minute. Stop and stir a little, and scrape down the sides of the blender again. Blend for another 10-20 seconds. Once it rises and thickens really nicely its done.

Have a giant mixing bowl ready, like a really big one haha and an oven mitt to set the bowl on so your hand doesn't freeze while you eat it :D

I top with about 15 mils more syrup (3 cals) and 3 crushed up chocolate stauffer's animal crackers (24 cals) <3

165 cals and 23g protein.

No Xanthan Gum?
    Did yours fluff up without Xanthan? I bought the Quest Cinnamon Crunch to try with the Walden's Pancake Syrup + Cashew Milk + Truvia + Ice.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @pielattes1 Yes I don't use the Xanthan gum. I posted pictures above of my ice cream. (post with the photo bomb :D ) I get plenty of volume and prefer the texture as well without it. If you already have some try it but you don't have to go out and buy it just for this.
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    This is a RIDICULOUS amount of fluff. Pure deliciousness.

That looks like Quest cookies n cream!
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @pielattes1 Yes I don't use the Xanthan gum. I posted pictures above of my ice cream. (post with the photo bomb :D ) I get plenty of volume and prefer the texture as well without it. If you already have some try it but you don't have to go out and buy it just for this.

Would you post the directions/measurements of ingredients that you used? I have the same protein powder, I just can't seem to get it to fluff.
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »

Would you post the directions/measurements of ingredients that you used? I have the same protein powder, I just can't seem to get it to fluff.

Page 12 of this thread, 2nd post from the top. It might take some trial and error depending on your blender. I actually had a really old crappy one that I replaced just for making ice cream. Make sure you are adding the protein powder last, after all the other ingredients are blended and all the ice is crushed up. Then add the pp and let it go on high for a good solid minute or so. Stop and stir and then blend another 10-15 seconds.

In my old crappy one I had to mash the pulse button the whole time.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »

Page 12 of this thread, 2nd post from the top. It might take some trial and error depending on your blender. I actually had a really old crappy one that I replaced just for making ice cream. Make sure you are adding the protein powder last, after all the other ingredients are blended and all the ice is crushed up. Then add the pp and let it go on high for a good solid minute or so. Stop and stir and then blend another 10-15 seconds.

In my old crappy one I had to mash the pulse button the whole time.

I think I'll make this tonight.

Does anyone ever had milk & yogurt to their protein ice creams?
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options

Wal-Mart has the Laughing Cow by the fancy cheese.

I bought Aldis version of Laughing Cow, & it's 25 calories per wedge for those that want to knock a few calories off their meals.

The Aldi pepper jack version is good!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    efkc1d2l8mkw.jpg
    Second fluff of the day is lemon "poppyseed" topped with crushed pistachios.

Quest vanilla with lemon extract and almond milk with 1/2 tbs chia seeds that had already set up into pudding.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    I can't do fluff any more because xantham gum and I do not get along.

Otherwise, I'd try that lemon/chia version.

One of the bad things about being a volume person and having IBS: I had to come to the sad conclusion this week that raw vegetables and I need to part company.

No more salads. No more veggie trays with ranch/Greek yogurt dip.

I just don't handle them well and haven't for a long time.

I'm going to see if I'm okay with blanched veggies, so maybe I can still do veggies/dip. I will miss salads, though.

And coleslaw. I love coleslaw.