Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have been reading "Xantham" not "xanthan" my whole life I just kind blew my own mind by finally noticing. Not that I say it a lot but you know. :|
  • haleyhawkins
    haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So I eat a bowl of raw carrots, celery and cucumber, I will roast a zucchini, spirlize a zucchini, make butternut squash fries (no oil or batter) and a piece of fish for dinner. I don't eat large meals during the day though. Is this ok? I feel like it's 99% low calorie foods so
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    What do you mean is this ok? Volume eating isn't a diet plan where you have to eat a certain amount. It's just people who like to avoid feeling hungry and this works.
  • haleyhawkins
    haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What do you mean is this ok? Volume eating isn't a diet plan where you have to eat a certain amount. It's just people who like to avoid feeling hungry and this works.

I guess I mean is this an ok meal? Or is it overboard? I am new to this so I am trying to figure out what is healthy and what is not!

thanks!
  • AskMorphis
    AskMorphis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So I eat a bowl of raw carrots, celery and cucumber, I will roast a zucchini, spirlize a zucchini, make butternut squash fries (no oil or batter) and a piece of fish for dinner. I don't eat large meals during the day though. Is this ok? I feel like it's 99% low calorie foods so

It's very simple : you weight everything before eating it, you enter it in your MFP journal, and see whether or not you're above your calorie goal. Eating low calorie foods allows you to eat a greater volume, but you can still overeat. What's important, is the calories. And without precise measurements, we can't answer you.

I've been visiting my parents for a week, and I ate separately. It's impressive how volume-wise, I eat as much as the two of them combined (or even more :tongue: ) but calorie-wise, I'm way under. It's funny to us, and good for my belly, and it works great : I don't complain :tongue:

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

Are you trying to lose weight, maintain, or gain? Judging by your profile picture you look like you're already either at a good weight or too thin. Can't tell by the angle. Don't look at food as good or bad, because that can lead you down a slippery slope.

Anything is healthy as long as it's in moderation.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Ice cream fluff #2 of the day, Girl Scouts Thin Mint. Used Quest cookies and cream with peppermint extract (a little goes a LONG way). Later, if im up for it, red velvet. Plan is to use chocolate brownie batter powder with a bit of red food coloring with a dollop of birthday cake flavored whipped Greek yogurt as the "cream cheese" icing.

Would you share the recipe for the Thin Mint Fluff?? Such a great idea!! I'm going out to get the Mint Stevia.... If you have any pics of the consistency you got, please do share! Pictures help me to gauge if I'm doing it correctly.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I can't do fluff any more because xantham gum and I do not get along.

Otherwise, I'd try that lemon/chia version.

One of the bad things about being a volume person and having IBS: I had to come to the sad conclusion this week that raw vegetables and I need to part company.

No more salads. No more veggie trays with ranch/Greek yogurt dip.

I just don't handle them well and haven't for a long time.

I'm going to see if I'm okay with blanched veggies, so maybe I can still do veggies/dip. I will miss salads, though.

And coleslaw. I love coleslaw.

You may just need to cut down on the veggies that are high in Fodmaps. Worth a try (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc). Look for low fodmap veggies online :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    I can't do fluff any more because xantham gum and I do not get along.

Otherwise, I'd try that lemon/chia version.

One of the bad things about being a volume person and having IBS: I had to come to the sad conclusion this week that raw vegetables and I need to part company.

No more salads. No more veggie trays with ranch/Greek yogurt dip.

I just don't handle them well and haven't for a long time.

I'm going to see if I'm okay with blanched veggies, so maybe I can still do veggies/dip. I will miss salads, though.

And coleslaw. I love coleslaw.

You may just need to cut down on the veggies that are high in Fodmaps. Worth a try (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, etc). Look for low fodmap veggies online :)

I'm fine with them cooked. It's raw that give me issues.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My sister has issues with raw vegetables (also IBS), but only some -- I know broccoli and cauliflower are issues.

Not helpful, I know, except maybe you can experiment and find some you can tolerate better than others.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    My sister has issues with raw vegetables (also IBS), but only some -- I know broccoli and cauliflower are issues.

Not helpful, I know, except maybe you can experiment and find some you can tolerate better than others.

I already know the cruciferous veggies are out. So are leafy greens, carrots and celery.

I'm on a healing spell right now and when things are okay, I'm going to try tomatoes. Maybe cucumber. I'll be happy if I can tolerate just those two. Oh and zucchini.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @pielattes1 love your user name. For thin mint ice cream fluff I use giant yeti cup full of crushed
    ice, Quest cookies and cream (1/2 scoop), unsweet almond milk (1/3 cup) and a dash of peppermint extract (go easy, you can add more later), 1/4 tps xantham and a few drops of liquid Splenda. It doesn't work for me in a blender, so I use the food processor.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    My protein powder isn't giving me the volume that you guys are getting with the ice cream recipe. I'm going to get some Quest today. Which flavor do you guys suggest? Cookies n cream or Salted Caramel? I know it's personal preference, but they both sound good and I can't decide!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    My protein powder isn't giving me the volume that you guys are getting with the ice cream recipe. I'm going to get some Quest today. Which flavor do you guys suggest? Cookies n cream or Salted Caramel? I know it's personal preference, but they both sound good and I can't decide!

I haven't tried cookies and cream yet, but the salted caramel is my favorite of the ones I have tried. It is great with coffee and frozen banana too.
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

I haven't tried cookies and cream yet, but the salted caramel is my favorite of the ones I have tried. It is great with coffee and frozen banana too.

Awesome thanks, that's what I ended up going with! I'm excited to try the ice cream again tonight!
    And yum to coffee and frozen banana!
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Are any of the protein powders that are chocolate flavoured likely to contain any caffeine? A sniff of coffee or chocolate after about lunchtime and I definitely have trouble falling asleep. Is it really "chocolate?"