Volume Eaters Thread

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    My protein powder isn't giving me the volume that you guys are getting with the ice cream recipe. I'm going to get some Quest today. Which flavor do you guys suggest? Cookies n cream or Salted Caramel? I know it's personal preference, but they both sound good and I can't decide!

I haven't tried cookies and cream yet, but the salted caramel is my favorite of the ones I have tried. It is great with coffee and frozen banana too.

Awesome thanks, that's what I ended up going with! I'm excited to try the ice cream again tonight!
    And yum to coffee and frozen banana!

I've already re ordered the Salted Caramel three times, exclusively for making ice cream. The cookies n cream is really good too but if I had to choose based on flavor and volume... I would definitely pick the Salted Caramel ;)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Are any of the protein powders that are chocolate flavoured likely to contain any caffeine? A sniff of coffee or chocolate after about lunchtime and I definitely have trouble falling asleep. Is it really "chocolate?"

They have cocoa...which contains trace amounts of caffeine. Hard to determine how much, as cocoa beans themselves vary in caffeine levels(.1-0.7%). I'm also assuming there isn't a large amount of cocoa powder in the protein powder.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    My protein powder isn't giving me the volume that you guys are getting with the ice cream recipe. I'm going to get some Quest today. Which flavor do you guys suggest? Cookies n cream or Salted Caramel? I know it's personal preference, but they both sound good and I can't decide!

I haven't tried cookies and cream yet, but the salted caramel is my favorite of the ones I have tried. It is great with coffee and frozen banana too.

Awesome thanks, that's what I ended up going with! I'm excited to try the ice cream again tonight!

Salted Caramel is Also delicious with a crushed graham cracker and tbs of cocoa nibs. My PEScience samples arrive today. I'm literally sitting on the doorstep. Snickerdoodle (I'll try tonight) and Peanut Butter Cookie (for breakfast). And FYI if you like crunch, the Ezikiel Sprouted Grains cereal is the crunchiest thing ever, just need a tbs on top, adds about 25 cals
  • kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    ElvenToad wrote: »

I've already re ordered the Salted Caramel three times, exclusively for making ice cream. The cookies n cream is really good too but if I had to choose based on flavor and volume... I would definitely pick the Salted Caramel ;)

Ok, I'm glad I chose the Salted Caramel!!
    nowine4me wrote: »

Salted Caramel is Also delicious with a crushed graham cracker and tbs of cocoa nibs. My PEScience samples arrive today. I'm literally sitting on the doorstep. Snickerdoodle (I'll try tonight) and Peanut Butter Cookie (for breakfast). And FYI if you like crunch, the Ezikiel Sprouted Grains cereal is the crunchiest thing ever, just need a tbs on top, adds about 25 cals

Thanks for the topping ideas!
    And haha, I'd probably be sitting on my doorstep for those flavors too! Be sure to share how they turn out!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited August 2017

Yum! Can't wait to read how it turns out.

I just made more tonight & put less ice & some xanthan gum in & it turned out more like ice cream than my past two attempts. I topped it with six butter cookies.

Today for lunch I had a Great Value Frozen Grain meal that has quinoa, kale, & a few other vegetables (226 grams) & frozen green beans (338 grams) & my belly was full until I made my ice cream.
  • kelly_c_77

I just made more tonight & put less ice & some xanthan gum in & it turned out more like ice cream than my past two attempts. I topped it with six butter cookies.

Today for lunch I had a Great Value Frozen Grain meal that has quinoa, kale, & a few other vegetables (226 grams) & frozen green beans (338 grams) & my belly was full until I made my ice cream.

Ok, it was sooo much better than the other times I made it with the other protein powder. Way more volume and better texture..like real ice cream texture. I'm so happy I bought Quest!

Your lunch sounds good!

And @nowine4me, that looks awesome!
  • ElvenToad

Exited to hear how your PEScience samples are! And holy crap that meal looks delish too.
  • ElvenToad

Ok, it was sooo much better than the other times I made it with the other protein powder. Way more volume and better texture..like real ice cream texture. I'm so happy I bought Quest!

Your lunch sounds good!

And @nowine4me, that looks awesome!

Yay! Pretty crazy right? Ice cream magic <3
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    @ElvenToad tried the snickerdoodle and the flavor was awesome, but the texture didn't work. It was super icey and crunchy rather than smooth. I'll try again tomorrow maybe adding a little more almond milk. As a topper I took a tbs of the Ezekiel cereal I love so much (the texture part) and added a little cinnamon and a half packet of Truvia to amp up the snickerdoodle-ness of the whole thing.
  • ElvenToad
    @ElvenToad tried the snickerdoodle and the flavor was awesome, but the texture didn't work. It was super icey and crunchy rather than smooth. I'll try again tomorrow maybe adding a little more almond milk. As a topper I took a tbs of the Ezekiel cereal I love so much (the texture part) and added a little cinnamon and a half packet of Truvia to amp up the snickerdoodle-ness of the whole thing.

Sounds good! You said your PEScience samples are a whey/casein blend right? Because when I make ice cream with my casein pp I have that exact same problem.

What fixes it for me is adding the syrup, almond milk, extract, sweetener, pp, then ice and blending it all at once instead of adding the pp last after the ice is crushed up. Also adding 20-30 extra mils of almond milk and blending a bit longer. (food processor I imagine works pretty much the same way as a blender?)

For some reason casein pp is harder to make ice cream with than whey but a little trial and error and I got it right. I've done... quite a bit of experimenting :p

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Wait so whey is better for ice cream and casein for fluff? Why wouldn't casein be better for ice cream too? Gah. I'm confused. I'm a PEScience snickerdoodle girl for basic *kitten*, but honestly BSN peanut butter cookie is the best protein powder I've ever had and I'm concerned about it not making great ice cream. I have to lookup what blend it is.

Also, drunk again so if that made sense, great. If not. Carry on.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    I finally got all the parts for the fluff, pretty excited to try tomorrow! I got the xanthan gum at Whole Foods and today I found sample size packets of casein protein powder in a couple different flavours. I'll try it basic first but I really like the idea of the ones I've seen that make a kind of paste out of frozen fruit and whip that in.
  • kelly_c_77
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Wait so whey is better for ice cream and casein for fluff? Why wouldn't casein be better for ice cream too? Gah. I'm confused. I'm a PEScience snickerdoodle girl for basic *kitten*, but honestly BSN peanut butter cookie is the best protein powder I've ever had and I'm concerned about it not making great ice cream. I have to lookup what blend it is.

I'm confused too because the protein powder I used the first two times I made the ice cream was whey and it definitely wasn't as "ice creamy" as when I used the whey/casein blend. I'll trust @ElvenToad though since she seems to be the protein ice cream expert! :p;)
  • widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    So aside from the fluff i find a really satisfying dessert (ir meal) is a large la tortilla factory wrap (90 cals and 13g fiber) pb2, cinnamon, 1/2 apple, tsp or less sugar free jam, 3 cashews split in half, a couple of slices greek yogurt covered bananas and fresh mint leaves. Yummy and so filling.
  • miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Daft question, so forgive me. Ever since I went back to having volume meals I feel it takes me more to get full/satisfied. Does your stomach expand again or something or is it just a mental thing?
  • ElvenToad
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Oh no you can absolutely still make great ice cream with casein or a casein/whey blend. For me (not using xantham gum) I noticed the casein didn't blend as easily and started trying different things until I got it to come out with the right texture/consistency. If your getting good results then stick with that, but if your having trouble with casein or a whey/casein blend try my tips.

Here is my mint chocolate chip, its 100% casein, and it makes fabulous ice cream but not as much volume and I have to tweak the process (per my last post).

wg51mrw8pnxn.jpg

Different brands, blenders/processors, types of pp, even flavors, your mileage may vary so you might have to experiment a little bit but I have yet to be unsuccessful making ice cream with ON or Quest.

uhhh peanut butter cookie sounds like I need to google that! you know.. for science.