Volume Eaters Thread

Options

Replies

• ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    sofchak wrote: »
    Omg - I simultaneously love you and hate you all for introducing me to protein fluff/ice cream (not sure which one I actually made) - 1 sample pack Quest PB, 1 tray of ice cubes, 1/4 cup SF syrup and 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt mixed with some water since I didn't have any milk on hand. There was SO MUCH VOLUME! I wasn't prepared for it all! Too many promises in the past that never came to fruition had me super cautious here that I would see results.

As you all can relate, given the theme of this thread, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've turned down one more bite of food from being "too full" this year. This protein fluff literally had me tapping out half way through the bowl! I put the rest in the freezer in hopes that I will like the slightly colder version as dessert. Holy crap - I wasn't expecting to feel this full on fluff!!!

So, thanks for sharing the recipe and advice on how to prep.

Sincerely,

One very satisfied notorious volume eater

haha I love your post. You made protein ice cream. Made in a blender or food processor and have witnessed the magic :D

Fluff is the stuff that they are making with the mixers/beaters and there is no ice in it to my knowledge. It's like whipped carbonated air with a marshmallow texture? I don't know but I wasn't a fan of it.

It's ice cream for this girl, all the ice cream!!! It's SO much volume I just can't get enough of it <3
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Ice cream fluff #2 of the day, Girl Scouts Thin Mint. Used Quest cookies and cream with peppermint extract (a little goes a LONG way). Later, if im up for it, red velvet. Plan is to use chocolate brownie batter powder with a bit of red food coloring with a dollop of birthday cake flavored whipped Greek yogurt as the "cream cheese" icing.
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Ice cream fluff #2 of the day, Girl Scouts Thin Mint. Used Quest cookies and cream with peppermint extract (a little goes a LONG way). Later, if im up for it, red velvet. Plan is to use chocolate brownie batter powder with a bit of red food coloring with a dollop of birthday cake flavored whipped Greek yogurt as the "cream cheese" icing.

Gah! Do let me know how the Thin Mint turns out! Once I run out of my mint choc chip pp I'm not going to reorder because although it taste amazing I don't get as much volume out of it. (and my inner fat girl wants as much as she can get) >:)

And that red velvet sounds amazing too!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    ElvenToad wrote: »
    Omg - I simultaneously love you and hate you all for introducing me to protein fluff/ice cream (not sure which one I actually made) - 1 sample pack Quest PB, 1 tray of ice cubes, 1/4 cup SF syrup and 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt mixed with some water since I didn't have any milk on hand. There was SO MUCH VOLUME! I wasn't prepared for it all! Too many promises in the past that never came to fruition had me super cautious here that I would see results.

As you all can relate, given the theme of this thread, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've turned down one more bite of food from being "too full" this year. This protein fluff literally had me tapping out half way through the bowl! I put the rest in the freezer in hopes that I will like the slightly colder version as dessert. Holy crap - I wasn't expecting to feel this full on fluff!!!

Sincerely,

haha I love your post. You made protein ice cream. Made in a blender or food processor and have witnessed the magic :D

Fluff is the stuff that they are making with the mixers/beaters and there is no ice in it to my knowledge. It's like whipped carbonated air with a marshmallow texture? I don't know but I wasn't a fan of it.

It's ice cream for this girl, all the ice cream!!! It's SO much volume I just can't get enough of it <3

That is probably the best description I've ever read of it.

There can be ice in it, but by the time you whip it, any effect the ice has had on it gets whipped out. You still end up with that marshmallowy texture. I stopped using it after a while in hopes of having more flavor because I figured ice was diluting the taste. It didn't help.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Cookies and cream with mint extract is GENIUS. My IBS is flaring right now so even the teeny bit of xantham gum in the protein powder is a no-go. No protein ice cream for me for a while.

I'm taking notes to remember all this for when I'm feeling better because I will definitely be making that one. It sounds like a good stand in for mint-chocolate chip ice cream, which was one of my favorites.
  • ElvenToad
    Options

Sincerely,

That is probably the best description I've ever read of it.

There can be ice in it, but by the time you whip it, any effect the ice has had on it gets whipped out. You still end up with that marshmallowy texture. I stopped using it after a while in hopes of having more flavor because I figured ice was diluting the taste. It didn't help.

It's definitely interesting haha

Aww gotcha. I can tell some are confused between the fluff and the ice cream so hopefully this helps clear up the confusion.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Omg I must try the "thin mint"!! I almost bought a tub of quest's cookies & cream but I'm scared I won't like it, so I'm waiting until I can get a sample packet from GNC to make sure.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options

Sincerely,

I use ice in my fluff. It fluffs better and then it isn't a gross room temp when done. Only a little bit though.
  • pielattes1
    pielattes1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    pielattes1 wrote: »
    Oh, the Cinnamon Crunch Protein Fluff (Quest):

Eat this immediately, I halved the portion (its huge) and froze 1/2 right after I made it to see how it freezes. I might half the recipe next time because it's a lot!

I added these amounts but here's mine in the order I add to the mixer (not a blender):

Total: (The entire bowl pictured) - 92 calories
    5 Ingredients:
    3 teaspoon (from the Spoonable 9.8 oz Jar)-Truvia
    calories 0 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 6Protein 0

12 FL OZ (355 mL) Diet Soda-A&w Root Beer
    calories 0 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 0Protein 0

0.50 package Whip It Stabilizer for Whipping Cream-Dr. Oetker
    calories 20 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 5Protein 0

17 gram Cinnamon Crunch-Quest Nutrition
    calories 57 Total Fat 1Total Carbs 3Protein 11

0.25 tsp Xanthan Gum-Bob's Red Mill
    calories 15 Total Fat 0Total Carbs 4Protein 0

Blend all of that until the mixture starts to thicken, scrape down the sides of the mixer with a spatula as it is mixing.

Blend on high for 6-8 minutes. Stop and stir a little, and scrape down the sides of the mixer, and repeat. Mix for another 5 minutes. It will thicken very much!

Total:
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0 (This is for the ENTIRE bowl)
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 92
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1 g 1 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 3 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 3 mg 1 %
    Sodium 336 mg 14 %
    Potassium 37 mg 1 %
    Total Carbohydrate 17 g 6 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 19 %
    Sugars 1 g
    Protein 11 g 23 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 17 %
    Iron 1 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

While Mixing It thickened quickly
    e0rm71go6qwj.jpg

After I stopped Mixing..you can see its thick on the beaters
    5cssu348jlns.jpg

After being frozen for about 45mins-hour
    2q2yfbnr4jcm.jpg

I used the giant mixing bowl and then ate out of it :) Enjoy

That looks good, but does it have a lot of flavor? Every time I've made fluff it has hardly no flavor & I even add in sweetener.

I've made the protein ice cream twice so far & will definitely be making it again since I can't afford Halo Top all the time.

I added too much ice yesterday & it turned out kind of soupy, but it was still delicious.

Once I get through most of my Trutein I'll purchase sample packs of the Quest powders.

That was my first run with protein fluff. Personally, I think I could have added more sweetener to make it a sweeter flavor. Perhaps a syrup (i.e., Walden Farm's Chocolate Syrup?) I didn't use any ice, just the root beer, and the carbonation made it fluff up a lot/
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Question: do blenders or mixers generally work better to make fluff? I have both a Ktichenaid stand mixer and one of those cheap Ninja maragita-maker-type blenders, and I'm wondering which one I should use when I try to make fluff for the first time. Protein is pricey, and I would much rather not end up wasting it while trying to figure out the best way to make this stuff.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Question: do blenders or mixers generally work better to make fluff? I have both a Ktichenaid stand mixer and one of those cheap Ninja maragita-maker-type blenders, and I'm wondering which one I should use when I try to make fluff for the first time. Protein is pricey, and I would much rather not end up wasting it while trying to figure out the best way to make this stuff.

The mixer for fluff, blender for ice cream
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Sincerely,

I use ice in my fluff. It fluffs better and then it isn't a gross room temp when done. Only a little bit though.

I only watched a few youtubers make it and none used any but that makes perfect sense. Pretty smart actually!
  • ElvenToad
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    So I made the ice cream, and froze it. It froze solid overnight. I was going to chuck it but I left it out on the counter as I went to do laundry. Came back in 20 minutes, it softened up beautifully. The next day, with another portion, I simply came home from work, took a portion out of the freezer, changed, showered and it was ready waiting there for me :)

That's awesome!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    I've been making Fro-tein for years now. Love it! Never really satisfies me though... I get full from the volume for like 2 minutes and then I'm hungry again. I prefer solid foods - love my crack slaw with ground turkey!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I've been making Fro-tein for years now. Love it! Never really satisfies me though... I get full from the volume for like 2 minutes and then I'm hungry again. I prefer solid foods - love my crack slaw with ground turkey!

I love coleslaw. I love ground turkey. Please share your recipe :)
  • bbell1985
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Sincerely,

I only watched a few youtubers make it and none used any but that makes perfect sense. Pretty smart actually!

I perfected mine following the original bodybuilding.com protein fluff thread. It's like thousands of posts long.
  • haleyhawkins
    haleyhawkins Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one. I was relieved when I found out that my small meals during the day then my HUGE HUGE VEGGIE FILLED MEAL at night was actually ok and not a big deal. I am excited to see what ideas others have!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I grabbed xantham gum at Whole Foods yesterday. Didn't find any casein protein, but I think my Ralph's had some and I'll see after the gym this morning. Fluff ahoy!