July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @Ohhim welcome back. My marathon was REALLY slow due to bad fueling and electrolyte management in night heat and humidity..... Great learning experience though on a tough trail marathon. Looks like tour doing great on your IM training!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    July goal: 55 miles

7/2: 4.3 miles
    7/3: 3.7 miles
    7/4: 3.8 miles
    7/5: 2.3 miles
    7/9: 4.5 miles
    7/11: 2.5 miles
    7/12: 2.8 miles
    7/13: 3.1 miles
    7/16: 4.2 miles
    7/17: 3.1 miles

34.3/55 miles

I got my run in. It was pretty warm, but nice enough for July. It was hard to wait so late, and I'm a little nervous about hydrating so close to bedtime. But I ran about 8:15 pm and that was 2 hours ago so I will probably be ok. I do need to get to bed though. I'll be glad when it gets cooler and I can just run after work.

exercise.png

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty That looks like an awesome place to run.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July Goal: 85 mile (yeah, a REAL goal!)

7/1 3.75
    7/2 3.52
    7/3 rest
    7/4 3.26
    7/5 5.18
    7/6 snorkel 3.5 hours
    7/7 3.40
    7/8 6.00
    7/9 anniversary wine and dine
    7/10 4.23
    7/11 3.25
    7/12 rest
    7/13 4.88
    7/14 3.25
    7/15 painted bridge
    7/16 6.50
    7/17 4.25

Total 51.47

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:
    exercise.png
    upcoming races:
    Fun in the Sun Virtual 10k 6/28/17
    Race to Cure Sarcoma Month of July
    Volcano Rainforest Runs 10k 8/19
    BlockThe Sun Run 5k Oct 14 (https://walk.aimatmelanoma.org/Hilo2017) (physical and virtual options available)
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Good morning run friends. Well, I admitted it this morning, I'm injured. Sent a message to my GP asking whether I should see her or could get a referral straight to PT.... ugh
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Today at work completely sucked kitten. I needed a good run. I had originally planned a treadmill run at the gym but did NOT feel like running in one place with the way I was feeling (really, really strung out). Busse Woods is not far from work so I changed into my running gear at my work bathroom, threw the bag in the car and ran over to Busse Woods. It was just what I needed. Green, quiet and most of all, outdoors. It wasn't too hot but there were quite a few bugs to dodge. Lots of cyclists out as well. Did an out and back for a total of 6.5 miles. Felt much better afterwards.

dvir4afu7dbh.jpg

Man that looks like a great place to run.

Also, I often try to head to the gym around mid day to relieve stress at work. Find it very relieving to burn calories off.
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    feuawn579mvw.png

@MNLittleFinn You did awesome to just finish! That sounded brutal. I liked reading your race report.
    @MobyCarp Great job on pacing HM and for picking up the AG award!
    @RespectTheKitty Good job getting outside and forcing through the running blues. You too @MobyCarp!
    @KatieJane83 Wow! you've really upped your training and getting faster. It has to feel good. I know the feeling, I'm starting my marathon training this week. I'll be in the same boat with long run PR's every weekend probably.
    @LittleMissWonderWoman Sorry about your phone blowing up. I carry mine in my hand so now I'm a bit worried. Glad you're alright.

The Trailzilla race this past Saturday was alright. We had a storm come through the night before. The course was pretty wet with a lot of puddles and mud as expected. I felt like I was in that old Atari game Pitfall. I could've used some gator heads and vines on some of the puddles. It wasn't hot (79F) but it was really humid running through a forest. The air was thick! I took it easy so I didn't re-injure my hamstring. I finished feeling good but I wish I had pushed myself a little harder. I finished at 36:30, 28 seconds behind my 1AG. I was making ground on him. He was a runner from Virginia Beach I didn't know. It also helped that there was a masters division or else I would've finished third. 65 of 86 runners finished the race.

I plan to get ready for the Coast Guard Day 5k which involves part of a course I run weekly (onion run). I don't think I'll try for a sub 20 but I'll play it by ear at race time. It has a steady climb in the middle. Last year, I finished 4AG at 26:01. I know I can beat that.

Hope everyone's having a great week staying injury free, hydrated, and SPF'd!
  • ctlaws44
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn So sorry to hear about injury. Do have an idea what it is?
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »

Probably a calf strain or something similar. I had some very nasty leg cramps on race day, and had another runner help me get my leg straightened out while I massaged it, so I'm guessing it's an effect of those cramps and then walking on a leg that's taken abuse.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ctlaws44 ! It does feel really great. I think my favorite part is how I just feel like a stronger runner. Even when I'm tired and beat, I don't really worry anymore about not being able to finish whatever distance I've set out to accomplish, because I've gained so much confidence in having the strength to gut it out. Best of luck to you on your marathon training! It's pretty cool that we're starting it in the same week!
  • ctlaws44
    Options

Probably a calf strain or something similar. I had some very nasty leg cramps on race day, and had another runner help me get my leg straightened out while I massaged it, so I'm guessing it's an effect of those cramps and then walking on a leg that's taken abuse.

That sounds painful. Sorry to hear. I've had calf strain in the past and wearing compression calf sleeves has helped. I'll even sleep in them. If it's only one calf I'll double up the sleeves on that one. Hope you get to see your GP/PT quickly.

• MNLittleFinn
    Options

That sounds painful. Sorry to hear. I've had calf strain in the past and wearing compression calf sleeves has helped. I'll even sleep in them. If it's only one calf I'll double up the sleeves on that one. Hope you get to see your GP/PT quickly.

Thanks. Yeah, I normally wear sleeves, but it was like 90 degrees out and there was a lot of sun on race day, so I was dumb and didn't wear them. Wore them all day yesterday, only took them off today because I don't want my students asking all kinds of annoying questions.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    WK 7.17.17 - 7.23.17

M - 10 m.
    T -
    W -
    T -
    F -
    S - Planned LR of 17 miles.
    S -
    Total - 10 running Miles * Goal is a 60 + mile running week.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    July 2: C25K W7D3 - 2.0 miles running (25 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 4: C25K W8D1 - 2.4 miles running (30 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 6: C25K W8D2 - 2.3 miles running (28 minutes), 4.2 miles total
    July 8: C25K W8D3 - 2.4 miles running (30 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 10: 2.4 miles running (31 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 12: 2.5 miles running (32 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 14: 2.7 miles running (34 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 16: 3.1 miles running (49 min), 4.2 miles total
    July 18: 3.2 miles running (44 min), 4.2 miles total

Totals: 27.0/25 and 37.8/25

Having gone extra slow on Sunday paid off; I've added a minute and a half to my regular-slow pace. 14 minute miles for "easy" is the equivalent of a 36 minute 5k race, which sounds within reason. I was so cheerful at the 2.5 mile point that I picked up the pace considerably for the last bit.

Factors in my favor: cool temps (70 degrees and 90% humidity), snack before heading out, well-hydrated, two sessions of yoga since my last run, more engrossing listening material.

Should have set my goal higher, I see.
  • ctlaws44
    Options
    Thanks @ctlaws44 ! It does feel really great. I think my favorite part is how I just feel like a stronger runner. Even when I'm tired and beat, I don't really worry anymore about not being able to finish whatever distance I've set out to accomplish, because I've gained so much confidence in having the strength to gut it out. Best of luck to you on your marathon training! It's pretty cool that we're starting it in the same week!

Yes, to know you have reserve and a "cruise gear" to keep going is a great feeling! Thanks! I'm doing the marathon with a running buddy of mine who's done dozens of marathons and he's nonchalant about the training plan. This will be my first marathon so I'm a little nervous. He'll just register for a destination marathon last minute and finish them with decent times. Yes, that's good we're starting at the same time. I'm going to follow you on Strava so I can feel better that I'm following somewhat of a plan.