July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    @KatieJane83 - That feeling when you have a great run is so awesome! I love your pictures - such a beautiful view! Also you and @ctlaws44 might ping our resident BQ marathon runner, @MobyCarp to weigh in on training plans and best training runs!
    @skatardrummer - Welcome!! Many here have started with or are using C25K and it seems to work well.
    @MNLittleFinn - I had a similar injury from dehydration cramping. Rest and PT took care of it fairly quickly. Hope your recovery goes well!
    @ddmom0811 - yuck termites are the worst! Will you have to have the house tented or do they just treat in place like for subterranean termites. We have had both... at one time we actually had 3 kinds all in one piece of external wood. Our termite guy was so excited he cut it out to use for to show people... Hope your ankle is feeling better.
    @RespectTheKitty - love the park where you get to run! Looks lovely and cool.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @carolineb81 Congratulations on your first race!!! And below 30min too, that's awesome :smiley:

@Elise4270 Gah, don't ever write "google it if you dare" anywhere I can read it! Can't say to to a dare. Ugh, I did NOT need to see those pictures or read that rat king wiki page. And I'm afraid it's one of those things I'll remember for all eternity now.

@katharmonic
    I had a look at the "Undress" you linked and it looks really useful. For running I just throw a towel on my car seat before driving home, but maybe for swimming? Although I don't see how it would work with a one-piece swimsuit, guess you can only use it with bikinis...

@JessicaMcB Oh no, I'm sorry about your ankle! And what a scary moment on the trail. Glad you didn't get eaten; I hope the ankle is not a serious injury!

@BruinsGal_91 Congratulations on the age group win! :smiley:
  • shanaber
    Options
    @JessicaMcB - Oh no!! I hope it is nothing too serious and 'just' a sprain although I know they can take a while to heal!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Both hydration packs are tiny and adorable. Thank you for sharing them. I will have to pick one up if I decide to do another half. I have one I bought from Costco, and it is humongous in comparison to those. They look perfect.

@MNLittleFinn and @MobyCarp Congratulations on your races. Loved the race reports! Sorry to hear you are feeling injured @MNLittleFinn. Hope it just needs a little recovery.

@ddmom0811 Sorry for your third misfortune. Yes, you should have had your fill now. Time for some good luck!

@cburke8909 I have had two VO2 max tests. My max hr was 201 and 203 and my lactate threshold was 175 for the first one and 181 for the second. The people doing the tests insist there is no norm and everyone is different and should find their own thresholds/zones (admittedly, they are profiting from that idea). My Zone 1 is 128-141 and Zone 2 is 142-157. My husband is 50 and his max hr is in the low 180s. His zone 1 is around 100-112. I tried to do a lactate test on a track (5 min warm-up then set pace increasing every 3 mins until you feel you can't go another step) and it came very close to replicating the actual test. I didn't push myself quite as much as in the actual test as I only got my max up to 195, but if you factor in that you probably could go a minute or so longer, you could just add on 3 or 4 beats and figure you got close enough. If you don't have a race time to use, there are a few different lactate threshold tests described online that you can try yourself.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    July 18: 3.08 km and strength

MTD: 40.82 / 75 km

I started doing Strong Curves (strength training focusing on the glutes/legs) last week and I am achy all the time. As long as I can make myself go for a run after, it doesn't seem to be having a negative impact on my performance. Today, I ran for 20 mins without a walk break, which is a quick improvement for me after taking so many months off. I still have to do a run/walk in the warm-up and cool-down to keep my hr where I want it to be, but I love seeing progress.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I was watching Casual and there was a rat episode. Of course, I had to Google it and see what the heck. Its sad thing. I can't imagine how that even happens to rats, mice and squirrels. Such an odd thing. Like you, I had to read all about it, several times. Haha!

@RunRachelleRun I have a Walmart hydration pack for hiking (long walks). I suppose I could use it on the bike, but I bet it doesn't stay put very well. I love orange mud products. So I think thats way I'll go. I was originally looking for a Nathan. I'll probably order it today. I think if I went with the 1L, DH couldn't borrow it :wink: Maybe not even the 2L! I think, if he still has his Walmart one, it's under his truck seat, since... Uhohhh a year and a half ago? :grimace: (he didn't bother cleaning it) So I'll hafta hide a new one. :smiley:
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hi fellow runners!

7/3: 8.1k -easy run-
    7/4: 12.6k -intervals-
    7/6: 10.8k -2.5k w/u+8.3k progressive running-
    7/8: 8.5k -recovery after 2.2k swimming-
    7/9: 15.1k -Long run-
    7/10: -strength training-
    7/11: 10.7k -intervals-
    7/12: rest day due to terrible headache
    7/14: 13k -2.6k w/u, 8k Tempo, 2.4k c/d-
    7/15: 7.3k -Easy running-
    7/17: 5.1k -Urban run-
    7/18: 14k -w/u+Tempo-

I am enjoying to run this season. A long time away from injuries is a blessing!

105.2k/140k

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    7/29: 4th Nea Peramos Aquathlon
    9/16: 4th Kavala Night City Run 10k
    9/24: Xiropotamos Trail 2017 11k
    10/1: Voreia Sirris Challenge 23k
    10/15: Nestos Trail VFTU 10k
    11/26: 4th Democritus Half Marathon
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn gotta be careful with those elementary special ed kids - my mom is still under observation for a major concussion one of her students (also does elementary special ed) students gave her via head butting in May.

In other news.... my GP finally got back to me - with no more specifics but a "if it is still hurting after this long (5 weeks-ish no running and YES I have listened) we should consider PT and MRI" .... yes still hurting, not as bad, and the one doesn't seem swollen anymore, but 5 weeks rest will do that. The one ankle still pops when I walk.... the one achilles still seems rather unhappy.

But, my actual question is -- would it be unwise of me to attempt an interval run tonight to see how BADLY it still hurts before I chose to go down this path? I am aware that I am biased by being a cheapskate and not caring for/not having positive experiences with medical professionals in general. So I figured I would crowd source before I did something dumb out of spite.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn gotta be careful with those elementary special ed kids - my mom is still under observation for a major concussion one of her students (also does elementary special ed) students gave her via head butting in May.

In other news.... my GP finally got back to me - with no more specifics but a "if it is still hurting after this long (5 weeks-ish no running and YES I have listened) we should consider PT and MRI" .... yes still hurting, not as bad, and the one doesn't seem swollen anymore, but 5 weeks rest will do that. The one ankle still pops when I walk.... the one achilles still seems rather unhappy.

But, my actual question is -- would it be unwise of me to attempt an interval run tonight to see how BADLY it still hurts before I chose to go down this path? I am aware that I am biased by being a cheapskate and not caring for/not having positive experiences with medical professionals in general. So I figured I would crowd source before I did something dumb out of spite.

Ouch! I on the headbutt! I'd run and check it out. Of course, if it hurts be prepared to stop and console yourself with a treat. I suggest a frozen yogurt waffle cone.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »

@hanlonsk - YES it would be unwise to run intervals to test how bad an injury is. When something in your running chain is injured, iffy, or even just doubtful, the *FIRST* thing to cut out is speed work. Been there, ran through the pain (which wasn't all *that* bad!), ended up with a 16 mile month the month afterward.

Depending on what the issue is, sometimes you can get better simply by backing off the mileage a little and running everything easy. But keeping up on the speed work is likely to delay getting better, at best. At worst, you put yourself on the couch for a long time.

Rest. For as long as it takes. So it won't take longer.

That having been said, if you do end up in PT try to get in with a PT who does sports injuries and athletes. You can get some exercises tailored to exactly what your issue is, and some of them will be worth permanent inclusion in your routine to avoid future issues.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - I should have been more specific - when I say interval run I mean run/walk intervals - easy is about the only pace I have - anything less than 10min miles for me is like down hill with the wind on a perfect day. Realistically, if i were to try the running, since I have been out long enough to NOT be heat acclimated - and its like 100 degrees - it would probably be treadmill intervals with the runs at 12min mile pace. I am not a sophisticated enough/fast enough runner to have speed work as part of my routine even when I am in good shape. I think one has to have speed first for that to work.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @hanlonsk - Yeah, run/walk intervals with the runs at an easy-for-you pace would be an okay way to test recovery. Be prepared to abort a running interval if it doesn't feel totally right.

Speed work is relative. I know runners with mile race times slower than my easy runs; but they still do speed work at paces that are fast-for-them, and all the concerns about speed work on top of injury would still apply to them.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - how do you feel about unofficial intervals? Like I mention in my running report from last night...
    Today's run was intended just a get back on the band wagon run. Was figuring all zone 2, but while out there I randomly decided to run faster in short stretches. Over all spent 30% of the run in Zone 3. I am still hoping to get a MP below 9 minutes, but it seems so far away right now. I recall reading someplace that runs that have random speed ups in them were a good way to increase pace. I hope that is true, cause that is a work out I can probably manage to do with some regularity.

• KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp - how do you feel about unofficial intervals? Like I mention in my running report from last night...
    Today's run was intended just a get back on the band wagon run. Was figuring all zone 2, but while out there I randomly decided to run faster in short stretches. Over all spent 30% of the run in Zone 3. I am still hoping to get a MP below 9 minutes, but it seems so far away right now. I recall reading someplace that runs that have random speed ups in them were a good way to increase pace. I hope that is true, cause that is a work out I can probably manage to do with some regularity.

Disclaimer: I am NOT MobyCarp and do not claim to have anywhere near his level of experience/knowledge.

But, unofficial intervals are actually an official type of speed training, lol. They're called fartleks (I love that word, hehe). Basically picking random stretches to speed up and then recover in between. Often it's done with physical things on your route as reference, for example: run fast to the mailbox, then recover to the lamp post, then fast again to the next mailbox, then recover to the street sign, etc. runnersworld.com/fartlek
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Well shoot, I did not want to do anything REAL. :lol: But seriously, I guess if it has an official name it can not be a horrible idea at least. :smiley:

There are plenty of named bad ideas. This isn't one of them. I disagree with your statement in general, but not in this specific case.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Well shoot, I did not want to do anything REAL. :lol: But seriously, I guess if it has an official name it can not be a horrible idea at least. :smiley:

There are plenty of named bad ideas. This isn't one of them. I disagree with your statement in general, but not in this specific case.

I know, I was being humorous.... or attempting to be at least.
  • shanaber
    Options
    @Elise4270 - If you haven't ordered your Orange Mud yet my friend Rachel, is an OM ambassador. She has at least one review of their products on her blog and probably links to others. site https://thwisp.wordpress.com/favorite-things/
    She is also tiny so she may have hints that would be applicable. Best of all she has a discount code! Enter wispfriends at checkout. I have no idea how much the discount is but worth a try.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

New July goal....keep up with the posts, and retry to get 60 miles this month.

July 3....9 miles, average heart rate at 85%.
    July 8...9 miles, average heart rate at 83%..max at 90%.
    July 17...9 miles, average heart rate at 88%, max at 97%.

Total.... 27 miles

Very hot and humid yesterday, 85 degrees with 69% humidity. I chose to run at 3:30 p.m. due to already being in the area. Despite the heat, it really felt good to run. I had a hard time keeping my heart rate down and had to take some walking breaks. I gave up trying to keep my heart rate down after mile 5, and ran more at a tempo run. So probably 8-10 minutes walking all in all, 32 minutes in the zone.

Although my heart rate was high, my breathing didn't seem to increase that much and was very comfortable running at the pace. So not sure how much I trust the heart rate monitor. Should I still try to stay in the zone during the hot weather?