July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    7/1 - 7 miles. Beautiful morning to run!
    7/2 - Rest day.
    7/3 - 5 miles. Kinda sloggish.
    7/4 - 5 miles. Humid.
    7/5 - Nothing so far, we'll see. Fireworks hangover, slept in.
    7/6 - 5 miles. Crazy humidity level...so sticky.
    7/7 - 4 miles.
    7/8 - 7.2 miles.
    7/9 - Rest day.
    7/10 - 5 very sweaty miles.
    7/11 - Unplanned rest day. Hammies were not in good shape. Painful even.
    7/12 - 4 treadmill miles, then quick upper body weights.
    7/13 - 5 miles.
    7/14 - 5 miles.
    7/15 - Sick day...ick.
    7/16 - 7 miles.
    7/17 - 5 miles.
    7/18 - 4.7 miles. Super sticky! 76° and 96% humidity = running through soup.

exercise.png
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    After yesterday's hard run, today was a nice recovery run...well, nice if you ignore the 81F and 79% humidity that is. I ran a few miles of warm up before meeting with the group, which has now expanded by one more member, but then shrunk back down again as another member is moving to Seattle, and so today was her last run with us. After the usual 5-mile run with them, which includes running up the ramps of the nearby car park structure, I did another mile as a cool-down to get back to the office.

Looking at my numbers, it's highly doubtful I'll hit my goal...summer heat and having to retake a drug screening (forcing me to miss a long run) is taking its toll.

05 - 13.56
    06 - 9.72
    07 - 22.03
    10 - 13.55
    11 - 9.76
    12 - 13.11
    13 - 9.57
    17 - 13.56
    18 - 9.88

Total: 114.74 / 250 miles
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Didn't realize you are a teacher. I teach high school math.
  • cburke8909
    Options
    3.5 miles on elliptical trainer 65%zone 2 rest zone 1. I'm feeling better about those zones.

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    @MNLittleFinn Didn't realize you are a teacher. I teach high school math.

elementary federal setting 4 special education for me. job can get pretty physical....
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min
    7/13 rest
    7/14 6mi 58:45min
    7/15 5mi 48:28min
    7/16 10mi 1:41:20min
    7/17 rest
    7/18 6mi 57:17min
    7/19 7mi 67:29min

Went out early again this morning. I can't say I like waking up at 5:30/6am, but I sure love how much cooler it is! The sun just started coming up as I ran. One of the adjoining neighborhoods to mine is a 55+ community - lots of friendly, older faces out walking at 6:30 am :smile:

I'm glad tomorrow is a rest day. My legs feel tired.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Has anyone done this run before?

Sat, Oct 14: Viking Dash Trail Run: Cleveland Half Marathon, 15K & 5K in Peninsula, OH
    A friend asked if I wanted to do it and it means traveling up to OH from FL. But the timing is good for me. Never done trails so not sure that it would be good to just jump into a HM trail run.

http://americamultisport.com/v6/viking-dash-trail-run-cleveland/
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    One ankle is feeling a little bit of soreness so may take a rest from running tomorrow. If it isn't raining my ladies biking group will be rolling at 6pm for 20+ miles.

We just got a new AC in our house before our trip. Came home to termites in the bathroom after the trip. Came home to a broken refrigerator yesterday. OK, that's 3 things. We are done! ;)

7/1 - 5.5 miles - Barcelona!
    7/2 - 7.5 miles - Barcelona again!
    7/3 - 2 miles (Treadmill on cruise)
    7/4 - rest - lots of walking in Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo
    7/5 - 3 miles - 22 laps on cruise running track. Set out for 5 miles, but it wasn't fun.
    7/6 - rest - lots of walking in Rome
    7/7 - rest - Amalfi coast and Pompeii
    7/8 - 4.1 treadmill on cruise
    7/9 - rest - travel day
    7/10 - 7 miles in Munich
    7/11 - 6 miles in Munich
    7/12 - travel day
    7/13 - 4.2 miles back home w/daughter
    7/14 - 6.0 miles
    7/15 - 45 miles biking
    7/16 - 28 miles biking
    7/17 - 4.6 miles
    7/18 - 5.1 miles

exercise.png

• cburke8909
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn my wife works mostly pre-school as an occupational therapist, she has given me a good education on your type of students.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hydration pack advice.

I know my miles aren't long. But it's haaaawwwt. I found one I want. The question is: what bladder size is best? I have the option of 1-4L. I anticipate my longest runs (ever) to be half distances.

Thoughts?

More Orange Mud https://www.orangemud.com/products/bpvp70?variant=16940288324

Or the 1L one? Which I am partial to. Smaller, lighter. But is 1L adequate. I currently don't drink that much on a run. oh guess I could get both...give one to DH.... Then I can use his (stinky, sweaty gear). Hmm. Nah.

https://www.orangemud.com/products/gear-vest-1l

I have a 2L orange mud one and it does great. They aren't too big either way and it holds enough for me to run 16 miles through the desert and make it out the other side before hitting empty. At 5'9" I would call the 2L extremely comfortable for my size, it fits all around. The chest is getting close to being on the tight side though (the strap is all the way out) but everywhere else is good. If you are smaller than me then maybe the 1-1,5L would be better size wise and as long as you aren't charging out into the middle of nowhere that amount of water should last a good while.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to running and use the C5k app...not much of July left, so will set my goal to 15 miles since I'm slow and very overweight, so I have to do it the right way to build up. I'm also doing a cardio class twice a week

As someone who is not that far ahead of you, 15 miles in 2 weeks is a pretty aggressive goal for C25K! I didn't get up to 2.5 miles of combined walk-run until Week 6.
  • hesfeld
    hesfeld Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hi guys. I want a mulligan on July. Besides having an injury, my ac went out this past weekend when it was 102 outside. It's now kinda working but sounds subpar so I'm not holding my breath. I felt sick like I got overheated in my own house so I'm just now feeling back up to working out. I just wanted to drop in and say I must be a true runner because I just had to search through my emails and my bank account to see if I signed up yet for a 5k in August. I'm sure the registration people would laugh if they saw my name twice.

Not to diverge from running, but has anyone in here ever done a benefit climb up like a skyscraper? There's one in March for American Lung Association I think is 80 flights or more. I have asthma so it's near and dear. I'm just not sure if my legs and lungs can handle it.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    ctlaws44 wrote: »
    Thanks @ctlaws44 ! It does feel really great. I think my favorite part is how I just feel like a stronger runner. Even when I'm tired and beat, I don't really worry anymore about not being able to finish whatever distance I've set out to accomplish, because I've gained so much confidence in having the strength to gut it out. Best of luck to you on your marathon training! It's pretty cool that we're starting it in the same week!

Yes, to know you have reserve and a "cruise gear" to keep going is a great feeling! Thanks! I'm doing the marathon with a running buddy of mine who's done dozens of marathons and he's nonchalant about the training plan. This will be my first marathon so I'm a little nervous. He'll just register for a destination marathon last minute and finish them with decent times. Yes, that's good we're starting at the same time. I'm going to follow you on Strava so I can feel better that I'm following somewhat of a plan.

Nice!

Ha, yeah, must be nice to just be able to sign up for marathons willy nilly, lol. Are you guys following any kind of plan, or just winging it? My plan is kinda intense, so hopefully I can keep up with it!
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @hesfeld, mulligan granted. :)

@skatardrummer, welcome!!

@LittleMissWonderWoman, fellow dancer-while-running here. Whenever I reach a new goal I can't help it.

@BruinsGal_91, congratulations on your AG win!

3.5 horrific miles on the treadmill yesterday. First time I've ran (run?) on a treadmill in a long time and it was so hard. I couldn't find my stride, couldn't catch my breath, went slower than normal for quite a while, and it was boring and seemed like it was taking forever. Plus, the treadmill incline wasn't working on either machine I tried so I hadto run with it flat. Won't be doing that again if I can help it.

July total: 38.11 / 60
  • ctlaws44
    ctlaws44 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Thanks @ctlaws44 ! It does feel really great. I think my favorite part is how I just feel like a stronger runner. Even when I'm tired and beat, I don't really worry anymore about not being able to finish whatever distance I've set out to accomplish, because I've gained so much confidence in having the strength to gut it out. Best of luck to you on your marathon training! It's pretty cool that we're starting it in the same week!

Yes, to know you have reserve and a "cruise gear" to keep going is a great feeling! Thanks! I'm doing the marathon with a running buddy of mine who's done dozens of marathons and he's nonchalant about the training plan. This will be my first marathon so I'm a little nervous. He'll just register for a destination marathon last minute and finish them with decent times. Yes, that's good we're starting at the same time. I'm going to follow you on Strava so I can feel better that I'm following somewhat of a plan.

Nice!

Ha, yeah, must be nice to just be able to sign up for marathons willy nilly, lol. Are you guys following any kind of plan, or just winging it? My plan is kinda intense, so hopefully I can keep up with it!

K, good luck with your plan. I'm sure if you follow it pretty good, you'll feel ready. I'm trying to follow a plan my buddy gave me but it just lists distances on days. Later in the plan it just says "Speed Day 5.0 miles". What do I do with that Patches O'Houlihan?!? After reading a lot of this thread, I feel like there should be different kinds of runs like Tempo and Interval. I'm going to get out to a track and do some speed work like I see you and the others do.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

Nice!

K, good luck with your plan. I'm sure if you follow it pretty good, you'll feel ready. I'm trying to follow a plan my buddy gave me but it just lists distances on days. Later in the plan it just says "Speed Day 5.0 miles". What do I do with that Patches O'Houlihan?!? After reading a lot of this thread, I feel like there should be different kinds of runs like Tempo and Interval. I'm going to get out to a track and do some speed work like I see you and the others do.

:D:D:D Well, my resident office crazy marathoner (who I got my training plan recommendation from), and who regularly BQs, and places quite far forward in the corrals/waves, told me that the most important type of run in the plan is the LT tempo run. I think he also said the VO2 max runs were important. I have another acquaintance who does fulls and ultras also tell me the tempo run is super important. So, take that for what it is, lol. I'm pretty sure, that at the level that at least I am at, having never run a full marathon before, that any type of speed training is going to be beneficial, and I probably shouldn't be too stressed about getting the right types on the right days in the right weeks, lol.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hydration pack advice.

I know my miles aren't long. But it's haaaawwwt. I found one I want. The question is: what bladder size is best? I have the option of 1-4L. I anticipate my longest runs (ever) to be half distances.

Thoughts?

More Orange Mud https://www.orangemud.com/products/bpvp70?variant=16940288324

Or the 1L one? Which I am partial to. Smaller, lighter. But is 1L adequate. I currently don't drink that much on a run. oh guess I could get both...give one to DH.... Then I can use his (stinky, sweaty gear). Hmm. Nah.

https://www.orangemud.com/products/gear-vest-1l

I have a 2L orange mud one and it does great. They aren't too big either way and it holds enough for me to run 16 miles through the desert and make it out the other side before hitting empty. At 5'9" I would call the 2L extremely comfortable for my size, it fits all around. The chest is getting close to being on the tight side though (the strap is all the way out) but everywhere else is good. If you are smaller than me then maybe the 1-1,5L would be better size wise and as long as you aren't charging out into the middle of nowhere that amount of water should last a good while.

Yay! I'm am smaller. 5'5" female. Sorry to hear the chest is getting tight on yours. Maybe that's a good thing, if you're working on it?

Thanks for the info!
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to running and use the C5k app...not much of July left, so will set my goal to 15 miles since I'm slow and very overweight, so I have to do it the right way to build up. I'm also doing a cardio class twice a week

Welcome. I am just starting too. I am on week 2 day 2 of C25k.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I got up at 4 to run trail before Ben got up to go to work. There were parts of a dead animal (I think cat or rabbit but hard to tell) all over the trail all of a sudden but I was too far in for turning around to make sense.

So I have my bear mace out, I'm trying to gun it through to try to avoid confronting the bear or cougar (we have both roaming town) that left it's breakfast all over the damn place and I struck a root wrong. Rolled my ankle bad and actually had to stop for a second because *kitten* ow. Then I heard that "woman screaming" coyote call and decided to get over it and run lol.

Now I can only barely weight bear and the only way I can flex my foot is onto my toes like this:

5lfku89txpqt.jpg

I do not have time for this *kitten*. Going to the ER in an hour after talking to HealthLink.

In short, *kitten* you too roots.

July 1- 9.7
    July 2- 5
    July 3- Off
    July 4- 11.7
    July 6- 12.1
    July 7- 7.6
    July 8- 21
    July 9- 20.5
    July 10- Off
    July 11- 18
    July 12 -19