July 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    karllundy wrote: »
    Tomorrow starts 8 days of travel. I have 3 straight days of flights as I go for a quick work trip to NYC and then immediately for a trip out to the midwest to see the family. Forecast for Iowa looks pretty brutal (as I know @karllundy can attest, seems like it's been a really hot summer there). I'll have to get up early and find as many shaded trails as I can. Where my mom lives is a new development and is sorely lacking in shade.

Yep. I run at ~4:45 a.m. and it's been ~75° and humid more mornings than not the last few weeks. More of the same this week. Be safe! Have a great trip!

I've been trying to get more runs in early a.m. for this same reason. But I'm not a morning person at all, so it's been a struggle. Yesterday (weekend, of course), I started at 7am and it was pretty good at first until it warmed up.

I keep telling myself that I need to stop using the heat as an excuse for having such a slow pace recently, but then I'm reminded at times like yesterday that the heat really truly makes a difference.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow starts 8 days of travel. I have 3 straight days of flights as I go for a quick work trip to NYC and then immediately for a trip out to the midwest to see the family. Forecast for Iowa looks pretty brutal (as I know @karllundy can attest, seems like it's been a really hot summer there). I'll have to get up early and find as many shaded trails as I can. Where my mom lives is a new development and is sorely lacking in shade.

Yep. I run at ~4:45 a.m. and it's been ~75° and humid more mornings than not the last few weeks. More of the same this week. Be safe! Have a great trip!

I've been trying to get more runs in early a.m. for this same reason. But I'm not a morning person at all, so it's been a struggle. Yesterday (weekend, of course), I started at 7am and it was pretty good at first until it warmed up.

I keep telling myself that I need to stop using the heat as an excuse for having such a slow pace recently, but then I'm reminded at times like yesterday that the heat really truly makes a difference.

Yeah, I'm not a morning person either. Especially when on vacation! Not sure I'll be able to get out early enough to beat the heat too much. But we'll see! The heat really does make a difference, but as our coach is always telling us, then when it cools down in the fall it will feel so easy!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Yeah, I'm not a morning person either. Especially when on vacation! Not sure I'll be able to get out early enough to beat the heat too much. But we'll see! The heat really does make a difference, but as our coach is always telling us, then when it cools down in the fall it will feel so easy!

Oh yes... I'm so looking forward to the fall when it is cool!
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Ditto. I have to be out the door by 5am. The heat gets unbearable in Central Texas once the sun comes up. I am not looking forward to 104 next Monday....

42203w3b519e.png

• AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    7/1 = gym day: 1 hour strength training
    7/2 = 13 miles with running group (run/walk)
    7/3 = 7.5 miles & 30 minutes strength training
    7/4 = Vinyasa yoga class & 4 miles hiking with hubby and pups
    7/5 = 7.5 miles (6 - 5 minutes speed intervals)
    7/6 = 5.5 miles
    7/7 = 3 miles (track workout: 2 laps warm up, x8 300m sprints, x8 100m recovery walk, 2 laps cool down) & gym Kettlebell workout
    7/8 = 5.5 miles
    7/9 = 13 miles
    7/10 = 7 miles & 45 minutes strength training
    7/11 = Vinyasa yoga class
    7/12 = 8 miles (6 - 6 minutes speed intervals)
    7/13 = 4.5 miles
    7/14 = 3.5 miles (track workout 400m sprints with 100m recovery) & 45 minutes strength training
    7/15 = 5.5 miles
    7/16 = 13.5 miles
    7/17 = 7 miles & 45 minutes of strength training

Nothing much to report. Just 7 hot, humid and early slow miles on the regular running route.

(July miles to date) 106/170 (July goal miles)

Upcoming 2017 Races:
    8/12 = Verns No Frills 100 Anniversary 5K Race
    10/28 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/23 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    12/10 = BCS Half Marathon
  • AmyOutOfControl
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Upside- I'm ordering a size smaller in work pants today :relieved:

Congrats on the smaller size! That is such a great feeling. :)
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    7/1 4mi 39:56min
    7/2 rest
    7/3 6mi 56:06min
    7/4 7mi 67:36min
    7/5 rest
    7/6 10mi 1:38:49min
    7/7 5mi 47:19min
    7/9 4mi 38:35min
    7/10 rest
    7/11 6mi 57:54min
    7/12 4mi 37:22min
    7/13 rest
    7/14 6mi 58:45min
    7/15 5mi 48:28min
    7/16 10mi 1:41:20min
    7/17 rest
    7/18 6mi 57:17min

Woke up early to get my run finished before it started raining. Weather wasn't bad at all except a little humid. 7 miles early tomorrow morning.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Hydration pack advice.

I know my miles aren't long. But it's haaaawwwt. I found one I want. The question is: what bladder size is best? I have the option of 1-4L. I anticipate my longest runs (ever) to be half distances.

Thoughts?

More Orange Mud https://www.orangemud.com/products/bpvp70?variant=16940288324

Or the 1L one? Which I am partial to. Smaller, lighter. But is 1L adequate. I currently don't drink that much on a run. oh guess I could get both...give one to DH.... Then I can use his (stinky, sweaty gear). Hmm. Nah.

https://www.orangemud.com/products/gear-vest-1l
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My phone exploded while I was running. I was jamming out, moonsliding at some points and then boom. Thank god I don't hold my phone anymore when I do runs.

Umm what is "moonsliding" and what do you mean by exploded? :scream:

Well, it was a fail at moonsliding. When I get really into my runs I sometimes just stop and dance. Have you heard of Michael Jackson? He made it unbelievably popular. In fact, I believe it was his song Billy Jean that I was dancing to. And my phone overheated while I had it in a fanny pack of some sort (idk what to call it, my dad got it for me) and all I felt was a slight punch to the stomach. I opened the pack and there was something oozing out from my phone. It really sucks but, good news is that I get a new phone tomorrow!
    Sorry for the late response, btw.
  • LittleMissWonderWoman
    LittleMissWonderWoman Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @LittleMissWonderWoman - your phone exploded? The battery must have overheated! Where were you carrying it and I hope you didn't get hurt or burned!

No, just slight stomach pain. You're correct, the battery had overheated. I was carrying it in a runner's fanny pack (I'm not sure what to call it) so, I didn't get burned, thank God.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Looking for some advice on 80/20. I have had my heart rate monitor for almost a week and I am looking at the data, trying to figure out my zones. Saturday was my first long run with the device. I got up early on little sleep.(I took my Dad to the Sox-Yankees game Friday night. Great game won in the 9th by the good guys on a walk-off BB.) I ran with no fuel just water. I felt good and ran the 12 plus miles in over 2 hours at a 10:30 pace. My threshold for zone 2 is 133 bpm. and zone 3 158 bpm. The data shows me in zone 3 for 88% of the run with 7% in zone 4. I have trouble believing this is right. If I'm in zone 3 it doesn't make sense that I could function there that long and feel comfortable. This am I did my first fast finish with a zone 3 finish at the end. I ran the last two miles in under 15minutes which might have been a bit fast but again, I felt like I was pushing it but not killing myself. The monitor showed my easy run early as in zone 2 and 3.(more 3 than 2) and my finish as mostly zone 4 with some zone 3 and a little zone 5. I'm thinking I have been too conservative with my heart rate numbers for my zones. I think, I need to increase the thresholds by 10 bpm. I am open to any thoughts on the matter.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    4.25 today, wasn't feeling 5+ today.
    exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @LittleMissWonderWoman love hearing that you were dancing while running. I have to admit there are times on some of my lost runs where I just loose it and shake my groove a little. It shouldn't cost you your phone. I believe the term you were looking for is "moonwalk" that was the dance MJ reintroduced with his thriller album. He was if I wrong please forgive me doing that dance move back when he was the youngest member of the Jackson 5. Keep smiling and running.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    My phone exploded while I was running. I was jamming out, moonsliding at some points and then boom. Thank god I don't hold my phone anymore when I do runs.

Umm what is "moonsliding" and what do you mean by exploded? :scream:

Well, it was a fail at moonsliding. When I get really into my runs I sometimes just stop and dance. Have you heard of Michael Jackson? He made it unbelievably popular. In fact, I believe it was his song Billy Jean that I was dancing to. And my phone overheated while I had it in a fanny pack of some sort (idk what to call it, my dad got it for me) and all I felt was a slight punch to the stomach. I opened the pack and there was something oozing out from my phone. It really sucks but, good news is that I get a new phone tomorrow!
    Sorry for the late response, btw.

OH You mean MOON WALKING :)