Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Kami1990 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    If you don't mind my asking, I have heard of intermittent fasting, however I don't know the science behind it. I guess I could just google it but thought maybe you could just give me an idea. How is it different if I ate 1500 calories in a 12 hour window versus the same amount of calories in an 8 hour window? I am currently doing keto and wanted to see if maybe this is something I could fit into my lifestyle. Thank you in advance! :)

there is no difference. it just helps some adhere to their calories if they have a window of time to eat it. even with IF you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. I have done IF most of my life because Im not a breakfast person. and I have also gained weight eating too much in my window of time.weight loss is not going to be any faster if you eat the same amount of calories , meal timing has no effect on weight loss,gain,etc

This is me - I have never been a big breakfast eater and skip it most of the time. There is nothing magical about IF - I got fat eating 2 meals a day and lost a ton of weight eating 2 meals a day. It all boils down to how many calories you eat during the eating-window.

Oh yeah, you definitely have to monitor your caloric intake. People make the mistake of eating fast food thinking they'll lose weight if they fast the rest of the day. Unfortunately, you still have to make healthy choices!

I eat what I wanted and still lost/lose weght.. that includes fast food. and if you eat fast food and eat nothing the rest of the day as long as you are in a deficit of calories you WILL lose weight.

True, if you can handle eating once a day and count calories and if your body doesn't bloat terribly. Everyone's calorie needs are different. I definitely can't eat once a day lol. And fast food bloats me so bad, even just one meal, I will gain. Everyone's bodies are different :)

So if you eat a meal within your calorie allowance you'll gain fat? We aren't that different.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    If you don't mind my asking, I have heard of intermittent fasting, however I don't know the science behind it. I guess I could just google it but thought maybe you could just give me an idea. How is it different if I ate 1500 calories in a 12 hour window versus the same amount of calories in an 8 hour window? I am currently doing keto and wanted to see if maybe this is something I could fit into my lifestyle. Thank you in advance! :)

Great question! I'm not an expert. But... Your body fully digests your last meal after 6 hours. The next 10 hours of fasting starts burning the fat you have stored as you sleep. It's best to work out during your fasting window also.

Citation please since you mentioned research.
  • jrowden0711
    jrowden0711 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse and noticed many of my colleagues would eat throughout the night to keep themselves awake. I was bound and determined to not let this happen to me when I switched to nights and started following a 17:7 fast. It works well with my schedule and I feel full and satisfied. Not to mention I have lost between 30 and 40 lbs since switching to night shift. I usually have my first meal between 5 and 6 pm and my last meal no later than midnight or 1 am depending on whebbi had my first meal. I do not log my calories, it do make an effort to eat a well balanced diet and practice portion control.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Y

Great question! I'm not an expert. But... Your body fully digests your last meal after 6 hours. The next 10 hours of fasting starts burning the fat you have stored as you sleep. It's best to work out during your fasting window also.

it takes 6-8 hrs to digest a meal,but will vary from person to person. as for fat burning it does happen at rest but working out while fasting isnt going to make a difference either as some people cannot work out fasted due to blood sugar issues and other health issues. The best time to work out is when you want to. there is no best time

I agree but have to point out digestion takes 30+ hours from gum to bum.

"There is no best time" different people have different opinions. Right down to the experts. Added benefit from exercising during fasting may or may not be true. Research the internet and you'll find different articles on IF singing different tunes. You say tomayto I say tomotto.

But some of the things you said were straight out wrong. There are different opinions but not different facts. For example digestion times. It's a fact you don't fully digest food within 6 hours. Also it's a fact that you don't store new fat in a calorie deficit. Not all "experts" are created equally and not everything you read on the internet is true. Vetting sources is an important skill.

Well aren't you just a ball of sunshine? Please leave your sources of "facts "linked below. I would love to check them out! Perhaps, I was misinformed.

That's not the way it works. You made the initial claims.......you obviously had a source for those claims. Why not publish them here?

@singingflutelady shouldn't have to disprove all the "theories" you presented as facts. You fact check you.
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2017
    Options

it takes 6-8 hrs to digest a meal,but will vary from person to person. as for fat burning it does happen at rest but working out while fasting isnt going to make a difference either as some people cannot work out fasted due to blood sugar issues and other health issues. The best time to work out is when you want to. there is no best time

"There is no best time" different people have different opinions. Right down to the experts. Added benefit from exercising during fasting may or may not be true. Research the internet and you'll find different articles on IF singing different tunes. You say tomayto I say tomotto.

But some of the things you said were straight out wrong. There are different opinions but not different facts. For example digestion times. It's a fact you don't fully digest food within 6 hours. Also it's a fact that you don't store new fat in a calorie deficit. Not all "experts" are created equally and not everything you read on the internet is true. Vetting sources is an important skill.

Well aren't you just a ball of sunshine? Please leave your sources of "facts "linked below. I would love to check them out! Perhaps, I was misinformed.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/digestive-system/expert-answers/faq-20058340

Digestion time varies between individuals and between men and women. After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and, finally, elimination of undigested food.

In the 1980s, Mayo Clinic researchers measured digestion time in 21 healthy people. Total transit time, from eating to elimination in stool, averaged 53 hours (although that figure is a little overstated, because the markers used by the researchers passed more slowly through the stomach than actual food). The average transit time through just the large intestine (colon) was 40 hours, with significant difference between men and women: 33 hours for men, 47 hours for women.

Two British doctors studied digestion time in children. They fed 35 children juice containing a red marker and asked the children's mothers to note when the stool first turned red. The mean time of transit from mouth to *kitten* for the group was 33 hours (meaning half the children had digestion times slower than this and half had digestion times greater than this).

• Fitkam90
    Fitkam90 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I'm a night shift nurse and noticed many of my colleagues would eat throughout the night to keep themselves awake. I was bound and determined to not let this happen to me when I switched to nights and started following a 17:7 fast. It works well with my schedule and I feel full and satisfied. Not to mention I have lost between 30 and 40 lbs since switching to night shift. I usually have my first meal between 5 and 6 pm and my last meal no later than midnight or 1 am depending on whebbi had my first meal. I do not log my calories, it do make an effort to eat a well balanced diet and practice portion control.

That's great! 30-40 lbs is alot! Good luck to you!
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Y

That's not the way it works. You made the initial claims.......you obviously had a source for those claims. Why not publish them here?

@singingflutelady shouldn't have to disprove all the "theories" you presented as facts. You fact check you.

Too right you are.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've been doing IF for around two weeks, its really helping me stick to my goals.
  • singingflutelady
    edited September 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Y

Nm I am in a snarky mood
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

there is no difference. it just helps some adhere to their calories if they have a window of time to eat it. even with IF you still have to be in a deficit to lose weight. I have done IF most of my life because Im not a breakfast person. and I have also gained weight eating too much in my window of time.weight loss is not going to be any faster if you eat the same amount of calories , meal timing has no effect on weight loss,gain,etc

This is me - I have never been a big breakfast eater and skip it most of the time. There is nothing magical about IF - I got fat eating 2 meals a day and lost a ton of weight eating 2 meals a day. It all boils down to how many calories you eat during the eating-window.

Oh yeah, you definitely have to monitor your caloric intake. People make the mistake of eating fast food thinking they'll lose weight if they fast the rest of the day. Unfortunately, you still have to make healthy choices!

Fast food doesn't make you gain weight. Eating more calories than you burn does.

This was flagged as abusive? Really?
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    AMV91 wrote: »
    I've been doing IF for around two weeks, its really helping me stick to my goals.

I'm glad it's working for you! So cool :)
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Fitkam90 wrote: »

Digestion time varies between individuals and between men and women. After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and, finally, elimination of undigested food.

In the 1980s, Mayo Clinic researchers measured digestion time in 21 healthy people. Total transit time, from eating to elimination in stool, averaged 53 hours (although that figure is a little overstated, because the markers used by the researchers passed more slowly through the stomach than actual food). The average transit time through just the large intestine (colon) was 40 hours, with significant difference between men and women: 33 hours for men, 47 hours for women.

Two British doctors studied digestion time in children. They fed 35 children juice containing a red marker and asked the children's mothers to note when the stool first turned red. The mean time of transit from mouth to *kitten* for the group was 33 hours (meaning half the children had digestion times slower than this and half had digestion times greater than this).

There that 6 hour reference to digestion is in the 2nd sentence. When I said fully digest, I meant stomach. I don't believe I mentioned anything about bowel movements. I get my information from youtubers, who have done intermittent fasting and reaped success. I'm certain I said "I'm not an expert" Thank you, Mayo Clinic, I'm glad to know I'm a regular pooper.

But digestion doesn't stop once food leaves your stomach "After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and, finally, elimination of undigested food.
  • Fitkam90
    Options

There that 6 hour reference to digestion is in the 2nd sentence. When I said fully digest, I meant stomach. I don't believe I mentioned anything about bowel movements. I get my information from youtubers, who have done intermittent fasting and reaped success. I'm certain I said "I'm not an expert" Thank you, Mayo Clinic, I'm glad to know I'm a regular pooper.

But digestion doesn't stop once food leaves your stomach "After you eat, it takes about six to eight hours for food to pass through your stomach and small intestine. Food then enters your large intestine (colon) for further digestion, absorption of water and, finally, elimination of undigested food.

Too right you are. I was only talking about belly digestion :smile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

My weight loss was this.....my weight loss was that. That's your source of "factual" information? More like mis-information.

Your posts came across as "these are facts." Spreading misinformation is frowned upon.

My take - I read a book about intermittent fasting Dr. Mosely. He wrote 1-1.5 chapters of the book and left the rest to someone else (someone with no medical license......to lose). You can find him on YouTube too.

His "theory" went something like this.......my blood tests before weight loss were x, y & z. I lost weight doing 5:2, and after weight loss my blood tests were a, b, and c.

Readers were to assume that was "proof" of something. The someone else said as much throughout the rest of the book. But here's the problem. Many people who lose weight (using ANY method) will see some improved blood tests. People who start exercise can have improved blood tests. People who eat a Mediterranean diet can have improved blood tests. ANY NUMBER of factors could have improved his blood tests. Yet he's making loads of money peddling this "knowledge".....this "proof." Now he's moved onto another diet, the blood type diet......a regular chip of the ole Dr. Oz.

• juanitarochelle2014
    Options
    I've been doing 23:1/ 20:4 for 2 months and I'm back to my ideal weight which I lost 15lbs I get so full I made my stomach shrunk that I get full faster and still have energy .. ;)
  • Fitkam90
    Options
    I've been doing 23:1/ 20:4 for 2 months and I'm back to my ideal weight which I lost 15lbs I get so full I made my stomach shrunk that I get full faster and still have energy .. ;)

That's awesome! Congratulations. That motivates me to keep going! : )
  • moon_light_owl
    moon_light_owl Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I tryed it but , it's to hard .
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Google Dr Bert Herring and Dr Pung...they are great reads
This discussion has been closed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!