Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• ArvinSloane
    ArvinSloane Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Since I'm a smaller female, it isn't realistic to work-in on free weights for me. But if I ask them to let me know when they are done and tell them where I will be, they are all over finding me. Not to mention helping me load my weights.

To be honest, I'm quite happy for a "smaller female" or anyone else to work in. I'll just strip the bar down. Its not hard work or annoying but I understand that people, and maybe especially women, aren't always comfortable about a strength disparity or may feel like they're being judged or causing a nuisance. I hope that doesn't sound patronising. I'm not a built guy by any means.

Just to chime in, as another small female, the main thing for me is height. There aren't a lot of other lifters in my gym who are 5'3", so it's not only unloading the bar, it's also adjusting the rack height for squat or bench. Which isn't intimidating, but it is a pain in the *kitten*. Honestly, if a guy is only going to be another ten minutes, I'd rather just wait. I'll usually just ask how many sets they have left and tell them not to hurry on my account.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i have to know . . . i've never even seen the inside of a men's locker room, but has anyone ever asked one of those proverbial older guys if they can 'work in' on the hand dryer? or asked how many sets they have left?

idk, maybe the old-guy-drying-his-balls is an urban myth. but if it isn't then i might pay to see such an exchange.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    i have to know . . . i've never even seen the inside of a men's locker room, but has anyone ever asked one of those proverbial older guys if they can 'work in' on the hand dryer? or asked how many sets they have left?

idk, maybe the old-guy-drying-his-balls is an urban myth. but if it isn't then i might pay to see such an exchange.
    Notthe gym, but that reminded me, when I was 18 and a (vwry youn looking) Freshman in college, some nasty old guy in one of my classes was constantly askung me and another woman to cut his hair and beard for him, and go to his house to cook him pizzas. It turned out he also lived close enough to me to see me walk to work. I did not walk after that :s

The worst part is that it was a childrens , class. We traveled to schools to perform. We were always skeeved out about him being with us there.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    lar25473 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

I guess I'm a bad gym-goer, but I do this and I didn't realize it bothered people! Can anyone explain why this could be annoying? As a female I have a tendency to try to choose machines nearest to other females to comfort myself and my anxiety around unknown males.

For me personally I try to give people space & I like my own space. To me it would be like sitting in an empty waiting room and then someone else comes in and sits right next to me. I would wonder why they are next to me when there is plenty of space.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

I guess I'm a bad gym-goer, but I do this and I didn't realize it bothered people! Can anyone explain why this could be annoying? As a female I have a tendency to try to choose machines nearest to other females to comfort myself and my anxiety around unknown males.

For me personally I try to give people space & I like my own space. To me it would be like sitting in an empty waiting room and then someone else comes in and sits right next to me. I would wonder why they are next to me when there is plenty of space.

Yep, like sitting next to someone on bus when you two and the driver are the only ones on it.
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Yep, like sitting next to someone on bus when you two and the driver are the only ones on it.

I think its just hardwired into ppl-safety in numbers from our tribe days.
  • PAFC84
    Options
    I don't think this topic has been brought up yet re gym etiquette; spotting.

If someone asks you to spot them and then proceeds to explain what exactly they want and you agree to how they want you to spot them, please FOLLOW those instructions to the letter.

In my case, i explain that I'd like help unracking the bar so that I don't lose tightness in my upper back and after that, no help at all unless I ask for it. Even if the speed of the bar slows down, don't touch it, unless I tell you I need help. I will grind out the weight. The guy agreed and then as soon as he helps me unrack the bar, his fingers and hands are all over the bar, touching, conmng down with me, still touching the bar, then back up, still touching the bar, whilst all the time saying "it's all you". And all I want to do is shout "IF IT'S ALL ME THEN STOP TOUCHING THE *kitten* BAR"
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

If someone asks you to spot them and then proceeds to explain what exactly they want and you agree to how they want you to spot them, please FOLLOW those instructions to the letter.

In my case, i explain that I'd like help unracking the bar so that I don't lose tightness in my upper back and after that, no help at all unless I ask for it. Even if the speed of the bar slows down, don't touch it, unless I tell you I need help. I will grind out the weight. The guy agreed and then as soon as he helps me unrack the bar, his fingers and hands are all over the bar, touching, conmng down with me, still touching the bar, then back up, still touching the bar, whilst all the time saying "it's all you". And all I want to do is shout "IF IT'S ALL ME THEN STOP TOUCHING THE *kitten* BAR"

This is why I only ask people I trust to spot me. Not everyone knows how to do it, they just think they do
  • PAFC84
    edited December 2017
    Options
    dym1 wrote: »

This is why I only ask people I trust to spot me. Not everyone knows how to do it, they just think they do

Agreed. Its hard to find people you trust unless you both are at the gym at the same time and you know them. Otherwise its trial and error with the emphasis on error.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.
    Ha! This is one of those things that seems to fall under "human condition" regardless the country. When I go to a gym in China, I have seen people sit there on their phones checking social media while the trainer they are paying extra for stands there and waits for them to finish.

Me? I leave my phone in the locker. Can use my phone in the pool anyway. Though I have see people stop and take a phone out to check while still in the pool.
    (when I'm in China, I have even more motive to lock up my phone. Came out after a 10km swim to find more than 9 desperate messages demanding immediate response that turned out not to be so urgent)
  • PAFC84
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.
    Ha! This is one of those things that seems to fall under "human condition" regardless the country. When I go to a gym in China, I have seen people sit there on their phones checking social media while the trainer they are paying extra for stands there and waits for them to finish.

Me? I leave my phone in the locker. Can use my phone in the pool anyway. Though I have see people stop and take a phone out to check while still in the pool.
    (when I'm in China, I have even more motive to lock up my phone. Came out after a 10km swim to find more than 9 desperate messages demanding immediate response that turned out not to be so urgent)

I haven't seen this is the pool I go to, thank goodness. These are really sad times
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I haven't seen this is the pool I go to, thank goodness. These are really sad times

Honestly I have seen this only at a pool in China. I think their social media addiction might be more severe than in the US. Plus they get scored by the govt on their social media use.
  • PAFC84
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Honestly I have seen this only at a pool in China. I think their social media addiction might be more severe than in the US. Plus they get scored by the govt on their social media use.

Yes that doesn't surprise me. It's exactly what it is-an addiction. What do they use that score to determine?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    I keep my phone with me on an arm band. It keeps track of my sets as I log them, times my recovery time and tells me when to do another, while tracking my progress it tells me to increase or decrease my weight as appropriate, it plays my music. The only time I check it for anything other than the above is, while stretching, check to make sure my gym time is properly logged in with my medical insurance provider so they will pay me my $20 per month after my 12th day of attendance/workout.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Exactly like that lol!
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    If you are doing 30 minute circuit there are two acceptable methods, 1 and go, use each machine, in time, and go to next machine when timer says. Or do 2-3 reps, but still using timer.
    Do NOT hog one machine for more than 3 sets , or use the leg machine to do sit ups, or ignore the timer. And if it is busy, ONLY 1 and go is acceptable.
    Basically, anytime you are preventing the others doing circuit from completing thier workout in 30 minutes, with every machine, you are being a jerk. ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other similar machines in other areas!

Yes!! I do a lot of circuit training. Usually needing 2 or 3 machines. If there is no one around then I'll spread my stuff out and bounce back and forth between machines. I would never monopolize a bunch of machines. I'll either change up my routine and just get it all done on one machine before moving on or I find something that's less popular. I tend to hit the gym during off peak times to avoid the crowds. But it drives me insane when people are rude. There were three guys at my gym today, all working together and hogging 4 different machines. Chatting and taking their time. There's a stair stepper (don't know what it's really called, but it's adjustable and attached to a weight rack). They were using it as a table. Everyone in the gym was avoiding it. Well, I needed it so I asked if they minded. They did. I pointed out that it's more than a table and politely moved their water bottles off. They didn't know what to say!
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Agreed. Its hard to find people you trust unless you both are at the gym at the same time and you know them. Otherwise its trial and error with the emphasis on error.

If none of the regulars are there, then I'll ask the gym owner, he's always there.
  • PAFC84
    Options

If none of the regulars are there, then I'll ask the gym owner, he's always there.

I go to a franchise gym, the manager doesn't even lift.