• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    robinrows wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    vingogly wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

And guys -- launder your gym clothes once in a while. No one wants to gag on your stink.

There are a few members who literally wear the same exact outfit to the gym every single day like it’s their uniform. Hey whatever you are comfortable wearing, I don’t treat the gym like a fashion show either. But I do secretly wonder if they wash it between visits.

or.....they own several sets of identical kit! I tend to stick with kit that doesn't rub (on longer rows), fits well etc - once I find something I like I buy several.

Same, I have 4 pair of same shorts and shirts I wear. Do something similar with work clothes. Easy to pick right stuff when basically all the same. Don’t really care if someone judges me on it. The clothes are clean and I don’t stink, why the *kitten* should they care.

• spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    FTR, it is extremely unlikely for women to develop "bulging muscles." A lot of women are concerned about that, but for no good reason.

And FWIW, muscular arms and legs on a woman are extremely hot. IMO, of course.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Lol! You know what bothers me? People that daintily lift light weights, barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard and continue to look the same week after week, month after month, year after year.

This can be on purpose, you know! It's called maintenance. Not everyone wants to develop bulging muscles, they just want to stay toned and fit. So there's no need to ramp up the weights! I used to do this exact same thing for almost two years straight! Got to where I wanted to be and then maintained it. I'm sure I looked exactly as you described, daintily lifting my weights and not looking any different. But it wasn't looks I was going for. Different people, different goals.

Whenever I read this, it’s first an eye roll, then, it’s sad.

It just is not true that women get bulky from lifting weight.

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

Why is this relevant? If someone is happy with their composition and just wants to maintain it, who the *kitten* are you to judge?

As a guy, I find your response disrespectful.

Ok.

I am someone that understands that for many women, the body they want is in the form of heavy lifting in a progressive program. Not hours of cardio, and not lifting tiny pink weights.

Do whatever you want, including being offended. But educating women about fitness should not be an offense.

It’s relevant because of the posts directly above this one. It’s relevant because women think lifting heavy will make them bulky. Seems like you read my post without reading the previous posts.

Context is important.

So, there part where she posts "Got to where I wanted to be and then maintained it." isn't part of the relevant context????? That's the part I found disrespectful.

I'm done.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    JerSchmare is 100% on point. He was correcting the notion, as stated here, that lifting heavy will cause women to develop bulging muscles. that is simply incorrect. To take offense at this is simply foolish.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Lol! You know what bothers me? People that daintily lift light weights, barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard and continue to look the same week after week, month after month, year after year.

This can be on purpose, you know! It's called maintenance. Not everyone wants to develop bulging muscles, they just want to stay toned and fit. So there's no need to ramp up the weights! I used to do this exact same thing for almost two years straight! Got to where I wanted to be and then maintained it. I'm sure I looked exactly as you described, daintily lifting my weights and not looking any different. But it wasn't looks I was going for. Different people, different goals.

Whenever I read this, it’s first an eye roll, then, it’s sad.

It just is not true that women get bulky from lifting weight.

Read this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky/p1

Why is this relevant? If someone is happy with their composition and just wants to maintain it, who the *kitten* are you to judge?

As a guy, I find your response disrespectful.

Ok.

I am someone that understands that for many women, the body they want is in the form of heavy lifting in a progressive program. Not hours of cardio, and not lifting tiny pink weights.

Do whatever you want, including being offended. But educating women about fitness should not be an offense.

It’s relevant because of the posts directly above this one. It’s relevant because women think lifting heavy will make them bulky. Seems like you read my post without reading the previous posts.

Context is important.

So, there part where she posts "Got to where I wanted to be and then maintained it." isn't part of the relevant context????? That's the part I found disrespectful.

I'm done.

What he’s trying to say is that you can lift progressively while eating at maintenance and never make and true changes to your composition whilst still furthing your fitness abilities. Why settle for less when you can achieve so much more is the context.

• spartan_d
    Options
    Also, when women are afraid of "getting bulky," I'd wager that they'd be pleasantly surprised at how they'd look if they went beyond mere maintenance. The women with sexy, muscular arms and legs are generally the ones who don't worry too much about bulking up.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Also, when women are afraid of "getting bulky," I'd wager that they'd be pleasantly surprised at how they'd look if they went beyond mere maintenance. The women with sexy, muscular arms and legs are generally the ones who don't worry too much about bulking up.

Exactly. I love it when women don’t look frail. A girl who can hold her own is very attractive. Same for men, a muscular one obviously looks more attractive than a slender one.
  • foxzami
    foxzami Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about the guy at my gym who has the treadmill up to a crazy speed and puffs loudly then grunts right next to me on the next machine. Drives me crazy
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Lifting progressively heavy weights will not make a woman bulky, though it will make them shapely, it will make her STRONGER!!!!!
  • PAFC84
    PAFC84 Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    The gym provides shower cubicles so please, stop showering in the sink. Also water goes in the sink, not all over the floor; dry up after yourself. If you use the plug and shave, take the plug out after you've finished rather than leaving your hairy water in the sink.
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    ive seen guys use the dryer to dry leak spots on the front of pants after peeing...