Gym etiquette

Options

Replies

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    PAFC84 wrote: »
    I don't think this topic has been brought up yet re gym etiquette; spotting.

If someone asks you to spot them and then proceeds to explain what exactly they want and you agree to how they want you to spot them, please FOLLOW those instructions to the letter.

In my case, i explain that I'd like help unracking the bar so that I don't lose tightness in my upper back and after that, no help at all unless I ask for it. Even if the speed of the bar slows down, don't touch it, unless I tell you I need help. I will grind out the weight. The guy agreed and then as soon as he helps me unrack the bar, his fingers and hands are all over the bar, touching, conmng down with me, still touching the bar, then back up, still touching the bar, whilst all the time saying "it's all you". And all I want to do is shout "IF IT'S ALL ME THEN STOP TOUCHING THE *kitten* BAR"

I was taught in PE that spotting required having hands on, in order to "catch", and that was the whole points of the job. Of course, I haven't done weights SINCE high school PE either.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    caiteh86 wrote: »
    joemac1988 wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

YES! And "No loud grunting or dropping weights!"
    That’s awesome.

Where should these guys grunt instead? Oh I know, perhaps when they at the library or church — maybe during a funeral — because a gym isn’t the place to exert yourself apparently.

Lol! You know what bothers me? People that daintily lift light weights, barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard and continue to look the same week after week, month after month, year after year.

Why does that bother you so much? It you're focused on what you're doing while at the gym, it shouldn't really concern you what people are doing. I think it's great to see ANYONE in the gym, doing their thing ... even if they aren't working as hard as YOU think they should be...
    People say that sort of thing all the time. Personally, I think you have to be tremendously unobservant NOT to notice these things... even if you are focused on your own routine. Being focused doesn't mean turning all power of observation off.

As far as why it bothers some... speaking to various people through the years, I can name a few of the reasons they've voiced. One is that they often take up space or equipment that others gym goers could really use. (I can personally relate to that one!) Also, some people can have a visceral reaction to seeing others poison themselves with tobacco or a steady diet of fattening food. It's not hard to see why these folks would feel similarly (though to a lesser extent) about folks who work out with poor form or little effort.

The point about how some people might have hidden physical disabilities is a valid one. I'd wager that this isn't usually the case, since (based again on my observations through the years) these people are usually the ones who use poor form or treat gym classes like a chatty social club. One can't always know for sure though, as I've also met some who have had back injuries or other limitations.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

That’s awesome.

Where should these guys grunt instead? Oh I know, perhaps when they at the library or church — maybe during a funeral — because a gym isn’t the place to exert yourself apparently.

Lol! You know what bothers me? People that daintily lift light weights, barely breaking a sweat or even breathing hard and continue to look the same week after week, month after month, year after year.

Why does that bother you so much? It you're focused on what you're doing while at the gym, it shouldn't really concern you what people are doing. I think it's great to see ANYONE in the gym, doing their thing ... even if they aren't working as hard as YOU think they should be...
    People say that sort of thing all the time. Personally, I think you have to be tremendously unobservant NOT to notice these things... even if you are focused on your own routine. Being focused doesn't mean turning all power of observation off.

As far as why it bothers some... speaking to various people through the years, I can name a few of the reasons they've voiced. One is that they often take up space or equipment that others gym goers could really use. (I can personally relate to that one!) Also, some people can have a visceral reaction to seeing others poison themselves with tobacco or a steady diet of fattening food. It's not hard to see why these folks would feel similarly (though to a lesser extent) about folks who work out with poor form or little effort.

The point about how some people might have hidden physical disabilities is a valid one. I'd wager that this isn't usually the case, since (based again on my observations through the years) these people are usually the ones who use poor form or treat gym classes like a chatty social club. One can't always know for sure though, as I've also met some who have had back injuries or other limitations.

If I can't use a piece of equipment because someone else is using it, it's the same impact to me whether they're using it in the most effective way or the least effective way. I can see how some people might feel better when they can't use it if the person who is currently occupying it is using it more effectively, but it doesn't make a difference to me.

Either way, whether I'm the type of person who will feel happier when I approve of their technique/plan or not, it's still a piece of equipment that I can't use.

To my mind, it's like being happier when I can't get a table at my favorite restaurant when I see that someone who does have a table has ordered my favorite dish instead of something that I don't care for as much. Do some people feel this way? I'm sure some people do, but it's not a feeling that I personally get. All I know is that I need to make alternate plans for dinner.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

That’s awesome.

If I can't use a piece of equipment because someone else is using it, it's the same impact to me whether they're using it in the most effective way or the least effective way. I can see how some people might feel better when they can't use it if the person who is currently occupying it is using it more effectively, but it doesn't make a difference to me.
    And that's fine, but I totally understand why others would say, "This person isn't even using the equipment right!" or "This person is just playing around. May as well give it up for people who'll actually put in some effort."

Heaven knows that I've certainly felt that way in crowded gym classes were people were chatting throughout the workout or barely doing the moves. So I can certainly understand why people would feel similarly about those who are technically "using" the equipment, but barely so.
    To my mind, it's like being happier when I can't get a table at my favorite restaurant when I see that someone who does have a table has ordered my favorite dish instead of something that I don't care for as much. Do some people feel this way? I'm sure some people do, but it's not a feeling that I personally get. All I know is that I need to make alternate plans for dinner
    That's not even remotely analogous, though. There's a huge difference between doing an ineffectual workout and ordering food that doesn't fit another person's personal taste.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

That’s awesome.

And that's fine, but I totally understand why others would say, "This person isn't even using the equipment right!" or "This person is just playing around. May as well give it up for people who'll actually put in some effort."

Heaven knows that I've certainly felt that way in crowded gym classes were people were chatting throughout the workout or barely doing the moves. So I can certainly understand why people would feel similarly about those who are technically "using" the equipment, but barely so.
    To my mind, it's like being happier when I can't get a table at my favorite restaurant when I see that someone who does have a table has ordered my favorite dish instead of something that I don't care for as much. Do some people feel this way? I'm sure some people do, but it's not a feeling that I personally get. All I know is that I need to make alternate plans for dinner
    That's not even remotely analogous, though. There's a huge difference between doing an ineffectual workout and ordering food that doesn't fit another person's personal taste.

As I said, I can intellectually understand why someone might feel frustrated -- I just don't feel that way myself.

When I see someone doing a workout that I personally don't see the point of, I don't conclude automatically that it's ineffectual. They may have goals or limitations that I don't quite understand. There have been things I've seen in gyms that I couldn't have explained at the time or would have maybe dismissed and I later find out that the behavior had a purpose (or at least the behavior has a legitimate purpose in other types of plans). Maybe I'm just more hesitant to draw conclusions based on brief observations . . . at least at the gym.

That's why I compare it to food. What someone else is doing in the gym may not be what I'm there to do, but that doesn't mean it isn't serving their purpose.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

That’s awesome.

That comment wasn't made in a vacuum. It was in response to others complaining about guys grunting and dropping weights because they were lifting heavy and exerting themselves.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I think its just hardwired into ppl-safety in numbers from our tribe days.

i'm just anal-retentive. and no, i don't do this specific behaviour because i like all the personal space i can get.

but to me the image instantly takes me to the way i like to stack things neatly when they're just things. fill up the available space in an orderly fashion from back of the cupboard to front. like cans of tomatoes etc.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

When I see someone doing a workout that I personally don't see the point of, I don't conclude automatically that it's ineffectual. They may have goals or limitations that I don't quite understand.

Yes, this. I've been doing a light day at high reps and low weight and I'm like... I wonder if people think I'm just tooling around? How would they know I'm coming off a *kitten* cold or an injury is on its way out and I'm testing the waters... and then that carries over to how I see what other people are up to. You can't possibly know what an individual's plans are for that day just by looking.

As for the "taking up space" comment and using equipment that someone else could be doing better with? :|
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Was it a harbinger belt? :D
    Hey big boy, get some big boy manners and wait in big boy line.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

When I see someone doing a workout that I personally don't see the point of, I don't conclude automatically that it's ineffectual. They may have goals or limitations that I don't quite understand.

Yes, this. I've been doing a light day at high reps and low weight and I'm like... I wonder if people think I'm just tooling around? How would they know I'm coming off a *kitten* cold or an injury is on its way out and I'm testing the waters... and then that carries over to how I see what other people are up to. You can't possibly know what an individual's plans are for that day just by looking.

As for the "taking up space" comment and using equipment that someone else could be doing better with? :|

Reminds me of when someone came up to me when I was squatting in the rack and asked me how many sets I had. When I told him he replied that "some of us want to shift big boy weights". I just told him that he looked like the sort that likes big boys and left it like that.

Needless to say that his form was horrendous but hey, he had a belt so I know he was hardcore ;)

That’s amazing. Who talks like that

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Needless to say that his form was horrendous but hey, he had a belt so I know he was hardcore ;)

eish. but just imagine how hard it would have sucked if his form had been perfect.

honestly, i haven't found myself feeling very safe counting on 'if you're a dick then you're also a poseur . . . and also, your lifts will be *kitten*' in the public space that i use. not an issue in the once-a-week private space because the guy who owns it doesn't allow either one of those things.

there just hasn't been any hard-and-fast rule. some of the most entitled dickheads i've seen have also had some of the most beautiful form.
    unfortunately. but that's my own childish petty side talking, of course
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.
    Each machine is calibrated slightly different from the next, heart rate monitor, resistance level are different from machine to machine... to effectively monitor progress... I try to use the same machine
  • razorbackred46
    razorbackred46 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »
    OK so I totally agree however as a guy I must say I try not to STARE, but and I know how comfortable those yoga pants must be. I try not to make it obvious, but your just gonna have to hit me over the head with that gladiator thing. I mean I'm a guy and if you got the booty I just cannot help myself. What am I suppose to do stare at the empty machine or the console. :p:p

don't dress like ur going to a porn shot.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Most gyms I have been to have signs for most of these apart from the common sense ones and they all have an induction session which tends to cover a few of the above listed too. It is annoying sometimes, but does everyone not get annoyed at people at work, in the grocery store, at the doctors' surgery, the dentist, etc. Do we all need an etiquette list for every single place we go... I mean do we need to be nannied and can there not be more tolerance for the odd (I am sure every single time you visit the gym, there is not someone annoying you), infraction?!

I bet you OP have annoyed some person at some time or other, no?