Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Jax2120 wrote: »
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    I have a favorite treadmill and I don't care who is next to it or if there are hundreds that are empty. I am so going on my favorite. And I will give a person the stink eye if they are on my treadmill!!! LOL!

What makes a treadmill a favorite? I’m not trying to be funny, I’m genuinely curious.
    Each machine is calibrated slightly different from the next, heart rate monitor, resistance level are different from machine to machine... to effectively monitor progress... I try to use the same machine

Hate to say it but no gym "calibrates" a cardio machine. They install it as it comes from the factory, will adjust as it wears/belts stretch, etc, but they don't go around and "calibrate" on a regular basis.

IMO, you are overthinking the monitoring of your workout if you have to use the same treadmill when training. Maybe the same brand/model, for consistency but not the same one.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    The only thing that really bugs me now is we have a lot of people who use the benches to set their phones and towels on, and rest the dumbbells on between their sets, as they workout NEXT TO THE BENCH.

I’ve gotten over most other things people do, but this thing just absolutely raises my blood pressure.

I just mocking apologize and ask if I can use their coffee table?
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Uh, remember that some of us are lifting those "little bitty weights" because we have we have a weight limitation due to an injury and can't lift heavy. My pet peeve is folks who leave 50 lb plates on equipment that there is no possible way I can safely move it so I have to go find a staff member or a kind, muscle bound weight lifter to do it for me. Also, by the time you are middle aged, staying "the same from year to year" actually results from lots of hard work and many hours in the gym. I have been a "gym rat" for over 10 years. At this point my heroes are the seventy and eighty year olds who are still getting in their daily workouts, still are flexible and strong, and still independent.

Some people have the belief that the only true form of fitness is lifting heavy and doing minimal cardio. Some of them look down upon other people who like other forms of exercise. Don't let it bother you. I believe the majority of heavy lifters have open minds and understand that there are others who cannot lift heavy or just do not want to.

I do not like lifting weights. I find it very boring and don't get any kind of inspiration doing it. The only reason why I do it is because I know it's good for my bones. I prefer lifting lighter and more reps. I don't know why, but it's much more enjoyable for me than lifting heavy. Sometimes I go months without lifting and I don't lose muscle bulk or strength. I still have no issue moving furniture or hauling and cutting firewood.

Do what works for you.

This is why I love my gym, powerlifters (like me) train along side strongmen, bodybuilders, weight lifters, boxers and older people just trying to stay mobile. We do not have traditional cardio machines, but you can flip a tire or push a sled in the parking lot. No one diminishes anyone's training method.
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    This is why I love my gym, powerlifters (like me) train along side strongmen, bodybuilders, weight lifters, boxers and older people just trying to stay mobile. We do not have traditional cardio machines, but you can flip a tire or push a sled in the parking lot. No one diminishes anyone's training method.[/quote]

My gym is pretty conventional. I've been there since September but thinking of cancelling my membership. I'm starting to get bored. I'm just not a gym/weights person. I love running, walking, swimming and cycling. I push my daughter in the jogging stroller, so I feel like that is a bit of resistance training for my arms and my legs. I did discover fitness blender videos on youtube. This definitely got me out of my comfort zone. The video I tried used a lot of body weight exercises. It felt effective to me.

What works for one may not work for others. I feel that some people really overthink exercise. CrossFit/heavy lifting is not a magic ticket to health. I feel that a balanced diet and moderate resistance training/cardio is good enough. If you are looking to body build or enter physique competitions, of course what I prefer would not be enough.

This whole thing of getting annoyed because someone is lifting a lighter weight really is silly. Get over yourself and go use another machine in the interim. Be happy that people are trying to get fit.
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

Rerack your weights

Don’t stare

Don’t interrupt people when they are in the middle of a set

Wipe equipment don’t after use (nobody wants to lay in your sweat & dandruff)

If the row of cardio machines is empty, don’t get right next to the one person on the treadmill.

Don’t think it’s okay to use 3 machines at the same time when people are waiting to use them.

If you are just sitting on a machine to use your phone or chit chat with your friend. Get off of it until you are ready to use it.

I’m sure I’ll get criticized for this post. But it honestly seems like common sense & courtesy to me.

Most gyms I have been to have signs for most of these apart from the common sense ones and they all have an induction session which tends to cover a few of the above listed too. It is annoying sometimes, but does everyone not get annoyed at people at work, in the grocery store, at the doctors' surgery, the dentist, etc. Do we all need an etiquette list for every single place we go... I mean do we need to be nannied and can there not be more tolerance for the odd (I am sure every single time you visit the gym, there is not someone annoying you), infraction?!

I bet you OP have annoyed some person at some time or other, no?

I’m sure I have. But I try my best to be considerate & not to ;-)
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Biggest pet peeve is when you're in group fitness class...shut the heck up when the instructor is teaching. Its just rude to the class and the instructor.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Everyone at my gym bends over backwards to be polite to each other - the only real grievance I ever have is that there's only one pair of 2.5 lb plates, and they seem to disappear just when I'm trying to improve my bench press. We have all kinds of people, really huge guys, an old guy trying to recover strength following a stroke, a bunch of ladies at different fitness levels.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    not a pet peeve, nor does it bother me...

It's just that I see a few guys (never women) training (and there is a lowercase T in 'training') while wearing surgical scrubs.

I've just thought that maybe they are trying to impress or maybe they don't want to take the time to change into more conventional training attire.

There's one guy that trains in surgical scrubs and he also wears the clogs that some providers wear in the OR.

It just strikes me as a lil' peculiar, that's all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    not a pet peeve, nor does it bother me...

It's just that I see a few guys (never women) training (and there is a lowercase T in 'training') while wearing surgical scrubs.

I've just thought that maybe they are trying to impress or maybe they don't want to take the time to change into more conventional training attire.

There's one guy that trains in surgical scrubs and he also wears the clogs that some providers wear in the OR.

It just strikes me as a lil' peculiar, that's all.

I have never worn them, but the nurses in my family (I have a lot of them) swear that scrubs are the most comfortable clothing they own. Maybe the guy in your gym is dressing for comfort?
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I grunt. I pant. I'm a loud person. I can't help it, I even grunt putting laundry away. I love my new gym because the music is so loud no one can hear me. I restrain myself when anyone is close, but it helps a lot if I feel welcome anywhere I might be.
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    i have to know . . . i've never even seen the inside of a men's locker room, but has anyone ever asked one of those proverbial older guys if they can 'work in' on the hand dryer? or asked how many sets they have left?

idk, maybe the old-guy-drying-his-balls is an urban myth. but if it isn't then i might pay to see such an exchange.

Have a regular at my gym who uses the hair dryer on his pubes, and one who dries his chest hair!
  • robinrows
    robinrows Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I think when gym’s sign up new members they should give them a gym etiquette lesson along with the tour of the gym. Maybe post up signs too for old members to remind them of things like:

And guys -- launder your gym clothes once in a while. No one wants to gag on your stink.

There are a few members who literally wear the same exact outfit to the gym every single day like it’s their uniform. Hey whatever you are comfortable wearing, I don’t treat the gym like a fashion show either. But I do secretly wonder if they wash it between visits.

or.....they own several sets of identical kit! I tend to stick with kit that doesn't rub (on longer rows), fits well etc - once I find something I like I buy several.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    robinrows wrote: »
    i have to know . . . i've never even seen the inside of a men's locker room, but has anyone ever asked one of those proverbial older guys if they can 'work in' on the hand dryer? or asked how many sets they have left?

idk, maybe the old-guy-drying-his-balls is an urban myth. but if it isn't then i might pay to see such an exchange.

Have a regular at my gym who uses the hair dryer on his pubes, and one who dries his chest hair!

I saw an old man blow-drying his butt hair one time.

Or the 90 year old guy walking around with his sagging butt cheeks. He then goes to the sink to shave and rest his junk on the counter. His stretchy skin I'm surprised the junk didn't slide down into the sink. He looked like melted candle wax. I know I'm mean, but everyone else wears a towel. Can't wait til I'm 90 so I can do it too,lol.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    MY old gym had a few rags and a spray bottle around to wipe down equipment -- unfortunately I don't think the rags were very clean and who knows what was in the spray bottles. My new gym has stations all over with wet wipes so you can take a fresh wipe, use it on your equipment, and then toss it out. It's a rule in the spin class to wipe down your sweaty bike when you are done!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Z_I_L_L_A wrote: »
    robinrows wrote: »

I saw an old man blow-drying his butt hair one time.

Or the 90 year old guy walking around with his sagging butt cheeks. He then goes to the sink to shave and rest his junk on the counter. His stretchy skin I'm surprised the junk didn't slide down into the sink. He looked like melted candle wax. I know I'm mean, but everyone else wears a towel. Can't wait til I'm 90 so I can do it too,lol.

easily one of the best things about getting older- you don't GAF about ANNNNNYTHING.